inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Mods or Rockers

Written By: Mullet-Head on 06/30/05 at 8:50 pm

Which was a cooler subculture Mods Or Rockers

Subject: Re: Mods or Rockers

Written By: hot_wax on 07/04/05 at 12:06 pm

Which was a cooler subculture Mods Or Rockers

Mullit-Head, what I can remember from back in the early/mid 60's on the these Mods and Rockers "Sub-Cultures", as you put it, where teenagers in England that were the same as Greasers and Collegians or Hitters and Preppies over here in the USA, or as I saw it, the "Cool Rocker Kids" and the "Faggie Mod kids", but over there they would have gang fights between them and that in itself is a Greaser or Hitter trait to fight and wasn't a Preppie or Fag trait and I was impressed by both gangs and saw realized that the only thing different between them was their clothing style, the Rockers had a motorcycle gang look of Marlon Brando from the "Wild Bunch" movie and the Mods wore tailored suits and Beatle hair cuts. It was a time of transition there like here in the USA but we had the Viet Nam war and politians to fight and not ourselfs. Even early Beatles were Rockers tranfromed to Mods look at some of John Lennons Silver Beatles pictures with Peter Best before Ringo they were Rockers and when they changed the whole world changed into Mods then unified the both cultures in the mid/late 60's to a "Hippy" look and the labels died with the change. That's what I saw in it, but once a Rocker always a Rocker...it's all in your attitude...so Rock on!

Hot Wax

Written By: Mullet-Head on 07/04/05 at 7:23 pm

Mullit-Head, what I can remember from back in the early/mid 60's on the these Mods and Rockers "Sub-Cultures", as you put it, where teenagers in England that were the same as Greasers and Collegians or Hitters and Preppies over here in the USA, or as I saw it, the "Cool Rocker Kids" and the "Faggie Mod kids", but over there they would have gang fights between them and that in itself is a Greaser or Hitter trait to fight and wasn't a Preppie or Fag trait and I was impressed by both gangs and saw realized that the only thing different between them was their clothing style, the Rockers had a motorcycle gang look of Marlon Brando from the "Wild Bunch" movie and the Mods wore tailored suits and Beatle hair cuts. It was a time of transition there like here in the USA but we had the Viet Nam war and politians to fight and not ourselfs. Even early Beatles were Rockers tranfromed to Mods look at some of John Lennons Silver Beatles pictures with Peter Best before Ringo they were Rockers and when they changed the whole world changed into Mods then unified the both cultures in the mid/late 60's to a "Hippy" look and the labels died with the change. That's what I saw in it, but once a Rocker always a Rocker...it's all in your attitude...so Rock on!

There were some noteworthy differences. Rockers were actually closer to what were known as Teds or Teddy-boys. The teds simply traded in their Edwardian suits for leather jackets. Most Rockers were older and as a result had done some compulsary military training. I believe there was a mandatory draft at the time. This made rockers toughter. British rockers tended to drive British made bikes. BSA Norton Triumph being the favorites. Mods rode Italian made scooters Lambretta being the favorite and Vespa comming a close second.

The Rockers being older and toughter naturally made them a difficult enemy. Mods hunted in packs and poped Blues a word for the upper pills they popped. The street fights in Brighton were grosly exaggerated by the media. Many of the photos were fabricated. There is a photo of a Rocket being pushed off a sea wall in Brighton this photo was used on an Small faces album cover this photo is believed to be fabricated.

Carnaby street in London became a famous mod street. If not for the movie Quadrophenia the subculture mods may have been completly forgotten. For a breif period in 1979 there was a mod revival in Britain.  This was made popular by the band The Jam. By the early eighties being a mod became a really teeny-bopper thing. Whereing a Parka instantly transformed you into someone who looked fourteen. Mods in Britain found a new adversary. The Skinheads. Mod was soon to replaced by Scooter boys in the late eighties. Lambretta has gone out of buisness. Vespa still makes scooters but the new models getting really plastic looking. If you want to see a lot of mod scooters its best to go somewhere like India.

Hot Wax

Written By: bj26 on 07/05/05 at 6:47 am

I like the Rockabilly style, so I guess the Rockers probably fit that mode.

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 07/08/05 at 7:34 pm

The movie "Quadrophenia" by the Who is a excellent portrayal of the Mod/Rocker cultures. I myself liked the Mods.

(When asked if he was a Mod or a Rocker, Ringo Starr replied, "I'm a mocker.")

Written By: Southern Image on 11/15/05 at 1:52 pm

The Mods  8)

Written By: alyceclover on 11/17/05 at 6:50 am

um, who are they?  :)

Written By: Mushroom on 11/18/05 at 4:41 pm

Ultimately, I vote Rockers.

After all, what is left anymore of "Mod" culture?  It has almost totally faded away.  But the rocker culture is still alive and well.

Of course, I rather like Richard Starkey's answer when he was asked what he was.

Q.  Are you a mod, or a rocker?

A:  Actually, I am more of a mocker.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/18/05 at 4:44 pm

Mod! I would've been one.

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 11/21/05 at 6:34 am

i think the whole mod/rocker fad started in the late 50s, which was also when the scooters became popular in europe via italy.

Written By: lastofthefamous on 11/21/05 at 6:38 am

ummm... probably mods although i like rockabilly so i guess both. mods are gorgeous and rockers are sexy!

Written By: hot_wax on 11/23/05 at 11:36 pm

ummm... probably mods although i like rockabilly so i guess both. mods are gorgeous and rockers are sexy!

What singing groups or bands in the 60's would you say identified more as Rocker or Mod? I think Beatles were Mods and Doors were more like Rockers, Strawberry Alarm Clock were Mod and Animals were Rockers...think of any others?

Written By: cables on 12/24/05 at 11:04 am

Being a fan of The Who I would have to say that musically I'm more of a mod.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/24/05 at 1:20 pm

In 1968-1970 I had this desire to be Mod, and to me it meant clothing choices such as striped flaired pants , nehru shirts, paisley, I even got mom to buy me a pair of the ever so popular beatles boots. Those were so cool. The British invasion of music was my main influence to Mod.  My older sister was the hippie/beatnik/folksinger type. She left home at 18 and joined Up With People, that travelling singing performing group that spread positivity and peace. When I enterd high school, Mod was out and the Rocker attitude was in mainly, because I hung out with the stoners and hoods and toughness was the prevailing attitude, like in The Outsiders movie, tee shirts and jeans. But I was the good guy in the bunch and I felt like a peace lovin woodstock hippie/rocker tough guy hybrid.
Ringo's response to the reporter in A Hard Days Night is great.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/24/05 at 6:18 pm

Q.  Are you a mod, or a rocker?

A:  Actually, I am more of a mocker.

I knew I wouldn't be the only one here who could quote "A Hard Days Night"  that was one of my
favorite lines.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/24/05 at 6:47 pm

I knew I wouldn't be the only one here who could quote "A Hard Days Night"

Written By: cables on 12/25/05 at 12:54 pm

I knew I wouldn't be the only one here who could quote "A Hard Days Night"

Written By: danootaandme on 12/25/05 at 5:00 pm

Which film had the classic exchange with a reporter?:

"How did you find America?"

"Turn left at Greenland".

I have a feeling it was Help.

In "Hard Days Night" John told Pauls grandad that if he had turned left at Greenland he
would have been a senior citizen of Boston.  I think he used the line in a press conference when
asked how he found America.

Written By: lizjagger on 04/05/06 at 11:09 pm

most definitely , Mods.

Check for new replies or respond here...