inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Most Deservant (dead) Rock Icon

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/30/05 at 6:19 am

Millions of words have been written discussing which is the most 'influential' rock icon, but I thought for a sec...there are several 'rock legends' but how many of them really deserve it? Did they do anything or were they so innately great as to deserve the title? Ie. were they extremely talented, etc not just charismatic or famous for being famous? Some of the 'icons' of the 60s I think of include of course the obvious ones...Jimi Hendrix, John Lennon (although he died in 1980), Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison, Brian Jones.etc. Feel free to discuss without fear of offending anyone.

Subject: Re: Most Deservant (dead) Rock Icon

Written By: Three spotted on 05/05/05 at 3:28 am

Most deservant dead rock icon? I dunno bout that, but I'm tell you the most undeservant rock icon...Jim MORRISON... the guy only got famous for being another drug-crazed wacko who thought he was the next T.S. Elliot. In fact, I don't really care for any of them. SIMPLE PLAN ROcks! (lol only joking).

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 05/06/05 at 9:34 am

Does Glam Rock count?? if so..

Marc Bolan and T.Rex

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 05/07/05 at 7:38 am

I find myself having to agree with the last two posts

Jim Morrison - insanely over-rated  :(

Mark Bolan - ahead of his time - yet his time came too soon  :(

Written By: Paul on 05/07/05 at 8:38 am

Lennon or Presley...(great lives, stupid deaths...)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/07/05 at 8:07 pm

Jim Morrison had a genius mind but lived in a time when LOTS of people were doing drugs. He wrote some awesome poetry and some of it made it onto records. In 1980 all 6 Doors studio albums went platinum...within THAT year :) I've always been a huge Morrison fan but am certainly not offended by those who are not....opinions vary :D ;)

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/09/05 at 11:39 pm

How 'deservant' a dead person is of praise is a highly subjective issue, but Morrison probably led the most interesting life (or it could have been very boring and just glorified by modern day press). He was a mystery to most, on the surface just a hedonist interested in mysticism (perhaps more so than his contempararies). I also just noticed that Brian Jones (of the Rolling Stones), Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin and Jim Morrison all died at aged 27...what's more they died in 1969, 1970, 1970 (Joplin just two weeks after Hendrix) and 1971. And even stranger all their names begin with 'J' except Brian Jones, but the coincidence is startling.

Written By: hot_wax on 05/11/05 at 12:55 am

Is Mama Cass concidered a dead Rock Icon? or just a dead female singer? She was a big influence in the Hippy sound of the 60's...no pun intented!

Hot Wax

Written By: bj26 on 05/12/05 at 2:53 pm

Buddy Holly (not that I'm that old, I just like rockabilly, and he was great).

Written By: hot_wax on 05/12/05 at 9:04 pm

Buddy Holly (not that I'm that old, I just like rockabilly, and he was great).

You hit it right on, Buddy Holly...most deservant Icon

Hot Wax

ps...Got your rock band yet? 

Written By: bj26 on 05/13/05 at 7:45 am

You hit it right on, Buddy Holly...most deservant Icon

Hot Wax

ps...Got your rock band yet? 
Still tryin! Just learned several songs from the Beatles Anthology, i.e. Yes it is, Strawberry Fields, Norweigen Wood, and others, Tell her no (the Zombies), just can't find anyone (still living) who can do these songs; younger generation who might know this music and can sing/play it is very rare. Am just kind of alone..put notices up at the university music school, no response, maybe shoud advertise in the newspaper.

Written By: holicman on 05/16/05 at 7:21 am

Id like to put my hand up for former fleetwood mac frontman Peter Green..........although not dead -is dead to the eye of the media.

This guy wrote some of the most awesome lyrics and some intensely eerie pieces of music like Albatross and Man of the world.
I believe he also built the early foundations of grunge with the song "oh well".

The other i would like to add is Jimmy Page..........same goes again, dead to the eye of the media.
He started off a brilliant experimental guitarist playing R&B with the Yardbirds, introducing fuzz guitar (shapes of things), then going on to compose the music to a majority of Led Zeppelin tunes which will live on for generations.
In my opinion he is the greatest Guitarist of all time.

Written By: holicman on 05/17/05 at 11:58 pm

The Small Faces genius of the Late Steve Marriot needs to be recognized aswell.
He was an integral part of the British Invasion and is a very underrated musician.

The other is Yardbirds and Badfinger musician Keith Relf.
he was electrocuted in 1975 i think, but he led the way for about 10 years writing alot of music, he also collaborated with the likes of clapton,Jimmy Page and Jeff Beck respectively. :)

Written By: Paul on 05/18/05 at 6:02 pm

The other is Yardbirds and Badfinger musician Keith Relf.

Um...I don't think Keith was ever involved with Badfinger, his 'other' group were Renaissance...

(He did a stunning solo version of Bob Lind's 'Mr Zero' - worth getting hold of...)

Mind you, Badfinger had copious amounts of tragedy attached to them...two of the group ended up committing suicide...

Written By: jaytee on 05/18/05 at 7:54 pm

Marc Bolan
Buddy Holly

Written By: POOP MUFFIN on 05/21/05 at 8:58 am

JIMI HENDRIX is the most deservant rock icon in my opinion.  He was truly amazing.  If you don't think so, thats ok, but before you make your decision just watch Jimi Hendrix Live at Woodstock. ITS INSANE!

Written By: Robbo on 05/22/05 at 3:57 am

*Sorry, i gave away information that the publci cannot hear, so I have modified my post and replaced it with this message. Please, just ignore this and scroll on down to the next message*

Written By: AL-B on 05/22/05 at 12:54 pm

I have to put in my two cents in for Duane Allman. One of the greatest guitarists ever, I'd rank him right up there with Clapton and Hendrix.  He died tragically in 1971 at age 24 in a motorcycle accident.

Written By: PennyLane0630 on 09/02/05 at 7:02 pm

Millions of words have been written discussing which is the most 'influential' rock icon, but I thought for a sec...there are several 'rock legends' but how many of them really deserve it?

No surprise here. Lennon and Harrison!  :\'(

But Morrison and Joplin come close seconds.

Check for new replies or respond here...