inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Magnificent 7 (7 Biggest Bands of the 60s)

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/30/05 at 5:56 am

In terms of sheer influence, I would consider the following the biggest bands of the 60s or the 'magnificent 7' of the era:

1. The Beatles
2. The Rolling Stones
3. Jimi Hendrix Experience (its still a band)
3. The Beach Boys
4. The Who
5. The Bee Gees
6. The Doors
7. The Grateful Dead/Jefferson Airplane/?

Of course, many bands which were huge in the 70s (Led Zep, Floyd, Deep Purple.etc) originated in the 60s, although did not achieve widespread fame until after 1970.

Does anyone have any thoughts/opinions on the list? I'm just interested in what you think were THE bands of the 60s. Also, who should 7th spot be given 2?

Subject: Re: Magnificent 7 (7 Biggest Bands of the 60s)

Written By: gord on 04/30/05 at 10:35 am

Good list, I would probably replace The Bee Gees with Cream, and maybe get The Yardbirds in there too, that's just me though :)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 05/01/05 at 10:18 am

Good list, I would probably replace The Bee Gees with Cream, and maybe get The Yardbirds in there too, that's just me though :)

I agree b/c the Bee Gees had influence in the 70s.

Tanya

Written By: Paul on 05/01/05 at 5:40 pm

I'll agree with that, but would just squeeze in The Kinks in place of Cream...

And that's just me...!

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/09/05 at 11:44 pm

I wonder if you'd poll a group of school children say aged 10 or 11 and ask them which of the aforementioned bands they could recognise, what the result would be. In terms of bands with the most 'recognitions' I would probably rate them as follows:

1. The Beatles
2. The Beach Boys
3. Jimi Hendrix
4. The Bee Gees
5. The Who
6. The Doors

Check for new replies or respond here...