inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Which tv-series???

Written By: OliverDK on 08/11/05 at 3:45 am

I've posted this on the "1980s" and "1970s" boards, and people have been very helpful but nothing so far, anyway the series takes place on a carrier and have "Sailing" as theme-song, by Rod Stewart, according to my mother I saw the series between the ages of 5 (1976) and 10 (1981), and back then american series were usually 3-5 years old when we saw them, so it must have been made in the early 70s or the late 60s.
Since Rod is singing it could be a british series, but he was an international name back then too, and USN is the only navy in the world to operate true carriers, and I seem to remember Tomcats and Phantoms, anyway each episode ended with the carrier sailing into the sunset to the song "Sailing", I hope someone can help me.

Subject: Re: Which tv-series???

Written By: guest on 08/14/05 at 3:59 pm

After contacting the Christopher Cross know it alls, They have no record of a show that LEGALLY used Sailing as a theme..some may have illegally not paid to use it...

If there was a show earlier it must be someone else...and need more info to what the show was.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/14/05 at 4:02 pm

I've posted this on the "1980s" and "1970s" boards, and people have been very helpful but nothing so far, anyway the series takes place on a carrier and have "Sailing" as theme-song, by Rod Stewart, according to my mother I saw the series between the ages of 5 (1976) and 10 (1981), and back then american series were usually 3-5 years old when we saw them, so it must have been made in the early 70s or the late 60s.
Since Rod is singing it could be a british series, but he was an international name back then too, and USN is the only navy in the world to operate true carriers, and I seem to remember Tomcats and Phantoms, anyway each episode ended with the carrier sailing into the sunset to the song "Sailing", I hope someone can help me.
There was a BBC TV series that featured Sailing as the theme song, with the series set on  HMS Ark Royal. The programme were on late 70s or early 80s.

Written By: Steve on 09/10/05 at 6:09 pm

The programme was called 'We are Sailing' and was based on the aircraft carrier HMS ARK ROYAL (not the current one)!
The reason I know is that my wife was getting similarly nostalgic about it and we found it for sale on Amazon.
It was filmed in 1976 and featured what looked like raw footage of life onboard. You are correct that 'Sailing' by Rod Stewart was the theme tune.

Check for new replies or respond here...