inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Did your parents try to keep you from listening to rock music..

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 07/22/05 at 1:05 pm

It almost happened to me...one foster home I lived in actually FROWNED UPON kids listening to rock music....the person claimed it was 'evil'..'junk'...satanic....the foster parent was an older person!
Needless to say...I did NOT stay in that home. It's WRONG to not allow teens to listen to music THEY wanna listen to...I can see being wary but NOT ALLOWING POPULAR MUSIC AT ALL is wrong...especially bands like P.O.D. that have a positive message.

Subject: Re: Did your parents try to keep you from listening to rock music..

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/22/05 at 1:23 pm

Nope. But one time my parents were TRYING to monitor what I was listening to-only because they saw the album cover of Queen's News From the World, so we sat down and listened to it. The funny thing was at one point my step-father said, "This isn't bad-'All day, all day'". I didn't want to tell him the actual words were "All dead, all dead.".  :D ;)

Cat

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 07/22/05 at 4:49 pm

Nope. But one time my parents were TRYING to monitor what I was listening to-only because they saw the album cover of Queen's News From the World, so we sat down and listened to it. The funny thing was at one point my step-father said, "This isn't bad-'All day, all day'". I didn't want to tell him the actual words were "All dead, all dead.". :D ;)

Cat
This foster parent I had ALWAYS wanted to know what I was carrying in my pocketbook...She had certain of her friends SPYING on me, seeing what music I bought...and squealing on ne to her...The reason she gave for all this...I was 'disabled,that makes you NAIVE'....WTF! Over-protection!! I am FAR from NAIVE or STUPID...even as a teenager I was NEVER naive!

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 07/22/05 at 4:51 pm

This foster parent I had ALWAYS wanted to know what I was carrying in my pocketbook...She had certain of her friends SPYING on me, seeing what music I bought...and squealing on ne to her...The reason she gave for all this...I was 'disabled,that makes you NAIVE'....WTF! Over-protection!! I am FAR from NAIVE or STUPID...even as a teenager I was NEVER naive!
If I was a parent I would NEVER do that with my children unless there was a VALID reason, such as suspected drug or alcohol use or smoking....

Written By: woops on 07/23/05 at 2:03 am

Funny how now is like deja vu...

Imagine the kid from the Twisted Sister video grown up (today) telling his son/daughter that he/she can't listen to Eminem. Britney (though she really bites), etc...

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 07/23/05 at 5:05 am

My parents never censored my reading, viewing or listening choices. And for that reason I never felt the need to be secretive about what I was watching, reading or listening to.

Written By: danootaandme on 07/23/05 at 2:40 pm

I had pretty much free rein on what to watch and read.  Every once in a while my father would
weigh in with a few words of wisdom, like one time when "Touch Me" by the Doors was on and
the line "I'm gonna love you 'til the heavens stop the rain".  He told me boys will say that to you
but they don't really mean it.  Of course at that time the record had been out for years, Morrison
was long dead, and I was 30 years old and didn't think he wanted to hear that I had used versions
of that line myself  ::)

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 07/23/05 at 6:03 pm

I honestly don't understand why ANY parent would restrict access to rock music...or any kind of popular culture....

My foster parent was a devout Christian....I'd bet anything that played into it....

Needless to say I was not in her home long...I left on my own accord and went to a halfway house.

Written By: NoPrivacy on 07/23/05 at 7:46 pm

My parents allowed absolutely no privacy, mom snooped through everything. Monitored everything I watched and listened to. Almost turned me into a social retard. I wasn't even allowed to visit one of my best friends in 5th grade when he called and asked me over. My mom couldn't drive, dad just didn't want to. Then they wondered why I was so secretive about everything(had to listen to Dr. Demento, a 70's show...oops, with the radio turned way down). Couldn't talk to them about anything.
  Probably lucky I'm not a hermit.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 07/24/05 at 5:55 pm

My parents allowed absolutely no privacy, mom snooped through everything. Monitored everything I watched and listened to. Almost turned me into a social retard. I wasn't even allowed to visit one of my best friends in 5th grade when he called and asked me over. My mom couldn't drive, dad just didn't want to. Then they wondered why I was so secretive about everything(had to listen to Dr. Demento, a 70's show...oops, with the radio turned way down). Couldn't talk to them about anything.
Probably lucky I'm not a hermit.
Just curious...were your parents older people...or devout Christians...it seems like those types want kids to be like 'in the olden days'...obedient and unquestioning...'children should be seen and not heard'...

Written By: ADH13 on 07/24/05 at 6:00 pm

My parents didn't stop me from listening to any kind of music, although I'm sure if I was a kid nowadays they wouldn't approve of rap with every other word starting with "f"

My mom actually liked REO Speedwagon, Foreigner, Dire Straits, etc. and listened to it more than I did.

MTV was a different story... we only had 1 tv in the house and she didn't want to be forced to watch it.. so the rule was I could only watch it after she went to sleep or when she wasn't home.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/24/05 at 6:01 pm

I remember one of my sisters listening to Tommy Roe's Dizzy (over and over again like my sisters did) and I can't remember if was my dad or my mother who said, "This song is making me dizzy".  :D

Cat

Written By: ADH13 on 07/24/05 at 6:07 pm

it just occurred to me that this is before the 70's thread and here I am talking about dire straits and reo speedwagon...

if you're talking about pre-70's rock music, that was my moms music of choice.

my dad's too, but mostly doo-wop

Written By: gemini61 on 07/24/05 at 7:22 pm

No, they never did. They just said "Turn It Down" alot!  :D 

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/24/05 at 8:56 pm

Cool topic - sorry this is kind of a long post! :D

In my case I’m lucky I had parents who were into pop culture a bit past their time. Music notwithstanding. J

In the 80’s, mom bought new music with almost the zest and enthusiasm of a teenager (born 1954, so she was in the early 30’s by the time I have a decent memory of that). I was always around the popular songs of the day, especially in the car and on the radio. Yeah it might seem weird for a little 3 or 4 year old kid to have liked that sort of thing, but it’s not too much of a stretch to say I think anyone who grew up exactly how I did would’ve felt the same way.

My dad was born in 1938 (!) and as far as pop or rock is concerned, he’s actually more into the 60’s and 70’s (the Beatles in particular) although he likes a fair share of 80’s too. More on the “soft/ballad” side (eg: “One More Night”, “Sailing”) or classic rock-ish (the Police, David Lee Roth).

They’ve never truly “disliked” anything I’ve been into. Ironically, since the 90’s, my mom has been far LESS into 80’s music than when I was young. Dad’s not into heavy metal-type music or anything past the 80’s, but they wouldn’t have ever said I couldn’t listen to it. Not their style, which I’m grateful for.

^ In my childhood and even into the early teens, the idea of parents/adults listening to new music seemed like totally normal to me. It wasn’t until probably high school that I 100% understood it wasn’t usually the case! ;D  Seriously, I think we are shaped by how we grow up, so since I got used to it being “multi generational” I’d never have a problem with what my kids may someday listen to.

I might say (half teasingly) "How can you guys listen to this cr_p?" or something, but I'd never take it away from them. However I would make sure I educated them really early on in life about what's right and wrong, so there'd be no way of them being "affected" by certain lyrics, for instance.

I don't think it's so much a matter of religion or age, but I think you simply have to understand rock music as a genre to be okay with it. Those who do not "get" it are probably more inclined to not let their kids listen to it. So it's like "foreign" to them, so therefore it would seem more evil as opposed to people who have more of a knowledge on the rock culture itself.

As a whole, I would say that the further along we get, the less of that we're seeing. Think of this - in 1955 there probably weren't any rock fans over 25 or 30 (that even would be puching it) since it was a BRAND NEW thing. Parents of teens of the time (say born around 1900-10) had absolutely NOTHING to relate it to - it was shocking and unknown, that's why they "freaked" a bit about it IMO.

Sure a 45 year old parent of a teenager today might detest Eminem (which I can't blame them for! I've slowly liked less popular new music myself since 1992, really since 1997 though – especially hip hop). ;), but it's not like the concept itself would be unrelateable to them.

Written By: Zella on 07/26/05 at 12:14 am

Generally no, but I do remember my mother getting upset when I got the Stone's album "Sticky Fingers." Not the cover, she thought that was cute, but she objected to the songs "Sister Morphine" and "B*tch". The irony is that the former was an anti-drug song. My brother tried to fool her into thinking the latter was about a dog...it was funny - she could not understand the words but she caught the word 'dog' in the line salivate like a Pavlov's dog and said "Oh! It IS about a dog!"  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...