inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Pet Sounds vs Sgt. Pepper's

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/30/05 at 1:58 am

These must be the too most compared albums of all time. Yet, it's still interesting to see peoples' opinions on both. Foregoing Beatles/Beach Boys arguments, which of the two do you think has it over the other and can be given the title of 'Best Rock Album of all time.' Although Pet Sounds isn't very 'rock' as we now know it. Or at least, which of the two is better?

For me, it would be Pet Sounds, one of my favourite albums of all time. I've listened to both many times over, but Pet Sounds' beautifully melancholic, at times slightly psychadelic melodies, the harmonies and lush instrumentals make it hard to beat. Sgt. Pepper's was a Circus. It was as if the Beatles' wanted to make a silly album. Experimental and overtly ambitious, it comes a cross as a bit overproduced and lacking in consistency.

It's hard to pick a favourite track from Pet Sounds, as they are all so good. But 'I Just Wasn't Made For These Times' and maybe 'Sloop John B' (although it was a touch cheesy) would be it. As for Sgt. Pepper's, 'A Day In The Life' or 'She's Leaving Home.'

Subject: Re: Pet Sounds vs Sgt. Pepper's

Written By: sputnikcorp on 03/30/05 at 9:16 am

the beatles could not have made sgt. pepper the way it was had not the beach boys made pet sounds, one needed the other. both albums are brilliant.

Written By: Paul on 03/30/05 at 10:00 am

the beatles could not have made sgt. pepper the way it was had not the beach boys made pet sounds, one needed the other. both albums are brilliant.

Absolutely...both groups (moreso Brian Wilson in the Beach Boys case) were batting against each other...Brian heard 'Rubber Soul' and came up with 'Pet Sounds', then The Beatles heard that and came up with 'Revolver'...

Had things gone according to plan, Brian would have then launched 'Smile', but you all (should) know the story behind that...

For me, 'Pet Sounds' is the better album of the two ('Pepper' was a bit too  indulgent in places...), but if you had put it against 'Revolver' I would have had a heck of a job...!

Written By: zcrito on 03/30/05 at 11:52 pm

Why compare Pet Sounds to Sgt. Pepper's? I never thought Sgt. Pep was The Beatles best. Pet Sounds is a fine album and "Wouldn't It Be Nice" is one of my favorite songs of the '60s, and I really like the barking dog and all, but it doesn't compare to any of the best albums of the Fab Four.

Written By: blinkyfish on 03/31/05 at 6:09 pm

Paul McCartney stated in an interview that when he heard Pet Sounds, he was so blown away by it, it inspired him to do Pepper.
For me it's a tough call, but I have to go with Sgt. Pepper. :D

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/01/05 at 11:44 pm

Why compare Pet Sounds to Sgt. Pepper's? I never thought Sgt. Pep was The Beatles best. Pet Sounds is a fine album and "Wouldn't It Be Nice" is one of my favorite songs of the '60s, and I really like the barking dog and all, but it doesn't compare to any of the best albums of the Fab Four.

I think that Pet Sounds was better than anything the Beatles had released. Unless the Beatles had released the following tracks in one album (a bit like a 'greatest hits'). Hey, I've got a good idea for a new thread..l. :)

Written By: schmartypantz on 04/02/05 at 11:04 am

Sgt Pepper. easily , for me.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 04/02/05 at 1:49 pm

I love both but I'd give the very slight edge to The Beatles :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/02/05 at 2:08 pm

It has to be Sgt Pepper!

Written By: Toddball on 04/15/05 at 3:27 am

As far as I'm concerned, Pet Sounds will always be a lush, visual, and gorgeous piece of music. Sgt. Pepper definitely had hooks as far as pop songs are concerned, but Pet Sounds is an album I can put on and always feel refreshed. Sgt. Pepper, if I hear it at certain times, I hear nothing but a bunch of psychadelic bullroar that has instrumentation competing with vocals. Honestly, does anything surpass the beauty of God Only Knows?

Written By: Tanya1976 on 04/19/05 at 7:11 pm

Sgt. Pepper's without a doubt! Though I do love "God Only Knows" from Pet Sounds.

Tanya

Written By: Woops (Unlogged) on 04/19/05 at 8:16 pm

"Sgt. Pepper's" The Beatles, hands down...though I only own their "#1's" CD & "Abbey Road" LP... 8)

Though "Pet Sounds" make a great coaster  :D  ;D  :P

Written By: Webstor on 04/21/05 at 12:40 am

Foregoing the traditional arguments over which album and group is better...

My FAVORITE of the two is Pet Sounds......truly a landmark album.

Sgt Pepper's sounds like a circus, and very experimental...because thats exactly what it was.

Sgt Pepper was the Beatles answer, or re-tort, to Pet Sounds. 
Both are great....but I prefer pet sounds

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/21/05 at 4:12 am

I would wager opinions would differ if you compared Pet Sounds with Revolver, which is perhaps a more accurate comparison as both were released in the same year (1966). Of course I would pick Pet Sounds, though Revolver is among the top 3 Beatles' albums.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 04/21/05 at 1:31 pm

I would wager opinions would differ if you compared Pet Sounds with Revolver, which is perhaps a more accurate comparison as both were released in the same year (1966). Revolver is among the top 3 Beatles' albums.
I agree ;)

Written By: Sick of Britney on 04/22/05 at 7:57 pm

Not to sound rude, but... How is "Pet Sounds" a landmark album?  ???

Written By: Webstor on 04/22/05 at 10:22 pm

If you have to ask that question, you are either under the age of 18, or just havent learned to appreciate the men who helped shape rock n roll as we know it today yet.........Not to be rude.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 04/22/05 at 10:47 pm

I would wager opinions would differ if you compared Pet Sounds with Revolver, which is perhaps a more accurate comparison as both were released in the same year (1966). Of course I would pick Pet Sounds, though Revolver is among the top 3 Beatles' albums.

Ditto on the comparison! Yet, I would still select "Revolver".

Tanya

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/28/05 at 1:01 am

One really has to listen to Pet Sounds to appreciate it...and then some people (especially the younger generations) still would not get it. Few can match Brian Wilson's grasp of melody.  Revolver was a very good album...but, again like most Beatles' albums had alot of filler...comparing songs like Dr. Robert and Taxman with such classics as Here Today and I Just Wasn't Made For These Times shows the difference.

Written By: ROb on 04/29/05 at 7:44 pm

Im not sure why you say the Beatles could not have made Sgt Pepper without pet sounds, i totally diagree. The Bealtes were already making music similar to Sgt Pepper, such as Strawberry Fields, Tommorow Never Knows

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/30/05 at 5:47 am

Speaking of Sgt. Pepper's I actually prefer Magical Mystery Tour (not by much) to Sgt Pepper's. It is definately the most underrated Beatles' albums. Although it is true that the competition between the two inspired each to better the other (hence produce better music).

Written By: PennyLane0630 on 09/05/05 at 1:53 pm

Both were so amazing, but I'm have to vote for Sgt Pepper because it was just so unique....er. ::)

Written By: rob on 10/29/05 at 10:11 pm

One really has to listen to Pet Sounds to appreciate it...and then some people (especially the younger generations) still would not get it. Few can match Brian Wilson's grasp of melody.  Revolver was a very good album...but, again like most Beatles' albums had alotof filler...comparing songs like Dr. Robert and Taxman with such classics as Here Today and I Just Wasn't Made For These Times shows the difference.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "most Beatles albums has a lot of filler", only St Pepper had a few songs that George Martin had added loops of sounds, Look at which album sold more and there is no comparison, Sgt Pepper out sold Pet Sounds big time. The Beach Boys only # 1 hit was Kukumo.
Dr Robert and Taxman is all Guitar bass and Drums there is no filler. You might want to listen a little more closely. The only song on Revolver that had any filler, as you call it, was Tommorrow never knows which is a cool song.
AlthoughI love the Beach Boys, there is no comparsion.

Written By: Trimac20 on 10/29/05 at 10:40 pm

I don't know what chart you're looking at, but the Beach Boys had countless no 1 hits including 'I Get Around', 'Good Vibrations' and of course 'Kokomo.' But I don't regard commercial success as an indicator of how good a band is. As an album, Pet Sounds was the one shining moment of the Beach Boys' career (to a lesser extent the earlier singles, and spotradically throughout the rest of their career), and I think Wilson and the Beach Boys have been downplayed next to other 60s bands. As a band overall, I think the Beatles were overally more consistently 'better' but there are few things the Beatles did that could equal Pet Sounds.

Written By: schmartypantz on 10/30/05 at 1:52 pm

In my opinion,Good Vibrations was pure corn. and an attempt to re-establish the Beach Boys as still being cool and hip.
It didn't work for me.
There I said it :P
I do think they had many better songs than Good vibrations tho.
but this is off the subject. I still like Sgt Pepper better.
and Revolver too. :)

Written By: Time Lord on 11/01/05 at 5:34 pm

brian wilsons pet sounds....  didnt care much for the beatles later stuff, starting with lonely hearts club band.

Written By: rob on 11/25/05 at 5:41 pm

I don't know what chart you're looking at, but the Beach Boys had countless no 1 hits including 'I Get Around', 'Good Vibrations' and of course 'Kokomo.' But I don't regard commercial success as an indicator of how good a band is. As an album, Pet Sounds was the one shining moment of the Beach Boys' career (to a lesser extent the earlier singles, and spotradically throughout the rest of their career), and I think Wilson and the Beach Boys have been downplayed next to other 60s bands. As a band overall, I think the Beatles were overally more consistently 'better' but there are few things the Beatles did that could equal Pet Sounds.

I mis spoke, the only # 1 hit by the beach boys in the 60s was Good Vibrations. The chart I'm looking at? Go to the internet and type in # 1 hits in the 60s, .there ya have it

Written By: Mike on 04/20/06 at 9:16 am

I mis spoke, the only # 1 hit by the beach boys in the 60s was Good Vibrations. The chart I'm looking at? Go to the internet and type in # 1 hits in the 60s, .there ya have it

I Get Around/Don’t Worry Baby (Capitol 5174/11 May 1964) US: 1; UK: 7

Help Me, Rhonda/Kiss Me, Baby (Capitol 5395/5 April 1965) US: 1; UK: 27

Good Vibrations/Let's Go Away For Awhile (Capitol 5676/10 October 1966) US: 1; UK: 1

Do It Again/Wake The World (Capitol 2239/15 July 1968) US: 20; UK: 1

Moron  ;D

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/21/06 at 10:07 am

In my opinion,Good Vibrations was pure corn. and an attempt to re-establish the Beach Boys as still being cool and hip.
It didn't work for me.
There I said it :P
I do think they had many better songs than Good vibrations tho.
but this is off the subject. I still like Sgt Pepper better.
and Revolver too. :)

I too thought Good Vibrations was a bit faddish, even 'noveau' - a little bit over-elaborate when I first heard it. But it is one of those songs which reveals new things with repeated listens.

Check for new replies or respond here...