inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Betty Boop: Hit or Miss

Written By: woops on 08/11/05 at 3:58 pm

So & So, some of her cartoons are actually good and somewhat bizarre, which was typical in most 30's cartoons  :)

Subject: Re: Betty Boop: Hit or Miss

Written By: bj26 on 08/12/05 at 10:44 am

So & So, some of her cartoons are actually good and somewhat bizarre, which was typical in most 30's cartoons  :)
Yes, some of her cartoons were scary and I think bizarre would be a good description.  The art work and scenery were incredible, and one story was surprisingly accurate in depicting suspicious moonshiners and poor mountain folk who Betty visited.  I believe the lady who did Betty's voice also did Olive Oil's.

Written By: woops on 08/18/05 at 2:34 am

Mae Questal actually did the voices for Betty Boop and Olive Oil. Also Little Audrey & Little Lulu.

Written By: Bobby on 08/19/05 at 3:49 am

I went for 'So and so'. Most cartoons before the 1950s were bizarre, lol. Watching the 'Merry Melodies' from Disney, Felix the cat, Popeye and almost anything from Terrytoons are prime examples of that.  ;D

Written By: TheLurkerKing on 08/20/05 at 3:34 pm

"Boop Boop de Boop." Of course. I especially like her cameo appearance in "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?"

Written By: Mushroom on 08/23/05 at 9:12 pm

I think the best ones were the "Pre Hays Code" ones.  I remember seeing once what is considered the best of that era, "The Old Man Of The Mountain".  It featured Cab Calloway as the voice of the "Old Man", and he did a fabulous rendition of "Minnie The Moocher".  Hearing Cab and Mae do Minnie as a duet will be something I never forget.

This series did a lot in it's day to introduce Jazz to "White America", and allowed a lot of black singers, songwriters, and actors to work in the movie industry.  Cab Calloway was a regular co-star in the early series, as was Don Redman, Louis Armstrong, and a lot of others who never got the credit they deserved.

Once the Hays Code came into effect, the series was seriously watered down, with the Jazz sounding more like Gershwin then Satchmo.

Written By: d_bramer on 08/24/05 at 1:19 am

Betty Boop was a definite classic!! ~~ ;)

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 08/26/05 at 8:12 am

"Betty Boop sucks"

Could never get past the ghastly hairdo  ::)

Written By: Mushroom on 09/12/05 at 10:40 am

I just found a great site, for those that want to see some of the early Betty Boop cartoons (and a lot of others).

http://www.archive.org/details/movies

This is a site full of movies and other things that have fallen into the "Public Domain".  That means that it is legal to share and download these movies.  I discovered it last night, and got a copy of "The Old Man Of The Mountain", my favorite BB short.  It starts with an awesome into performed by Cab Calloway (live action), and has him as the voice "Old Man".

For anybody that likes old movies and shorts, this is a site you have to check out.  There are hundreds of them here, not just BB.

Written By: Barefoot_Blues on 09/21/05 at 11:36 am

Betty Boop, RAWKS!

Written By: Southern Image on 10/03/05 at 12:29 pm

Betty Boop is the best! ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...