inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Bowery Boys

Written By: AL-B on 03/10/05 at 11:05 pm

Every now and then, when I read an article or hear someone talking about the culture of New York City, I'll hear a reference to the "Bowery Boys."  After doing some research I found that they were a comedy group that made a number of movies throughout the 1940's and 50's.  For some reason they don't seem quite as well-known as other comedy acts of their era, such as Abbott and Costello or the Marx Brothers or The Three Stooges, to name a few. Was their popularity confined mainly to the East Coast (NYC specifically)? I've never seen any of their movies and was wondering if anyone here has.

Subject: Re: Bowery Boys

Written By: bj26 on 03/11/05 at 9:36 am

I watched the Bowery Boys when I was a little kid, they were great.  I thought Spike Mulligan was a good role model cause he was a heroic figure though poor and kind of a delinquent.  Especially liked Satchala.
                     http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/pic200/drP000/P072/P07271A761T.jpg      http://www.home.earthlink.net/~bcwalk/bowimg/huntz.gif

Written By: hot_wax on 03/12/05 at 9:10 am

Every now and then, when I read an article or hear someone talking about the culture of New York City, I'll hear a reference to the "Bowery Boys."  After doing some research I found that they were a comedy group that made a number of movies throughout the 1940's and 50's.  For some reason they don't seem quite as well-known as other comedy acts of their era, such as Abbott and Costello or the Marx Brothers or The Three Stooges, to name a few. Was their popularity confined mainly to the East Coast (NYC specifically)? I've never seen any of their movies and was wondering if anyone here has.

Hi ya', Al-B, The "Bowery Boys" were the comedy relief of bad boys in NYC. The original group were called the "Dead End Kids" from the 1930's movie "Angles with Dirty Faces" staring James Cagney, it's a classic, rent the movie. Leo Gorcy played "Spit" in the original he was mean and cool, then "Muggsy" in the the comedy spin off was the leader of the gang but clownish. When I was a little squirt, we used to go to the Saturday matinee's the early fifties and see one of the " Bowery Boys" half hour flick's 25 cartoons and 2 major movies, mostly westerns and comedies all for 25 cents at the Rivoli on Ferry St. in Newark, New "Joizee". Being from Newark, a city somewhat like NYC, the "Bower Boys" were a role model for us and we had many want-a-be" Muggsy" in the neighborhood but the who acted more like "Spit" was the one who got the respect as the leader...until another Spit came along and the fights began, they were the good old days!

Street smarts were the only good thing that we got from the "Dead End Kids", the "Bowery Boys" movie plots got to corny and thought Muggsy should have acted more like Spit to gain our respect back for him and them, if he did, those guys could have carried much longer and maybe to the popularity of what the "Sapranos" are today...but that's Hollywood!

Hot Wax

Written By: w on 03/12/05 at 1:09 pm

The Bowery in New York was Known for it's gangs of poor and homeless boys around the turn of the century. It wasn't considered safe for outsiders. It was one of the areas where church groups tried many of their ways to help the poor. That's why it's in the movie. When you see mention of the Boys from before the movie they're talking about the gangs. W

Written By: hot_wax on 03/15/05 at 11:59 am

The Bowery in New York was Known for it's gangs of poor and homeless boys around the turn of the century. It wasn't considered safe for outsiders. It was one of the areas where church groups tried many of their ways to help the poor. That's why it's in the movie. When you see mention of the Boys from before the movie they're talking about the gangs. W

You'er correct on the history as movie "Gangs of NewYork" portrays it from it's beginings in the mid 1800's. It's a far cry difference between the two Hollywood era's versions. I don't know how we would take it if Muggsy butchered a few people in his comedy skits like how a real gang leader got his respect!

Hot Wax

Written By: mike on 04/02/05 at 10:18 pm

The Bowery boys were a staple on TV in MPLS during the 50's and 60's. They mixed comedy and action. Sach was a great comedian. Slip was a great tough guy leader. After he knocked a big bad guy out, he casually said, "Cover him up."  I'm 52 and still miss them. I remember in the early 80's Sach, (Huntz Hall), did soem funny TV commercials. If anyone knows his widow's email, I would love to write her.

Mike Bangs
bhawk72679@aol.com

Check for new replies or respond here...