inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When did the 20th century start?

Written By: DevoRule on 04/16/05 at 4:06 pm

I'd say 1914.  The early 1900s were a lot like the late 1800s from what I know of history.

Subject: Re: When did the 20th century start?

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/16/05 at 4:34 pm

New Year's Day?

Written By: DevoRule on 04/16/05 at 4:38 pm

New Year's Day?

1900 or 1901?  ;D

Seriously, I know they starting Jan 1, 1901, but when would you say we moved from horse carraiges and the Wild West to the mechanical age?

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/16/05 at 4:41 pm

1900 or 1901?  ;D

Seriously, I know they starting Jan 1, 1901, but when would you say we moved from horse carraiges and the Wild West to the mechanical age?
Henry Ford had an engine running by 1893 but it was 1896 before he built his first car. By the end of the year Ford had sold his first car. So 1896, for the motor car.

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/17/05 at 2:00 am

^ True, but cars didn't become popular to the extent of there being paved roads across much of the country until, I think, the 1920's. It wasn't even until the 40's that most people could afford to own one.

I'd also say the 1900's were still alot like the 19th century, just from what I've seen of the ways of life. I think horse & buggy's pretty much took a backseat (no pun intended!) to cars in the late 1910's. So maybe WW1 was kind of the holdover period - I'd definitely say anything after it ended was 20th century.

Interesting note, but in the 90's, I once heard -- on Letterman, of all places -- a guest say, "My grandpa was born in 1892. And things were more similar 400 years earlier then they were 20 years later." I still remember that line 10 years later, 'cause of how accurate/interesting it seemed to me.

Thomas Edison came up with electricity in the late 1800's (I had a book on him once - great stuff, but I unfortunately lost it some time ago), so I think that, as well as plumbing also became big in the 1910 time frame.

Written By: w on 04/17/05 at 8:14 pm

Most people I know didn't get cars till the mid to late 20's. Ford's T came down in price as he kept mass produceing them. You couldn't run them in the winter, no plowed roads, and no anti-freeze. You used alcohol, and it boiled over real quick, so most drained them for the winter and stored them. In the spring the roads were mud and you couldn't get through in the country. They were a rich man's toy. By the mid 20's there was more money to buy things like that, and people did. At least till 29 when the market crashed

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 04/17/05 at 8:36 pm

New Year's Day?
January 1st 1900

Unless you're one of those who think the 20th century started on January 1st 1901

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/18/05 at 3:42 pm

Technically it started Jan. 1, 1901 and ended Dec. 31, 2000.

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/18/05 at 8:51 pm

Most people I know didn't get cars till the mid to late 20's. Ford's T came down in price as he kept mass produceing them. You couldn't run them in the winter, no plowed roads, and no anti-freeze. You used alcohol, and it boiled over real quick, so most drained them for the winter and stored them. In the spring the roads were mud and you couldn't get through in the country. They were a rich man's toy. By the mid 20's there was more money to buy things like that, and people did. At least till 29 when the market crashed

Interesting info - thanks. :)

I know 1908 was the 'breakthrough' year for the Model T, but it makes sense that it would take another couple decades before the masses started to be able to afford them (I guess having a car in 1910 would be like having a DVD player in 1997).

Wasn't it about 1940-50 before they became to where anyone could afford one? My grandpa was born in 1900 (there's about 40 years difference between him & my dad, then another 40+ years from him to me, explaining the huge generation gap), and he didn't even drive until he was around 45, I believe.

Written By: danootaandme on 04/19/05 at 6:32 am

I would say the century started at the conclusion of WWI.  The political and social upheavals brought
about by the war were unprecedented in recorded history.

Check for new replies or respond here...