inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Beatles mystery song messages...is Paul DEAD?...

Written By: hot_wax on 03/27/05 at 1:09 am

I don't where I'm going with this but I was putting on the Sgt. Pepper album and I stared at the album cover and flash backs of the "Paul is dead!" rumor came to surface in my memory. A rumor that all started from the moment the album was released. Someone somewhere saw things in the album cover picture suggesting that Paul McCartney is dead and not to have the world panic with the sudden news of the loss rather give subtle secret messages in their songs to ease the world into accepting his death. Others said the messages were that the lost Continent of Atlantis was going to rise from the ocean and become a Hippie commune, others believed the Beatles were Space Aliens with mind altering powers spreading Love and Peace through the messages to make a better world.

There was many others theories, maybe you your own, but all and all it sold records and they kept on giving messages to your imagination in White Album, Magical Mystery Tour, and even in the Abby Road they gave you a big suggested message that Paul was dead right in the back picture of them crossing the street in a funeral precession with John leading the way as in a white suit representing Heaven, 2d., Ringo in a funeral directors suit, 3d. a Paul look alike in bare feet as how they buried the corpse in that way, and finally the graveyard digger George in work jeans representing last person to put the dead to rest, and there are other hints in the picture can you see them?

Like I said I don't know where this is going but it sparked my memory and it was fun at the time to find the messages check them out now if you weren't born then and lets chat about it...it's cool

Subject: Re: Beatles mystery song messages...is Paul DEAD?...

Written By: ADH13 on 03/27/05 at 1:25 am

i actually have a couple of those records on 33... I'll have to dig them out of my closet tomorrow and check them out.. I haven't looked at them in years since I have no record player to play them on!

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/27/05 at 2:28 am

I don't where I'm going with this but I was putting on the Sgt. Pepper album and I stared at the album cover and flash backs of the "Paul is dead!" rumor came to surface in my memory. A rumor that all started from the moment the album was released. Someone somewhere saw things in the album cover picture suggesting that Paul McCartney is dead and not to have the world panic with the sudden news of the loss rather give subtle secret messages in their songs to ease the world into accepting his death. Others said the messages were that the lost Continent of Atlantis was going to rise from the ocean and become a Hippie commune, others believed the Beatles were Space Aliens with mind altering powers spreading Love and Peace through the messages to make a better world.

There was many others theories, maybe you your own, but all and all it sold records and they kept on giving messages to your imagination in White Album, Magical Mystery Tour, and even in the Abby Road they gave you a big suggested message that Paul was dead right in the back picture of them crossing the street in a funeral precession with John leading the way as in a white suit representing Heaven, 2d., Ringo in a funeral directors suit, 3d. a Paul look alike in bare feet as how they buried the corpse in that way, and finally the graveyard digger George in work jeans representing last person to put the dead to rest, and there are other hints in the picture can you see them?

Like I said I don't know where this is going but it sparked my memory and it was fun at the time to find the messages check them out now if you weren't born then and lets chat about it...it's cool

Paul is walking with his eyes closed, like a dead man, on the Abbey Road cover.

Written By: Paul on 03/27/05 at 10:16 am

Another interesting 'theory'...

Have a look at that white VW Beetle parked on the left-hand side of the LP cover - the final part of the registration number reads '281F', which was taken by many to mean that Paul would have been '28 IF' he had lived (at the time of the LP's release...)

Spooky? Or just a bit of pandering to the 'Paul is dead' crowd?

Either way, we'll probably never know...

There was also talk many years ago of John chanting 'I bury Paul' at the very end of 'Strawberry Fields Forever' - doesn't sound nothing of the sort to me, he's actually saying 'Cranberry Sauce'...

Written By: sputnikcorp on 03/27/05 at 10:30 am

i think the pink floyd's dark side of the moon /wizard of oz connection is an amazing coincidence. there's far too many 'paul is dead' references, i think the beatles were having a laugh towards the fans.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/27/05 at 12:17 pm

The Sgt. Pepper album had a few of those. The hand over Paul on the front cover and the fact that Paul had his back to the camera on the inside cover. While I NEVER did this myself, they say if you play Revolution #9 (off the White Album) you can hear "Paul is dead. Paul is dead." Has anyone done this? Just curious. The funny thing is, it appears that Paul may outlive all of them. (Only Paul and Ringo are left  :\'().

Cat

Written By: sputnikcorp on 03/27/05 at 12:26 pm

The Sgt. Pepper album had a few of those. The hand over Paul on the front cover and the fact that Paul had his back to the camera on the inside cover. While I NEVER did this myself, they say if you play Revolution #9 (off the White Album) you can hear "Paul is dead. Paul is dead." Has anyone done this? Just curious. The funny thing is, it appears that Paul may outlive all of them. (Only Paul and Ringo are left  :\'().

Cat

last year i stumbled upon a site that had a fan who done that, played that song backwards and had a player for us to hear. it was creepy and i can barely hear voices that came close to saying paul is dead.

Written By: gord on 03/27/05 at 7:02 pm

i think the pink floyd's dark side of the moon /wizard of oz connection is an amazing coincidence.

what I find amazing is that if it was a coincidence that someone actually discovered it :)

Written By: sputnikcorp on 03/27/05 at 7:06 pm

what I find amazing is that if it was a coincidence that someone actually discovered it :)

i know, what are the odds of that happening. it must have been someone watching the wizard of oz and someone else had darkside blasting in another room.

Written By: gord on 03/27/05 at 7:11 pm

i know, what are the odds of that happening. it must have been someone watching the wizard of oz and someone else had darkside blasting in another room.

I know, what are the odds? the timing has to be bang on, cool if it happened like that but who knows 8)

Written By: hot_wax on 03/28/05 at 1:30 am

Cat

Cat, on the cover, the yellow flower arrangement in the shape of a left handed bass guitar on what looks like a gravesite indicates it's Paul that's buried there. What looks like wax figures, Ringo is being consoled by Paul as they're staring down at the gravesite.

Other messages kids came up with when the dig began: planted ones and imaginary ones

Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds is obvious... LSD trip song

"She's leaving home" last paragraph encouraged kids and adults to run away or "drop out" and then San Fransisco's Haite Ashbury was the place to go, and dropping out was rampet.

Life flows on within you and "without you" ...it sounds like an ode to Paul's life.     

Lovely Rita made smoking pot cool with a sister or two.

And the the Grand daddy of them all..."A Day in the Life" the hole song was about the death of someone, but, Who? all the clues indicates Paul...but no one really knew for sure back then or wanted to believe it but this was an album that was nothing like any other albums ever made before, it was like a soap opera theme which springboarded new Artists to the rock opera era picking up the concept.

This was a smart ploy, it sold millions of albums, it went so well they kept the message thing going in all their albums thereafter.#9 on the White Album like you said, Helter Skelter was Charlie Manson's rampage message for his killings...he heard something in that song that motivated him to kill...this is the extreme example of how people looked for messages that where planted and imaginary ones.

Ther's many more can you find them? how about connecting the Dots in front of the Beatles on the Abby road Album, what does it read? aahhh huh! you see how they were making kids nuts then.

I'll get to you or you to me. Hot Wax

Written By: hot_wax on 03/28/05 at 1:38 am

Another interesting 'theory'...

Have a look at that white VW Beetle parked on the left-hand side of the LP cover - the final part of the registration number reads '281F', which was taken by many to mean that Paul would have been '28 IF' he had lived (at the time of the LP's release...)

Spooky? Or just a bit of pandering to the 'Paul is dead' crowd?

Either way, we'll probably never know...

There was also talk many years ago of John chanting 'I bury Paul' at the very end of 'Strawberry Fields Forever' - doesn't sound nothing of the sort to me, he's actually saying 'Cranberry Sauce'...

Hey Paul, Yeay,"28 if" is one of them. The imposter is holding a cigarette in his right hand and Paul is left handed.

Hot Wax

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/28/05 at 4:09 am

Hey Paul, Yeay,"28 if" is one of them. The imposter is holding a cigarette in his right hand and Paul is left handed.

Hot Wax
So the Sir Paul today is the imposter then?

Written By: sputnikcorp on 03/28/05 at 8:07 am

yes, but a clone.

Written By: blinkyfish on 03/28/05 at 8:26 pm

The "Paul is Dead" hoax is a fascinating subject. I've read two books on the subject- Turn me on dead man, by Andru J. Reeve and The walrus was Paul by R. Gary Patterson. There are numerous clues(too many to mention here) but here are a few.On the back cover of Sgt. Pepper, paul has his back to the camera. If you look at Georges hand in this photo, he seems to be pointing to a line in the song she's leaving home. Wednesday morning at 5 o'clock as the day begins. This is the time Paul supposedly died in a car accident. in a day in the life John sings "he blew his mind out in a car,he didn't notice that the lights had changed. A crowd of people stood and stared, they seen his face before". On the front cover there is a hand over Pauls head signifying he's the one who's dead. on the inside photo all the Beatles look like they're standing, but Pauls knees are visable. It looks like their holding him up. On his sleeve in this picture is a patch that says- O.P.D.(offically Pronounced dead) on the cover of magical mystery tour the walrus is in a crucified position. In glass onion on the White Album John sings " heres another clue for you all, the walrus was Paul". Between I'm so tired and blackbird on side two of the white album, you can hear mumbling, if played backwards you can hear John say "Paul is a dead man, miss him,miss him, miss him". If you play the part in revolution 9 that goes "number 9, number 9 ....backwards it says "turn me on dead man" At the end of Strawberry Fields as the song fades out you can hear John say "I buried Paul. On the cover of Abbey Road Paul is bare foot(in some countries they bury the dead with no shoes) and he is "Out of step" with the rest of The Group. On the back of the album, before the word Beatles, there is a bunch of dots, connect them and it says 3 Beatles. Well thats all for now!

Written By: sputnikcorp on 03/28/05 at 8:44 pm

that OPD is actually the patch of the ontario provincial police, the OPP.

Written By: blinkyfish on 03/28/05 at 9:03 pm

that OPD is actually the patch of the ontario provincial police, the OPP.

And John is actually in the walrus costume......I was just listing some of the clues that people read into this hoax.

Written By: sputnikcorp on 03/28/05 at 9:05 pm

And John is actually in the walrus costume......I was just listing some of the clues that people read into this hoax.

i have the sgt. pepper CD buried somewhere, i want to look for these clues, maybe the patch does say OPD...

Written By: hot_wax on 03/28/05 at 10:05 pm

Phiip E., there was a big promotion contest on all the NYC radio stations way back when they were their first tour of the USA. The contest was for the best Beatles" look-a-like it" went on for a week or two non-stop every other commercial pounding out "do you look like a Beatle?" sent us your picture as soon as possible! and it ended without any notice and never reference to it again and didn't mention who won or what they won, it was swept under carpet. Nobody paid attention to it and blew it off as another phony gimmick to add to the Beatlemania phenomenon.

That was in 1964 the Pepper album came out in 67 and people didn't forget that contest. This was the missing factor to lead you to believe that they needed someone to replace person in the Beatles because they were to popular with the world to have to the band dis-band due to a death of one of them, and to just replace one with someone new what be the death of the band also. Fanatic Beatles fans put 2&2 together when the rumors started. All the clues on the Pepper album cover and the music messages lead you to believe that it was Paul that was dead and now there is an impostor in his place. There was panic for awhile amoungst the die hards but the reality of the concept with rational minds understood the fun of their hoax and knew that Paul was the real Paul...or is he? some still think the real Paul died in a car accident in Miami FL after their concert... but we all know he is Sir Paul today... but is he the real Paul?

Hot Wax  

Written By: hot_wax on 03/28/05 at 10:33 pm

The "Paul is Dead" hoax is a fascinating subject. I've read two books on the subject- Turn me on dead man, by Andru J. Reeve and The walrus was Paul by R. Gary Patterson. There are numerous clues(too many to mention here) but here are a few.On the back cover of Sgt. Pepper, paul has his back to the camera. If you look at Georges hand in this photo, he seems to be pointing to a line in the song she's leaving home. Wednesday morning at 5 o'clock as the day begins. This is the time Paul supposedly died in a car accident. in a day in the life John sings "he blew his mind out in a car,he didn't notice that the lights had changed. A crowd of people stood and stared, they seen his face before". On the front cover there is a hand over Pauls head signifying he's the one who's dead. on the inside photo all the Beatles look like they're standing, but Pauls knees are visable. It looks like their holding him up. On his sleeve in this picture is a patch that says- O.P.D.(offically Pronounced dead) on the cover of magical mystery tour the walrus is in a crucified position. In glass onion on the White Album John sings " heres another clue for you all, the walrus was Paul". Between I'm so tired and blackbird on side two of the white album, you can hear mumbling, if played backwards you can hear John say "Paul is a dead man, miss him,miss him, miss him". If you play the part in revolution 9 that goes "number 9, number 9 ....backwards it says "turn me on dead man" At the end of Strawberry Fields as the song fades out you can hear John say "I buried Paul. On the cover of Abbey Road Paul is bare foot(in some countries they bury the dead with no shoes) and he is "Out of step" with the rest of The Group. On the back of the album, before the word Beatles, there is a bunch of dots, connect them and it says 3 Beatles. Well thats all for now!

Blink', it certainly makes you think, doesn't it? even today there could be some questions, personally I think John and the impostor put up with each other for awhile but John missed Paul to much to go on with the Beatles and that's why he ended Beatles at the height of their popularity...but that's my thinking only or does any one else have a theory on why they really ended the Beatles...I don't believe they out grown it and wanted to move on with their lives...are the Stones still together today?

Hot Wax

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/29/05 at 1:07 am

i have the sgt. pepper CD buried somewhere, i want to look for these clues, maybe the patch does say OPD...
The clues will be seen better on the LP cover not the CD.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/29/05 at 10:26 am

There's about as much chance that Paul is dead as there is that Jim Morrison is alive! :D

Written By: sputnikcorp on 03/29/05 at 11:20 am

The clues will be seen better on the LP cover not the CD.

i bought the LP at a garage sale last summer for a buck. i thought i lucked out then when i got it home, it was scratched to the point of being unlistenable. i should frame the cover.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/29/05 at 11:23 am

i bought the LP at a garage sale last summer for a buck. i thought i lucked out then when i got it home, it was scratched to the point of being unlistenable. i should frame the cover.
Keep the cover, it is surely worth something on its own, in the long run you may find a copy of the LP without the cover, you can combine the two together and then you will have a completed album.

Written By: sputnikcorp on 03/29/05 at 1:12 pm

the cover is a keeper. i would have paid twenty for just the cover.

Written By: blinkyfish on 03/29/05 at 3:54 pm

I think your right. I remember reading somewhere that the patch is indeed from the Ontario Police Dept.

Written By: hot_wax on 03/29/05 at 8:23 pm

There's about as much chance that Paul is dead as there is that Jim Morrison is alive! :D

Hey Rock! Jim Morrison?...you say he ALIVE!? pass the word!!

rumors rumors rumors they'll be the death of somebody someday...Just ask Sir Paul

Written By: Andru Reeve on 03/29/05 at 9:48 pm

Hello, people...

I've just revised, rewritten, and reissued my book TURN ME ON, DEAD MAN.  It's available on Amazon.com if anyone is interested.  Much more detailed than the version of the book from 1994!!

--- ANDRU

P.S.  Email me if you have any questions or comments.

Written By: Pinz on 03/29/05 at 11:50 pm

Written By: Pinz on 03/29/05 at 11:57 pm

Hiya Everyone:
I am a HUGE Beatles fan, Paul being my favorite. I have one question about this "Paul is dead" business......

WHY did they do this? What did they gain by it? I was very young when this came about.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/30/05 at 12:02 am

rumors rumors rumors they'll be the death of somebody someday...Just ask Sir Paul
Elvis Presley was last seen working in a supermarket in Romford.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/30/05 at 10:48 am

Elvis Presley was last seen working in a supermarket in Romford.

Really? I thought that he lived around here. A friend of mine used to work at the local K-Mart and she told me that he used to come in quite frequently. I have seen him myself a few times.

Cat

Written By: Paul on 03/30/05 at 1:26 pm

Hiya Everyone:
I am a HUGE Beatles fan, Paul being my favorite. I have one question about this "Paul is dead" business......

WHY did they do this? What did they gain by it? I was very young when this came about.

It's just one of those hoaxes that 'snowballed', Pinz...even so, it was something of a rarity back then...

But it led to more hoaxing...before they achieved recognition outside Australia, the music media was led to believe that the Bee Gees were, in fact, the Beatles under a different name ('Bee Gee' meaning 'BG' meaning 'Beatle Group') - not very convincing, but...

In 1968, a very mysterious record hit the shops entitled 'We Are The Moles' by The Moles - once again, those who should've known better said it was The Fabs issuing incognito material...turns out it was Simon Dupree & The Big Sound (of 'Kites' fame) under the masquerade...

And lastly, in the mid-70s another mysterious (although genuine) group called Klaatu were taken to be the reformed Beatles (in the days when talk of a reunion was rife)...sadly it wasn't, and it did Klaatu's career no good whatsoever...

So whether or not it was some record company executive's clever idea in selling a record, or someone's over-active imagination - nothing used to create interest more than saying The Beatles were involved - genuine or not...

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/30/05 at 1:36 pm

That's right, hot_wax ;) ;D

Written By: sputnikcorp on 03/30/05 at 1:55 pm

i was discussing the group klaatu with a friend of mine last night about how they were mistaken for the beatles. we were listening to the carpenter's version of 'calling occupants...' and he remarked how beatlesque the song sounded.

Written By: hot_wax on 04/03/05 at 11:11 pm

Written By: hot_wax on 06/08/06 at 8:04 pm

IluvCrackerGrommit this old post is for you and anyone else who still thinks that today's Paul is the real McCoy or in this case McCartney.

HW

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/10/06 at 1:08 am

IluvCrackerGrommit this old post is for you and anyone else who still thinks that today's Paul is the real McCoy or in this case McCartney.

HW

It's ironic Macca will probably be the last Beatle to die in real life (with Ringo being two years older).

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/10/06 at 1:50 am

It's ironic Macca will probably be the last Beatle to die in real life (with Ringo being two years older).
...and will be 64 in October this year.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 06/10/06 at 2:04 am

HW
C'mon, the rumor mill is crazy sometimes.  Of course it's Paul. Saw him up close and personal last Nov 2005. I hope he tours in California again.  8)

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/10/06 at 2:10 am

C'mon, the rumor mill is crazy sometimes.  Of course it's Paul. Saw him up close and personal last Nov 2005. I hope he tours in California again.  8)
When I saw Paul McCartney walking down Dean Street, central London, back in the mid 80s, he looked well alive to me.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 06/10/06 at 2:12 am

When I saw Paul McCartney walking down Dean Street, central London, back in the mid 80s, he looked well alive to me.
did you invite him in for a cup of tea and a butter pie?

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/10/06 at 2:18 am

did you invite him in for a cup of tea and a butter pie?
I was shocked to see him, but had no piece of paper for him to sign for me.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 06/10/06 at 2:20 am

that was good enough to walk the streets with him

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/10/06 at 2:22 am

that was good enough to walk the streets with him
He was walking towards me.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 06/10/06 at 2:44 am

perhaps he was thinking the same thing about you?

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/10/06 at 2:45 am

perhaps he was thinking the same thing about you?
I am in the position to locate him again.

Check for new replies or respond here...