inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Popeye... Hit or Miss

Written By: woops on 05/10/05 at 5:55 pm

I like some cartoons, but not a lot.  :)

http://www.dvdtoons.com/features/75

"Where is the most popular cartoon hero of the 1930's"

...an article about Popeye and the fact he's not as popular anymore.

Subject: Re: Popeye... Hit or Miss

Written By: zcrito on 05/10/05 at 7:12 pm

Popeye is alright with me, but then "I yam what I yam".

I ate spinach when I was growing up because Popeye liked it so much. Nowadays he's in commercials drinking Dr.Pepper.

I also like the depiction of late 1920s and of the 1930s in his cartoons.

Written By: hot_wax on 05/11/05 at 12:35 am

I did and still do like Popeye and all the characters in those early years, the 1930's. When I was kid I always wanted to go to where Popeye lived just to see those people; Wimpy, Frenchy the knife thrower, Olive Oyl. the Judge, Bluto, Popeye's Pappy there was others that I  can't think of now but thet always showed up in different cartoons from time to time.

I don't remember, but did they ever showed how Swee'pea's came about in one of the cartoons?    My older brother laughed at me and told me that Popeye went sailing with Olive Oyl without a raincoat and then there he was!...I didn't know what he ment at the time...DUH!

Back in 1980 I took my kids to see Robin Williams play Popeye in the movie and he played a great Popeye and Shelley Duval was a perfect Olive Oyl also. The movie captureted all the characters just like in the cartoons and the sea town where they all lived was captured just as I thought of it when I was a kid. I became a closet Popeye fan all over again and I have the record album of all the songs in the movie...I'm looking at it now as I'm writing this, it's a good album, go and get it you'll enjoy the songs and rent the video too...They reveal how Swee'Pea's came about! my brother was wrong!!

Hot Wax       

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/11/05 at 2:12 am

What about the feature film with Robin Williams?

Written By: zcrito on 05/11/05 at 9:38 am

I think they got it all wrong with that 1980, Popeye movie with Robin Williams.

When making a movie of cartoon characters do you make them "real" or just caricatures like they are in their cartoons?

They should have shown the "real" characters in that movie. It would have been more interesting.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/11/05 at 11:45 am

I never liked Popeye so I voted for sucks.

Cat

Written By: bj26 on 05/12/05 at 12:27 pm

I liked the old cartoons, especially Olive, she seemed, for lack of a better word, horney :o.  She would say Popye like Puwapeye and moan and mew, like it was such a discomfort.  Bluto would mumble angry deep words and growl, Popye would mumble phrases and talk to himself.  It was hilarious ;D.  A bit of trivia, Sweepea was a girl baby :)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 05/12/05 at 12:30 pm

I like some cartoons, but not a lot.  I do recall watching Popeye when I was a kid and it was pretty funny.  :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/12/05 at 1:50 pm

Nope...me AND my kids loved/love Bugs Bunny Cartoons...along with the old Tom & Jerry :)

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/12/05 at 11:00 pm

I would have liked it more if Bluto actually beat Popeye sometimes. Btw were the original episodes in black and white? I've seen both colour and b/w popeye.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/13/05 at 8:53 am

I actually really enjoyed the Popeye movie with Robin Williams.....

although the little town kinda gave me the creeps....but in a good way!

Erin :)

Written By: robby76 on 05/13/05 at 10:44 am

I did use to watch it avidly as a kid, and i think you need to be a young kid to fully appreciate it.

ps: me and my best friend went through a stage of going "Ag-ga-ga" (as in Popeye's laugh) a couple of years back when we were off our faces. In fact we still do it today to reminisce. Good times, good times.

Written By: nally on 05/17/05 at 3:37 pm

I did enjoy watching him when I was about 10 or 11 years old. The show would be on TV right as I came home from school. I thought he was funny. ;D

Written By: Scooter on 06/04/05 at 11:35 pm

I enjoyed the Fleischer brothers and Famous studios versions as well as the Paramount studios versions. However, I don't really care for any episodes post 1960's. The early animation and  background was just more detailed in all toons from the years before the 1960's. You can tell there was more labor put in the early works.

I don't remember, but did they ever showed how Swee'pea's came about in one of the cartoons?

All of the Popeye websites say that Swee'Pea was left on Popeyes doorstep and became his and Olive's adopted son. Like yourself, I don't remeber any episode revealing the fact.

Written By: Dagwood on 06/05/05 at 3:06 pm

So/so on the cartoon and add me to the "loved the movie" list. 

Written By: nally on 08/23/05 at 12:44 am

All of the Popeye websites say that Swee'Pea was left on Popeyes doorstep and became his and Olive's adopted son. Like yourself, I don't remeber any episode revealing the fact.

I never new that... :-\\ I thought he was a long-lost descendant of Popeye or something.

Written By: Southern Image on 11/15/05 at 1:43 pm

How do you think they got me to eat spinach.  ;D  Popeye RULES!

Written By: whistledog on 11/15/05 at 1:56 pm

I really liked the Popeye Cartoons.  I even liked the Popeye video game, and I LOVED the live-action film starring Robin Williams :)

Written By: alyceclover on 11/17/05 at 6:40 am

so-so, enjoyed watching the cartoons on tv, strong to the finish spinach, the running gags, but might not have watched them if little brother didn't have them on the set

Written By: Carl on 11/18/05 at 8:19 am

Well, Popeye had many versions of cartoons that I enjoyed, I've been a huge Popeye fan since I was a kid. The movie was so-so, could have been better, but it was satisfactory.

Written By: kairi747 on 12/02/05 at 8:11 pm

i was never a big popeye fan, but my sister wanted to marry him (then divorce him to marry casper, divorce him to marry michael, michael motorcylce, divorce him and marry robby kaesler ).  she was about 4 at the time.  she's still on her first marriage and she married a real guy, not a cartoon!  :D

Check for new replies or respond here...