inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Anyone here remember the first time they SAW color tv...

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 08/06/05 at 8:07 pm

Anyone here remember the first time they saw a TV show in color?

Where?

What show(s)?

First 'living color' show I saw was Bonanza when I was five years old...at my aunt's house. My Uncle Walt was a TV repairman who KNEW color TV was 'here to stay' when hardly anyone else was buying them due to how EXPENSIVE they were. And he passed on a love of anything electronic to me.

Subject: Re: Anyone here remember the first time they SAW color tv...

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 08/06/05 at 8:09 pm

Where?

What show(s)?

First 'living color' show I saw was Bonanza when I was five years old...at my aunt's house. My Uncle Walt was a TV repairman who KNEW color TV was 'here to stay' when hardly anyone else was buying them due to how EXPENSIVE they were. And he passed on a love of anything electronic to me.
My family got our Admiral Color Console off of him...

Written By: bj26 on 08/08/05 at 7:49 am

I remember it too, probably in about 1962, I was a wee lad of 3, but I remember seeing the NBC peacock :)

http://www.kingoftheroad.net/KARD72photos/colortv_50s_peacock-endlogo.jpghttp://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:2pkKFZnjpmsJ:www.kingoftheroad.net/king_graphics/buttons/peacock_button.gif

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/08/05 at 10:46 am

I can't remember when or what but I do remember where. One of our nieghbors (who we were friends with) had a color t.v. We used to go over there to watch. My guess would probably be around 1967-68? We didn't get a color t.v. until 1974-75 (?) when my grandmother moved in with us and brought her color t.v. with her.

Cat

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 08/09/05 at 6:46 pm

I remember it too, probably in about 1962, I was a wee lad of 3, but I remember seeing the NBC peacock :)

http://www.kingoftheroad.net/KARD72photos/colortv_50s_peacock-endlogo.jpghttp://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:2pkKFZnjpmsJ:www.kingoftheroad.net/king_graphics/buttons/peacock_button.gif
The Peacock was cool....created by a man by the name of John J. Graham....http://www.big13.net/NBC%20Peacock/NBCPeacock1.htm

Written By: w on 08/11/05 at 4:56 pm

Sure do. Prob. 1964 not sure on the year. went to my older brother's to watch the Rose Parade on his new color set. As I remember it every time they switched to another camera, he was ajusting the set to try and get the color close to what it was supposed to look like. My Dad thought it was a lot of work and money just for color.

Written By: micah on 08/11/05 at 5:50 pm

My parents bought our first one in the fall of 1967. The first show I remember watching in color was one called" He and She".

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 08/11/05 at 9:04 pm

Sure do. Prob. 1964 not sure on the year. went to my older brother's to watch the Rose Parade on his new color set. As I remember it every time they switched to another camera, he was ajusting the set to try and get the color close to what it was supposed to look like. My Dad thought it was a lot of work and money just for color.
Most early color sets had to be adjusted frequently....also they had to be demagnetized from time to time to correct a picture problem called "blooming".

Written By: kairi747 on 08/13/05 at 11:35 pm

well, i don't really remember the first show i saw in color, but i do remember watching a b & w in my parents room and the preview said, "the courtship of eddie's father, next, in color."  i didn't understand why it wasn't in color.  i'll tell ya, sometimes these blonde roots go right to my brain!  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/14/05 at 12:15 pm

well, i don't really remember the first show i saw in color, but i do remember watching a b & w in my parents room and the preview said, "the courtship of eddie's father, next, in color."  i didn't understand why it wasn't in color.  i'll tell ya, sometimes these blonde roots go right to my brain!  ;D

It was the same thing with me only it was Bewitched-not the Courtship of Eddie's Father. One of my sisters had to explain it to me  (and I am not blonde  :D ).

Cat

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 08/14/05 at 8:09 pm

I just found and downloaded a really cool wav file...the 60's era NBC Peacock "The following program is brought to you in living color on NBC!" I found it thru Yahoo....the file is called NBCCOLOR..

Written By: kairi747 on 08/15/05 at 10:31 am

It was the same thing with me only it was Bewitched-not the Courtship of Eddie's Father. One of my sisters had to explain it to me  (and I am not blonde  :D ).

Cat

thanks, cat!  glad to know it wasn't just me!!

Written By: cnbpjb on 08/15/05 at 6:34 pm

Cat

That's hillarous catwoman, I had the same problem with "Bewitched". 

Of course imagine my reaction when I first got to see reruns of "Bewitched" in color, in 1970.  (Especially watching Aggie Moorhead's Endora in her purple outfits -- boy, were those loud on the first batch of color TV's that were affordable.

You know color TV's weren't that inexpensive until very late in the 1960's.

The first four shows I remember watching, on a regular basis, in color are the first run reruns for "The Monkees", and some of the late orginal runs of "That Girl", "Laugh-In" & "I Dream Of Jeannie".

But actually the first show I ever watched in color, at a friend of my sister's house (they were better off than my family was) was in late 1969 and that was "The Newlywed Game" show.  Talk about an introduction to color televison!!! :D   

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/15/05 at 6:39 pm

Of course imagine my reaction when I first got to see reruns of "Bewitched" in color, in 1970.  (Especially watching Aggie Moorhead's Endora in her purple outfits -- boy, were those loud on the first batch of color TV's that were affordable.

The first four shows I remember watching, on a regular basis, in color are the first run reruns for "The Monkees", and some of the late orginal runs of "That Girl", "Laugh-In" & "I Dream Of Jeannie".

But actually the first show I ever watched in color, at a friend of my sister's house (they were better off than my family was) was in late 1969 and that was "The Newlywed Game" show.  Talk about an introduction to color televison!!! :D   

Was that color or off-color?  :D ;) ;D

Cat

Written By: cnbpjb on 08/15/05 at 7:16 pm

Was that color or off-color?  :D ;) ;D

Cat

"The Newlywed Game" in color, extremely off-color!  It was a good idea that I had noooooooooo idea what they were saying, at least NOT at that time.  (I was only 5 years old at the time).  ;D

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 08/15/05 at 7:50 pm

Of course imagine my reaction when I first got to see reruns of "Bewitched" in color, in 1970. (Especially watching Aggie Moorhead's Endora in her purple outfits -- boy, were those loud on the first batch of color TV's that were affordable.

But actually the first show I ever watched in color, at a friend of my sister's house (they were better off than my family was) was in late 1969 and that was "The Newlywed Game" show. Talk about an introduction to color televison!!! :D
When the first color sets were introduced in 1954...they cost as much as the new cars of that time!
RCA's CT-100 "Merrill" went for over $1000.00! that's US funds.

Written By: oneno on 08/26/05 at 11:28 am

1963 and the show was"Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color" Man was that ever cool, but at age 3 a lightning bug was pretty cool too.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 08/29/05 at 8:24 am

It was 1975 - the man who lived across the road got one and I remember being allowed to watch a replay of the 1975 F A Cup Final on it.

I turned the colour RIGHT UP so Wembley was luminescent green  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/29/05 at 8:26 am

It was my Maternal Grandmother who the first to have a colour TV in our family, and it was one Saturday afternoon the whole family went to her house to watch the Grand National on her new TV.

Written By: PennyLane0630 on 09/02/05 at 6:12 pm

In COLOR? I remember the first time I tv period! It was in 1957 and it had a round screen! How cool!  ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...