inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Where have you gone Joe DiMaggio

Written By: gord on 05/12/05 at 5:30 pm

I've always loved the line from 'Mrs Robinson', and "Joltin Joe has left and gone away". I'm wondering does anyone know if Joe commented publicly as to how he felt about the mention in the song, he must have been honored, maybe a little embarrassed, not sure though. Has anyone ever heard what he thought? :)

Subject: Re: Where have you gone Joe DiMaggio

Written By: danootaandme on 05/12/05 at 5:58 pm

nope

Written By: Ansky1213 on 05/16/05 at 6:13 pm

I once heard that he said he was confused by the line. Said something along the lines of "What do you mean? I didn't go anywhere!"

Written By: hot_wax on 05/19/05 at 1:48 am

I once heard that he said he was confused by the line. Said something along the lines of "What do you mean? I didn't go anywhere!"

Yes, Paul Simon mentioned that in an interveiw and he said that Joe didn't like it at first to hear that he went away thinking that they were singing about him as if he was dead and didn't get the poetic jist of the lyric and Paul had to actually explain it to him what it ment.

but sooner or later that lyric would mean what it sounds like...it's fitting now, and Joe's was right.

Hot Wax

Written By: gord on 05/19/05 at 3:01 pm

cool story, thanks guys :)

Check for new replies or respond here...