inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When did Motown artists/music become 'socially conscious'?

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 08/06/05 at 9:07 pm

Were Marvin Gaye and The Temptations the first Motown stars to sing socially conscious stuff?
I remember "What's Going On" making a big splash because of it...

Subject: Re: When did Motown artists/music become 'socially conscious'?

Written By: Paul on 08/07/05 at 10:33 am

That's probably the best known example, but the Temptations really kicked started things with 'Cloud Nine' in late '68...

Not a 'recording' artist as such, but Motown did release of a couple of LPs of Dr Martin Luther King's speeches ('Great March On Washington' and 'Great March To Freedom' - the latter including the famous 'I Have A Dream' speech), way back in 1963...

Modified to add...just remembered another socially-conscious one - 'Love Child' by Diana Ross & The Supremes, just a wee bit before that above Temptations number...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/07/05 at 1:12 pm

Not too sure which one was "first" but the one that comes to my mind is the Temps' "Ball of Confusion"

Cat

Written By: Paul on 08/07/05 at 1:14 pm

Not too sure which one was "first" but the one that comes to my mind is the Temps' "Ball of Confusion"

A real kicker, that one...some strong lyrics in that...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/07/05 at 1:17 pm

A real kicker, that one...some strong lyrics in that...

I think in many ways, the song still holds true today.

Cat

Written By: Paul on 08/07/05 at 1:25 pm

I think in many ways, the song still holds true today.

Indeed it does...

There's also another good example, although this was late in the day ('71)...

Tom Clay's 'What The World Needs Now/Abraham Martin & John', which is basically a montage of sound clips pasted over a instrumental backing...

Some of the sound clips include Martin Luther King's speeches, and the assassination of Bobby Kennedy - used to great effect, it's a very thought-provoking record...worth getting hold of...

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 08/09/05 at 6:41 pm

I don't know whether "Reach Out And Touch(Somebody's Hand)" would fit as a social-conscious tune...but it has a positive message.

Written By: cnbpjb on 08/15/05 at 8:36 pm

I think one Motown tune actually pre-dates all of the ones mentioned, by several years.

I would actually say that the first socially conscious Motown tune was actually, "Dancing In The Street" by Martha (Reeve) & the Vandellas back in 1964!!!  8)

Why would I write that, well, because you know what that song was really in reference to, don't you?

Well it really isn't about dancing, it's about the Civil Rights protest.  Listen to the original version of this song, by Martha & the Vandellas and listen to the cities that they mention and think of Civil Rights protest that were going on (and even some of the riots that were just about to occur or already had).  And don't forget the Civil Rights movement wasn't just based in the south. 

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 08/15/05 at 9:00 pm

That's probably the best known example, but the Temptations really kicked started things with 'Cloud Nine' in late '68...

Not a 'recording' artist as such, but Motown did release of a couple of LPs of Dr Martin Luther King's speeches ('Great March On Washington' and 'Great March To Freedom' - the latter including the famous 'I Have A Dream' speech), way back in 1963...

Modified to add...just remembered another socially-conscious one - 'Love Child' by Diana Ross & The Supremes, just a wee bit before that above Temptations number...
How about the Temptations' "Runaway Child,Runnin' Wild"...there is still a huge problem with kids running away from home even now...

Check for new replies or respond here...