inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Seekers favourites

Written By: Paul on 04/18/05 at 5:01 pm

Seeing Karen's recent poll on Peter, Paul & Mary made me exhume this Australian group who were in a similar sort-of vein...

Brilliant group too...Judith Durham had a superb voice...

My favourite (to be honest, they're all good)...'I'll Never Find Another You' (which I vividly remember being played about the house in my formative years...)

Subject: Re: Seekers favourites

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 04/18/05 at 5:26 pm

I had to say "Georgy Girl" because it's really the only song of theirs that I'm familiar with...

My mom used to play it on the piano all the time when I was just a tot!  :)

Written By: Paul on 04/18/05 at 5:38 pm

I had to say "Georgy Girl" because it's really the only song of theirs that I'm familiar with...

Understandable, as that was probably their biggest global hit...

It was from the film of the same name starring one of the Redgraves (but I can't remember which one...!)

Bless...!!

Written By: zcrito on 04/18/05 at 5:41 pm

Have you ever seen the movie?
I saw it a long time ago on television. It was one of those movies I had to see just because I remember its song and wanted to see how it got "worked" into the movie.

Written By: jaytee on 04/18/05 at 5:55 pm

"Georgy Girl" for me too. 

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 04/18/05 at 6:14 pm

Have you ever seen the movie?
I saw it a long time ago on television. It was one of those movies I had to see just because I remember its song and wanted to see how it got "worked" into the movie.

I have not seen it, zcrito, but I was aware that there was a film with this song in it.  :)

Written By: danootaandme on 04/19/05 at 6:39 am

I know I'll Never Find Another You is my favorite, and one of my favorite all time songs to boot. I
saw Georgy Girl when it came out and loved it, it began my lifelong love of British movies, with a cast that included James Mason, Lynne Redgrave and Alan Bates you really couldn't go wrong.  :)

Written By: Paul on 04/19/05 at 6:50 am

I saw Georgy Girl when it came out and loved it, it began my lifelong love of British movies, with a cast that included James Mason, Lynne Redgrave and Alan Bates you really couldn't go wrong.   :)

Lynne Redgrave...that's her...!! Thanks for that...

I can't remember whether I've seen the film in its entirety, which is a poor excuse as it's been on TV enough times...

Written By: mrgazpacho on 04/19/05 at 9:16 am

Georgy Girl

I like the swing it has - it seems to really move, despite the casual, laid-back surface.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 04/19/05 at 7:10 pm

Georgy Girl. The film's actually pretty good as well.

Tanya

Written By: zcrito on 04/19/05 at 9:26 pm

Georgy Girl. The film's actually pretty good as well.

Tanya

I can't imagine anyone under the age of say 30, knowing about much less having seen that film. It must be more common than I thought.

GG reminds me a little of "Alfie" in its own way. And they both came out the same year and about the same time, but it was Georgy after Alfie.

I don't know why but something happened to the British film industry a year or two after that. It just sort of died or disappeared.

:)

Written By: mandamoo on 04/20/05 at 7:06 am

Great poll Paul !

I love 'Georgy Gir'l for the same reasons mrgazpacho mentioned but my favourite is 'I'll Never Find Another You'  :)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 04/20/05 at 8:33 am

I can't imagine anyone under the age of say 30, knowing about much less having seen that film. It must be more common than I thought.

GG reminds me a little of "Alfie" in its own way. And they both came out the same year and about the same time, but it was Georgy after Alfie.

I don't know why but something happened to the British film industry a year or two after that. It just sort of died or disappeared.

:)

Yes, we're out there! I was exposed to a lot of pre-1970s films simply because I have parents born in the mid-1950s. So, I just swallowed everything they enjoyed in films and especially, music. Alfie's good too, though I couldn't help but feel he was a bit of a bastard in the beginning!

Tanya

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 04/30/05 at 8:55 am

Excellent poll, Paul  :)

The Carnival Is Over - just chokes me up

But I could listen to most Seekers songs over and over  :) :) :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/30/05 at 3:06 pm

I enjoy all the Seekers songs, but have a particular favourite in Take Me To the Emerald City

Written By: saver on 04/30/05 at 8:44 pm

I love the Seekers..too bad they didn't find 'lost songs'... :\'(

Check for new replies or respond here...