inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Why hate Barbara Striesand so much...

Written By: Sick of Britney on 04/19/05 at 8:20 pm

Besides her political views.

IMO, I only care about talent, music, movies. Not their views, or else I would also hate Sinead O'Connor. (BTW, I only like "Nothing Compares 2 U")

Though I admit her voice/music was annoying, but she looked  cute in the 1960's.

I'm more into rock than easy listening stuff...

Subject: Re: Why hate Barbara Striesand so much...

Written By: hot_wax on 04/20/05 at 11:48 pm

Hey S O B! you said she looked cute in the 60's, is that from frist hand or old pictures of her? what I'm asking is that were you around in the 60's and when did you start this dis-like for her? I hope you didn't carry this hate for her for the past 40 years...she's not that bad. She was influencial in the womens movement in the 60's, I admire her moxie and her talent even if I don't agree with her on her politics...who really cares what any entertainer has to say about politics unless your from California, they seem vote for the person who's into character the best and then give him an Oscar for the part, OH! I mean the Governor's job for it...Governor Terminator? what the hell does he know about running a state, I guess as much as Barbara or Mickey Mouse, lets see what the Red Carpet produces in the future maybe the rest of the country will get caught up in the Hollywood scripts and vote one of those "No-nothing actors without a cue card" for President...again.

Lighten up on Barbara she's a Millionaire singer/actress...that's all!...get over it!

Hot Wax     

Written By: schmartypantz on 04/21/05 at 11:03 am

Barbra has a great voice. I just don't care for the types of songs she sings. That's why i don't like her.  or more accurately, chose to ignore her. her politics have nothing to do with it. I lean towards the left myself.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 04/21/05 at 3:07 pm

Besides her political views.

IMO, I only care about talent, music, movies. Not their views, or else I would also hate Sinead O'Connor. (BTW, I only like "Nothing Compares 2 U")

I'm more into rock than easy listening stuff...
Though I admit her voice/music was annoying, but she looked  cute in the 1960's.

Dont'cha think Prince done the best version of that, sure hers is OK

but Prince with Rosie Gains version of Nothing Compares 2U is just brilliant. ;)

Written By: Sick of Britney on 04/21/05 at 8:25 pm

I wasn't alive, but I've read from many boards, including this, that people dislike her.  I'm not trashing or defending Barbara Striesand. I just want to see the reason. Sort of like Vanilla Ice, but he actually DOESN'T have talent and is a wannabe rapper.

And I liked that episode of "South Park"  :D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 04/21/05 at 9:37 pm

I LOVED her appearance on South Park  ;)

http://southpark.grooky.com/les_persos/images/Barbara_Streisand.gif

Written By: bj26 on 04/22/05 at 1:31 pm

I like(d) Stoney End it was beautiful, think it was her first hit circa 1967.

http://www.pophistorynow.com/images/AMPH_barbarastreisand.jpg

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/22/05 at 1:42 pm

I LOVED her appearance on South Park  ;)

http://southpark.grooky.com/les_persos/images/Barbara_Streisand.gif
I never saw her appearance on South Park.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 04/22/05 at 3:27 pm

Gotta admit though she has a great voice.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/22/05 at 3:29 pm

I like her too!

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 08/05/05 at 7:56 pm

I actually had Streisand's "the Broadway Album" on tape in 1987..it's not a bad album...especially the rendering of "(Someday)A Place for Us" originally from "West Side Story"...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/06/05 at 12:36 pm

I think she has great talent. She can act and sing (but personally, I like her acting better than singing-but that is just my preference). I think she has made some really good movies. She can do comedy as well as drama. One movie which she did was kind of obsure called "Up The Sandbox". She was fabulous in it. I also liked her in "What's up, Doc?"

Cat

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 08/06/05 at 7:54 pm

I downloaded Stoney End...listened to it last night. Barbara showing her top-40 stuff...I think that Laura Nyro wrote the song though.

I first heard it in 1971...even as an eleven year old I liked it.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/08/05 at 12:54 pm

It's actually from the 1970 Movie Soundtrack for "On A Clear Day You Can See Forever" ;)

Written By: zcrito on 08/09/05 at 7:33 pm

Good pick on "Stoney End" everyone. It's one of the few songs by her I like (well, that and her version of West side Story's "Somewhere", too).

Some people don't like Babs probably because she was exactly the type of singer their parents (or grandparents) liked and listened to (sort of like Andy Williams, Engelbert Humperdinck, and the rest).

Written By: robby76 on 08/11/05 at 5:04 am

Hello Dolly is a masterpiece and I'd call Barbara a legend based on that film alone. Great actress and great singing. I can see why people think she's annoying, but that's her whole character... a loud confident woman!

Written By: PennyLane0630 on 09/10/05 at 1:22 pm

I don't understand how Stiesand's fans fit in the venue where she is playing! I mean her ego is so large there isn't room for anyone else!  ;D

Written By: Sick of Britney on 09/10/05 at 7:07 pm

Barbra Srriesand was a hottie in the '60's, though I can't stand her singing, movies, and political views.

Written By: whistledog on 09/10/05 at 7:12 pm

I really liked her in Meet the Fockers :)

Written By: PennyLane0630 on 09/12/05 at 9:10 am

She's great in movies as long as she doesn't SING!!

Written By: Mushroom on 09/12/05 at 9:43 am

I don't understand how Stiesand's fans fit in the venue where she is playing! I mean her ego is so large there isn't room for anyone else!  ;D

Hahaha, you got that right!  Of course, she is retired now.  She only does performances at $5,000-10,000 per seat fund raisers for the DNC.

I have met Babs, and the experiance left me so sour I will never watch or listen to anything she has ever done again.  The only actor that left me with a feeling like that is Jerry Lewis, but with Jerry it is not quite so bad.

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 09/16/05 at 5:50 am

She cant sing or act, and I really hate her nose! :D

Written By: JohnTaylorsHeart on 09/23/05 at 6:28 am

I like her too.

Written By: Electric Youth on 04/06/06 at 5:52 pm

http://www.mielofon.com/singer/barbra_streisand/barbra-streisand-002.jpg

She was a cutie, though can't stand her movies, singing, nor her political views.  ;)  :D

Written By: loki 13 on 04/06/06 at 6:30 pm

She makes it too easy, A man was standing on a corner when her goons,
I mean her body guards, told the man he would have to move off the street
because Miss Striesand might be walking that way. What arrogance! she is like
all celebrities, step on the people that buy tickets so they can make their millions.

Written By: zotsfreak on 04/07/06 at 5:54 am

She makes it too easy, A man was standing on a corner when her goons,
I mean her body guards, told the man he would have to move off the street
because Miss Striesand might be walking that way. What arrogance! she is like
all celebrities, step on the people that buy tickets so they can make their millions.

Yep! She sounds like an arrogant prima donna. I read an article a while back, and when she walked from her dressing room to the stage at some venue, she had specificic instructions given to all the workers at the auditorium that they were not to raise their eyes and look at her as she walked through!! I can't remember the details, but she also has a rediculous list of things that need to be present in her dressing room too. (Wish I could remember, but it was goofy stuff like 42 pineapples, 99 Heath bars, 400 carnations, etc).
I do like how she got all fat and bloated these days- almost makes Rosie O look OK!!

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/07/06 at 7:56 am

Yep! She sounds like an arrogant prima donna. I read an article a while back, and when she walked from her dressing room to the stage at some venue, she had specificic instructions given to all the workers at the auditorium that they were not to raise their eyes and look at her as she walked through!! I can't remember the details, but she also has a rediculous list of things that need to be present in her dressing room too. (Wish I could remember, but it was goofy stuff like 42 pineapples, 99 Heath bars, 400 carnations, etc).
I do like how she got all fat and bloated these days- almost makes Rosie O look OK!!

Many performers are like that. They think being known on a first-name basis gives them the right to ask for anything. Mick Jagger (or Britney Spears) could have probably asked for a life-sized  chocolate model of the Taj Mahal as part of the their pre-gig preparations.

Written By: danootaandme on 04/07/06 at 5:27 pm

Never delve to deeply into the lives of stars if your opinion of their art is compromised by their lives.
Whenever someone complains about someone because of their private lives they are setting themselves
up for a life without music, books, or art. 

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/10/06 at 8:16 am

Never delve to deeply into the lives of stars if your opinion of their art is compromised by their lives.
Whenever someone complains about someone because of their private lives they are setting themselves
up for a life without music, books, or art. 

I've never been guilty of that. I don't think there private lives matter that much in the context of their art. But more perhaps in the context of their character.

Written By: Electric Youth on 04/12/06 at 1:53 pm

Not much different than most celebrities.

Though atleast she had a figure and looked pretty, unlike most young actresses today.

http://www.mielofon.com/singer/barbra_streisand/barbara-streisand-003.jpg

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/12/06 at 8:18 pm

She had a strangely attractive face; sure her nose was a bit big, but she as at once both a little ugly, yet not.

Check for new replies or respond here...