inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Noddy and the Golly- Wogs

Written By: Mullet-Head on 07/13/05 at 11:00 pm

There's no way something like that would be acceptable in these Politicaly correct times. How about Big Ears

Subject: Re: Noddy and the Golly- Wogs

Written By: hot_wax on 07/14/05 at 1:43 am

There's no way something like that would be acceptable in these Politicaly correct times. How about Big Ears

What!? hey Mullet-Head, I'd say speak English, but I think you are in a strange way! where're you from?

HW

Written By: karen on 07/18/05 at 10:43 am

I heard that in some countries Big Ears is called White Beard  ::)

Written By: hot_wax on 07/18/05 at 8:41 pm

I heard that in some countries Big Ears is called White Beard  ::)

What!? is this an inside joke? fill us in...please.

Hot wax

Written By: karen on 07/20/05 at 7:50 am

Didn't Noddy (books written by Enid Blyton) make it across the Atlantic then?  They're about a little wooden boy who runs away with a gnome called Big Ears.  Noddy is allowed to live in Toyland and builds his house next to a family of teddy bears called Mr and Mrs Tubby Bear.  In the first books Mr Golly (a toy golliwog) ran the garage and then golliwogs were deemed un-pc and he was replaced with Mr Sparks.  All the pictures were re-drawn to replace any golliwogs (even if they weren't mentioned in the story).  I know this because we have two versions of the same book at home.  Contrary to popular belief the golliwogs were not always the naughty chcaracters.

I know that he is in Europe because my daughter has some French books.  In France he is known as Oui-Oui.

For those who don't know what a golliwog is here is a picture

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 07/21/05 at 5:03 am

Didn't Noddy (books written by Enid Blyton) make it across the Atlantic then?  They're about a little wooden boy who runs away with a gnome called Big Ears.  Noddy is allowed to live in Toyland and builds his house next to a family of teddy bears called Mr and Mrs Tubby Bear.  In the first books Mr Golly (a toy golliwog) ran the garage and then golliwogs were deemed un-pc and he was replaced with Mr Sparks.  All the pictures were re-drawn to replace any golliwogs (even if they weren't mentioned in the story).  I know this because we have two versions of the same book at home.  Contrary to popular belief the golliwogs were not always the naughty chcaracters.

I know that he is in Europe because my daughter has some French books.  In France he is known as Oui-Oui.

Interesting sidenote: Before Creedence Clearwater Revival hit it big in the late 60's, they performed under the name "The Golliwogs."

Now I know where they got that from.  ;)

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 07/24/05 at 1:56 am

Karen I thought it was only the "wanted" posters featuring gollywogs in the police station that were taken out by the PC brigade ??? Surely they didnt remove the gollywog alltogether ?? tell me it isnt true.

I still have all my original Noddy books from the early 70s - and mum made me a huge gollywog doll that was bigger than me when I was a toddler.

Written By: karen on 07/25/05 at 6:15 am

Karen I thought it was only the "wanted" posters featuring gollywogs in the police station that were taken out by the PC brigade ??? Surely they didnt remove the gollywog alltogether ?? tell me it isnt true.

I still have all my original Noddy books from the early 70s - and mum made me a huge gollywog doll that was bigger than me when I was a toddler.

I'm afraid it is true.  As I said in an earlier post we happen to have two copies of the same book Noddy meets Father Christmas, iIrc) and in it all the pictures that have gollies in them have been re drawn to show teddy bears or other toys.  Mr Golly proposes a toast to Noddy in the celebratory tea party at the end and it's a teddy bear in the new version.

Unless of course other countries like Aus are less PC-controlled?

Written By: woops on 07/27/05 at 8:32 pm

I'm so sick of PC  :P

Cartoons like "All This & Rabbit Stew" (though on public domain tapes),  banned while  the overrated "Gone With The Wind" and any annoying Shirley Temple film where she dances with Mr. Bojangles are available on DVD and played on tv  ::)  >:(

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 07/30/05 at 3:14 am

I'm afraid it is true.  As I said in an earlier post we happen to have two copies of the same book Noddy meets Father Christmas, iIrc) and in it all the pictures that have gollies in them have been re drawn to show teddy bears or other toys.  Mr Golly proposes a toast to Noddy in the celebratory tea party at the end and it's a teddy bear in the new version.

Unless of course other countries like Aus are less PC-controlled?

I will have to assume its the same here cos our Noddy books are not published here as far as I know - they are shipped from UK.

But next time I am in a book store I will wander over and have a look in the kiddie section and see if I can find a Noddy book and check.

How sad for the Gollys (

Written By: elly on 08/14/05 at 7:06 am

I still have Noddy books... hard to come by I believe...
so tell me.. are golliwogs allowed now? Is it racist? Id hate to offend any one..
Ive even heard them referred to as wolligogs, to keep in with the pollitically correctiveness....*sigh* things have become so hard huh

Written By: Shaheen on 08/24/05 at 1:18 pm

I will have to assume its the same here cos our Noddy books are not published here as far as I know - they are shipped from UK.

But next time I am in a book store I will wander over and have a look in the kiddie section and see if I can find a Noddy book and check.

How sad for the Gollys (

I have just stumbled across this site by chance and when I saw that you had all the Noddy books from your childhood, wondered if you could help me.... my son is a big Noddy fan, and so was my brother 40 years ago. His favourite story was one in which Noddy threw a party and stole lights from the street lamps to light up his garden, returning the bulbs the next day. He can't remember what the story was called and I would love to try and find it for him and my son!

Any help would be really appreciated!

Shaheen

Written By: Dagwood on 08/26/05 at 7:09 pm

My stepmother was from England and she brought me a childrens story book back with Golly in it.  I remember one of the stories, The Silver Merman.  I didn't take very good care of it, unfortunately, and I don't know where it is now.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 04/25/06 at 7:58 am

Isn't that just bloody shocking that a Golliwog should be portrayed as a naughty character in the first place. Typical stereotypical misconceptions of racist cretins from years ago.

Written By: karen on 04/25/06 at 8:28 am

Isn't that just bloody shocking that a Golliwog should be portrayed as a naughty character in the first place. Typical stereotypical misconceptions of racist cretins from years ago.

I think I was saying that the belief is that the gollies were portrayed as naughty but actually they are not naughty in the stories I have.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 04/25/06 at 4:34 pm

I think I was saying that the belief is that the gollies were portrayed as naughty but actually they are not naughty in the stories I have.

Yes I know?

Written By: karen on 04/27/06 at 3:38 am

Yes I know?

Last night when reading a Noddy story to my son it suddenly dawned on me the point you were making.

Written By: Paul on 04/27/06 at 7:11 am

A recent news story from over here, proving that it is still a 'touchy' subject for some...

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/29/06 at 6:03 am

It's not the first time 'Noddy' - TV series or otherwise - has been controversial. I fondly watched the kids TV show as a youngster, and don't remember anything about the Golliwogs. They must not have included them. As for old books written long ago; I think they should leave and let be, they're like cultural artifacts as well as storybooks for kids. They still sell many old classics which are distinctly racist by well-known authors, and few kick up a storm about that.

Check for new replies or respond here...