inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Does anyone here like Doo wop?

Written By: Bobby on 08/17/05 at 12:32 pm

I started this topic yonks ago but I think it deserves it's place here again . . .

I love Doo Wop music! Some of my favourite songs are . . .

Blue moon - Marcels
Sh'boom (life could be a dream) - Crew Cuts
Come go with me - Del Vikings
Silhouettes - Rays
Adorable - Drifters

Subject: Re: Does anyone here like Doo wop?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/17/05 at 1:18 pm

I like doo wop. I like the songs you listed. I also like the song Mr. Sandman (but don't know if that could be concidered doo wop or not). I can't think of any others off hand. I'm sure at 2 a.m. I will come up with a bunch of them.  ;D

Cat

Written By: Bobby on 08/17/05 at 1:51 pm

I like doo wop. I like the songs you listed. I also like the song Mr. Sandman (but don't know if that could be concidered doo wop or not). I can't think of any others off hand. I'm sure at 2 a.m. I will come up with a bunch of them.  ;D

Yay!!!!  :D

Mr Sandman is good and I think it's definitely harmony if not doo wop.

I will look forward to your recommendations.

Oh I love 'Looking for an echo' by The Persuasions too in a big way.  8)

Written By: Paul on 08/17/05 at 4:09 pm

Love the stuff...

I won't make an extensive list, but must mention...

'Gee' - The Crows
'Sh-Boom' - The Chords
'Earth Angel' - The Penguins

...three early 'crossover' hits which proved that the originals were just as good as the sanitised versions...

(These three records were also released in Britain in 1954-55 and died on their collective backsides...to own original British 45s of all three (assuming you could find 'em) would set you back about at least six thousand quid!)

One 'sanitised' version that was better than the original...'Little Darlin'' - The Diamonds

And, if you can, try and get a hold of Stan Freberg's hilarious send-up of 'Sh-Boom'...

Written By: Albert on 08/18/05 at 2:23 am

I love these to name a few...

"Denise" - Randy & the Rainbows
"Cara, Mia" - Jay & the Americans
"Oh How Happy" - The Shades of Blue
"This Magic Moment" - Jay & the Americans
"Oh, What a Night" - The Dells

Written By: Bobby on 08/18/05 at 3:11 am

Love the stuff...

I won't make an extensive list, but must mention...

'Gee' - The Crows
'Sh-Boom' - The Chords
'Earth Angel' - The Penguins

...three early 'crossover' hits which proved that the originals were just as good as the sanitised versions...

(These three records were also released in Britain in 1954-55 and died on their collective backsides...to own original British 45s of all three (assuming you could find 'em) would set you back about at least six thousand quid!)

One 'sanitised' version that was better than the original...'Little Darlin'' - The Diamonds

And, if you can, try and get a hold of Stan Freberg's hilarious send-up of 'Sh-Boom'...

What do you mean by 'sanitised', Paul?

I love 'Little Darlin' by The Diamonds.  8)

I will look out for the Stan Freberg cover.

Written By: Bobby on 08/18/05 at 3:13 am

"Denise" - Randy & the Rainbows

I was thinking about this song while starting up the thread. Absolutely brilliant. Who would have thought this is the original of the Blondie classic 'Denis'?

Written By: Paul on 08/18/05 at 7:18 am

What do you mean by 'sanitised', Paul?

By that, I'm referiing to the 'cover' versions which were normally recorded by a white act for the general pop market...

These were normally 'sanitised' by cleaning up dubious lyrics for airplay ('Shake Rattle & Roll' being one example), or by making the arrangements a bit more polished for mass audience consumption...the originals would always be that bit 'earthier'...)

It's said that these white acts kept the black acts from having the hit, but it did lead to this style of music being accepted by the public and led to the black artists gaining a toehold chartwise...

Written By: Bobby on 08/18/05 at 1:31 pm

By that, I'm referiing to the 'cover' versions which were normally recorded by a white act for the general pop market...

These were normally 'sanitised' by cleaning up dubious lyrics for airplay ('Shake Rattle & Roll' being one example), or by making the arrangements a bit more polished for mass audience consumption...the originals would always be that bit 'earthier'...)

Ah! I get you know, Paul. I could only imagine the lyrics for 'Shake, Rattle and Roll'.  ;D

It's said that these white acts kept the black acts from having the hit, but it did lead to this style of music being accepted by the public and led to the black artists gaining a toehold chartwise...

I agree with you there and probably paved the way for Motown too.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 08/18/05 at 2:24 pm

I like Doo Wop in small doses.  :)

Written By: Paul on 08/18/05 at 3:30 pm

Ah! I get you know, Paul. I could only imagine the lyrics for 'Shake, Rattle and Roll'.  ;D

Well, put it this way...the original went...'Get out of bed and wash your face and hands...' - you probably need no explanation as to what this refers to...!

I agree with you there and probably paved the way for Motown too.

In a roundabout way, but Motown's brief from the start was to make music that would appeal to black and white youngsters alike - and in successfully doing so, probably did more to break down racial barriers than people would care to admit...

Written By: ADH13 on 08/18/05 at 8:28 pm

I love doo-wop!!

Some of my favorites are

Blue Moon - The Marcels
So Much In Love - The Tymes
Book Of Love - The Monotones
There's A Moon Out Tonight - Capris
Little Star - The Elegants

and many, many more

Written By: Bobby on 08/19/05 at 2:19 am

Well, put it this way...the original went...'Get out of bed and wash your face and hands...' - you probably need no explanation as to what this refers to...!

I'm thinking . . .  ;D

In a roundabout way, but Motown's brief from the start was to make music that would appeal to black and white youngsters alike - and in successfully doing so, probably did more to break down racial barriers than people would care to admit...

I think it did. Aretha Franklin, Aaron Neville, Drifters, Diana Ross, Smokey Robinson are all legends.  :)

Written By: Bobby on 08/19/05 at 2:21 am

I love doo-wop!!

I'm glad to hear it, Andrea.  8)

Some of my favorites are

Blue Moon - The Marcels

The book of love is a class song!  8)

I don't think I've heard these tracks - I think I've got some downloading to do.  8)

Written By: ADH13 on 08/19/05 at 2:31 am

I'm glad to hear it, Andrea.  8)

The book of love is a class song!  8)

I don't think I've heard these tracks - I think I've got some downloading to do.  8)

So Much In Love was covered by All-4-One in the early 90's.. that might ring a bell.  It's a really good song.

Written By: Bobby on 08/19/05 at 2:59 am

I like Doo Wop in small doses.  :)

That's cool, Karen.  8)

Written By: Bobby on 08/19/05 at 3:00 am

So Much In Love was covered by All-4-One in the early 90's.. that might ring a bell.  It's a really good song.

I only know one song of theirs and that's 'I swear'.  :)

Written By: ADH13 on 08/19/05 at 3:02 am

I don't know that they would exactly be doo-wop (although they are often classified as doo-wop) but i LOVE The Platters.  They're probably my favorite group/artist from that era.

Written By: Bobby on 08/19/05 at 3:46 am

I don't know that they would exactly be doo-wop (although they are often classified as doo-wop) but i LOVE The Platters.  They're probably my favorite group/artist from that era.

I think they are classed as Doo Wop though they differ a little from it. They were quite a force around that era with songs like 'Smoke gets in your eyes','Only you' and 'The Great Pretender'.  :)

Written By: Paul on 08/19/05 at 4:41 am

I love doo-wop!!

Some of my favorites are

Blue Moon - The Marcels

and many, many more

All fine songs and worth getting hold of, especially 'So Much In Love' - quite beautiful...

The Elegants were slightly different from most doo-wop group as they were all white kids, predating Dion & The Belmonts by a year...

Written By: zcrito on 08/19/05 at 10:00 pm

I love these to name a few...

"Oh How Happy" - The Shades of Blue

Good pick. That's a good one.

I love doo-wop!!

Some of my favorites are

Blue Moon - The Marcels

There's not much doo-wop I like but those two make the grade. I especially like the music on The Monotones one.

And does "Why Do Fools Fall in Love?" by Frankie Lymon & the Teenagers count as doo-wop ? If it does then it's one I like.

Written By: Bobby on 08/20/05 at 7:51 am

Good pick. That's a good one.

I mayhave to download that one.

There's not much doo-wop I like but those two make the grade. I especially like the music on The Monotones one.

Yes 'Book of Love' is a great song.  8)

And does "Why Do Fools Fall in Love?" by Frankie Lymon & the Teenagers count as doo-wop ? If it does then it's one I like.

I guess it does zcrito.  :)

Some more of my favourites . . .

Runaround Sue - Dion
Every day of the week - Students
It will stand - Showmen
Let's start all over again - Paragons
Pretty little angel eyes - Curtis Lee
Stay - Maurice Williams and the Zodiacs

Written By: mandamoo on 08/20/05 at 8:16 am

I like Doo wop Bobby !  Particularly 'Blue Moon' and 'Sh'boom (life could be a dream)'  8)

Written By: Bobby on 08/20/05 at 2:01 pm

I like Doo wop Bobby !  Particularly 'Blue Moon' and 'Sh'boom (life could be a dream)'  8)

Wa-hay! You have great taste, Mandamoo.  8)

Written By: hot_wax on 08/21/05 at 2:25 am

I started this topic yonks ago but I think it deserves it's place here again . . .

I love Doo Wop music! Some of my favourite songs are . . .

Blue moon - Marcels
Come go with me - Del Vikings
Silhouettes - Rays
Adorable - Drifters

Bobby, you bring the topic of Doo Wop to the Colony, the soul sounds of the Rock N' Roll movement back of the 50's and early 60's. There where many groups, but the popular ones like the Drifters, the Flamingos, the Harptones they all sang love songs for lovers and made lovers out of the casual daters. Lyrics to make love to, and songs of lost loves, break-ups, the good times and the bad times of the affair. It wasn't just the music or lyrics that it was a style and presentation of the groups that sang them. The Duprees sang "My own True Love" and "You Belong to Me" songs of a new love begining, then "Why don't you Believe Me" a song when the romance sours over a stupid fight with your lover, then "Have You Heard" a lovers question of their past. The subjects of the songs are not new but the Duprees style and presentation are lore in the Doo Wop sound.

Most songs where remakes from the 30's and 40's but presented in a new sound associated with Rock n' Roll but it isn't Rock n' Roll per say but a diciple of the movement of the time and will always be one of the building blocks that Rock n' Roll  evolved from.

I always liked "Jackie & The Starlites" His hook was that he sang and cried in his songs lyrics. "Little Anthony and the Imperials" sang "Tears on my Pillow" and "Just Two Kinds of People in The World",  songs like "Sunday Kind of Love" "Wind" "Valerie" "That's My Desire" and the groups Jesters, the Paragons, Dells, Moonglows Crests the Diamonds, they all touched your lives back then  and molded love affaires that still going strong today...and the Doo Wop song of all Doo wop songs the Holy Anthem of all Doo Wop songs is still and always will be "In the Still of the Night" by Fred Parris and the Satins...it's a prefect piece of music for anyone in love today!

These songs and groups will forever be the hearts and minds of the people who lived these times, a time where new sound in music didn't have a label called "Doo Wop" it was only called Rock N' Roll...call it what it what you want it's still great music to listen to today.

Great topic Bobby, thanks!

Hot Wax       

Written By: gemini on 08/21/05 at 2:04 pm

I really like Doo Wop! I started thinking of some of the songs I like and had to figure out who sang some of them, so here's a few of my favorites. Not sure if they are all considered Doo Wop or not, you can let me know what you think.

Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me by Mel Carter
Since I Don't Have You by The Skyliners
Teenager In Love by Dion and the Belmonts
In The Still Of The Night by 5 Satins

Written By: jackas on 08/21/05 at 3:28 pm

I really like Doo Wop, it's so much fun. :)

Here are some of my favorites:

I Wonder Why - Dion & The Belmonts

Get A Job - Silhouette

Rama Lama Ding Dong - The Esdels

The Stroll - The Diamonds

In The Still Of The Night - Fred Paris & The Satins

Runaway - Del Shannon

and some that have been mentioned like Blue Moon, This Magic Moment and most of The Platters songs.

Written By: Paul on 08/21/05 at 5:17 pm

I really like Doo Wop! I started thinking of some of the songs I like and had to figure out who sang some of them, so here's a few of my favorites. Not sure if they are all considered Doo Wop or not, you can let me know what you think.

Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me by Mel Carter
Since I Don't Have You by The Skyliners
Teenager In Love by Dion and the Belmonts
In The Still Of The Night by 5 Satins

The first one isn't, but it's class anyway...so I don't care!

The rest are copper-bottomed classics of the genre...very nice Rhonda!

Written By: gemini on 08/21/05 at 6:50 pm

The first one isn't, but it's class anyway...so I don't care!

The rest are copper-bottomed classics of the genre...very nice Rhonda!

Yea, I love that first one. It's awesome. I think I heard it in a movie once, but I can't remember which one.  :-\\

Written By: Bobby on 08/21/05 at 8:35 pm

Yea, I love that first one. It's awesome. I think I heard it in a movie once, but I can't remember which one.  :-\\

I think 'In the still of the night" was part of the soundtrack to 'Dirty Dancing'.  :)

Written By: Bobby on 08/21/05 at 8:42 pm

Bobby, you bring the topic of Doo Wop to the Colony, the soul sounds of the Rock N' Roll movement back of the 50's and early 60's. There where many groups, but the popular ones like the Drifters, the Flamingos, the Harptones they all sang love songs for lovers and made lovers out of the casual daters. Lyrics to make love to, and songs of lost loves, break-ups, the good times and the bad times of the affair. It wasn't just the music or lyrics that it was a style and presentation of the groups that sang them. The Duprees sang "My own True Love" and "You Belong to Me" songs of a new love begining, then "Why don't you Believe Me" a song when the romance sours over a stupid fight with your lover, then "Have You Heard" a lovers question of their past. The subjects of the songs are not new but the Duprees style and presentation are lore in the Doo Wop sound.

What you are saying reminds me of the Viscounts classic; "Who put the bomp (in the bomp bomp bomp)".

Absolutely spot on, hot wax. Doo wop, despite the unorthodox beat and humourous harmonising, is a very romantic art-form and covers a lot of aspects of love - the negative and the positive.

Most songs where remakes from the 30's and 40's but presented in a new sound associated with Rock n' Roll but it isn't Rock n' Roll per say but a diciple of the movement of the time and will always be one of the building blocks that Rock n' Roll  evolved from.

I always said that 'Doo wop' was the forerunner of Rock and Roll. Listen to 'Twist and shout' (especially by The Isley Brothers) and you know what I mean.

I always liked "Jackie & The Starlites" His hook was that he sang and cried in his songs lyrics.

I will definitely look out for them, hot wax.  8)

"Little Anthony and the Imperials" sang "Tears on my Pillow" and "Just Two Kinds of People in The World",  songs like "Sunday Kind of Love" "Wind" "Valerie" "That's My Desire" and the groups Jesters, the Paragons, Dells, Moonglows Crests the Diamonds, they all touched your lives back then  and molded love affaires that still going strong today...and the Doo Wop song of all Doo wop songs the Holy Anthem of all Doo Wop songs is still and always will be "In the Still of the Night" by Fred Parris and the Satins...it's a prefect piece of music for anyone in love today!

I love quite a few of those and must agree that 'In the still of the night" is the perfect slow dance with your partner.  8)

These songs and groups will forever be the hearts and minds of the people who lived these times, a time where new sound in music didn't have a label called "Doo Wop" it was only called Rock N' Roll...call it what it what you want it's still great music to listen to today.

I think it's electric and so many people should be listening to it, IMO.  8)

Great topic Bobby, thanks!

Hot Wax       

Thank you for such an insightful post, hot wax.  8)

Written By: ADH13 on 08/21/05 at 11:06 pm

This song has been getting stuck in my head off and on ever since I read this post.  Thanks alot ;D

(not that its a bad song or anything... it's just been *4* days now!)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/23/05 at 12:54 pm

This song has been getting stuck in my head off and on ever since I read this post.  Thanks alot ;D

Same here.  ;D

Cat

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 08/23/05 at 2:27 pm

"At The Hop" - Danny & The Juniors
"Where Or When" - Dion & The Belmonts
"I Only Have Eyes For You" - The Flamingos
"Charlie Brown" - The Coasters

Written By: Bobby on 08/23/05 at 3:08 pm

I think it should be the American National Anthem, lol - four days? Get on! I could think of worse songs to get stuck in my head for longer - and they have been.  ;D

Written By: Bobby on 08/23/05 at 3:09 pm

Funnily enough, LSP, I never could get into 'Where or when' by Dion but liked most of their other stuff. At the hop is brilliant and The Coasters are great too (especially 'Yakketty Yak').

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 08/23/05 at 4:11 pm

"Hushabye" - The Mystics (1959)

Written By: mary on 08/23/05 at 6:35 pm

OMG. ME,ME,ME. I LOOOOOOOVE DOO WOP and i'm only 25 heeheehee. i love watching the movies cry baby and hairspray for the songs. they were great songs

Written By: Bobby on 08/30/05 at 12:47 pm

OMG. ME,ME,ME. I LOOOOOOOVE DOO WOP and i'm only 25 heeheehee. i love watching the movies cry baby and hairspray for the songs. they were great songs

That's great, mary. I'm only 26!  ;D

Written By: Albert on 09/09/05 at 2:59 am

A song that I feel has a lot in common with the early-1958 #1 hit "At the Hop" is the late-1965 #4 hit "Keep on Dancing" by The Gentrys...I absolutely LOVE "Keep on Dancing" and I consider it both doo-wop and rock & roll. Another song I absolutely love that I consider to be doo wop is the 1967 #2 hit "Dedicated to the One I Love" by The Mamas & the Papas. I also love "Stay in My Corner" by The Dells (#10 in 1968) and "Walkin' in the Rain" by Jay & the Americans (#19 in 1970).

Written By: whistledog on 09/09/05 at 5:27 pm

Why Do Fools Fall in Love - Frankie Lymon and the Teenagers :)

Written By: hot_wax on 09/11/05 at 10:14 pm

A song that I feel has a lot in common with the early-1958 #1 hit "At the Hop" is the late-1965 #4 hit "Keep on Dancing" by The Gentrys...I absolutely LOVE "Keep on Dancing" and I consider it both doo-wop and rock & roll. Another song I absolutely love that I consider to be doo wop is the 1967 #2 hit "Dedicated to the One I Love" by The Mamas & the Papas. I also love "Stay in My Corner" by The Dells (#10 in 1968) and "Walkin' in the Rain" by Jay & the Americans (#19 in 1970).

Albert, I think around 1963/64 the true Doo Wop style and sound came to an end on the radio with the arrival of the Beatles new sound in Rockn' Roll music and Folk sound was coming up strong also, the Motown sound was ruling the airwaves too in the mid and late 60's with that new sound and style and was the closest to the doo wop sound and style in the late 60's but not true doo wop, there was to much electric innovations in the productions. The doo wop songs where recorded in small recording studios with 90% vocals and only a couple of rhythm instruments, the group's members would sing the instrument parts, this is where "Doo Wop" got it's name, the groups would sing quasi-lyrics like "shu be do wop doo wop doo wop" and bend sounds and drag out and repeat the lead singers lyrics in harmony immulating what musical instruments would do in a song, and the bass singer was as popular as the lead singer to give the song that certain distinct sound separating it from the structured rock 'n roll songs of that time.

Reading some of the others reply's of what they think is the Doo Wop sound should down load a few songs from the "Paragons meet the Jesters's" album for starters. Listen to the background group sing and you'll hear the roots sounds of Doo Wop.

Hot Wax           

Written By: whistledog on 09/12/05 at 1:02 am

What you are saying reminds me of the Viscounts classic; "Who put the bomp (in the bomp bomp bomp)".

Ever heard the cheesy 1982 version of that by Showaddywaddy?

Written By: DaBukaba on 09/12/05 at 4:21 am

Albert, I think around 1963/64 the true Doo Wop style and sound came to an end on the radio with the arrival of the Beatles new sound in Rockn' Roll music and Folk sound was coming up strong also, the Motown sound was ruling the airwaves too in the mid and late 60's with that new sound and style and was the closest to the doo wop sound and style in the late 60's but not true doo wop, there was to much electric innovations in the productions. The doo wop songs where recorded in small recording studios with 90% vocals and only a couple of rhythm instruments, the group's members would sing the instrument parts, this is where "Doo Wop" got it's name, the groups would sing quasi-lyrics like "shu be do wop doo wop doo wop" and bend sounds and drag out and repeat the lead singers lyrics in harmony immulating what musical instruments would do in a song, and the bass singer was as popular as the lead singer to give the song that certain distinct sound separating it from the structured rock 'n roll songs of that time.

Reading some of the others reply's of what they think is the Doo Wop sound should down load a few songs from the "Paragons meet the Jesters's" album for starters. Listen to the background group sing and you'll hear the roots sounds of Doo Wop.

Hot Wax             

I'm sorry but I disagree...I feel that the late-'60s were a very, VERY mixed musical time with songs drastically different from each other side-by-side on the charts, with the older-started styles still present. If you'd just listen to any of those songs I mentioned...forget the fact that they peaked between 1965 and 1970 and take them at face value and you'd see what I mean about doo-wop. And I feel that nonsense words are not absolutely integral to doo-wop...I've heard doo-wop songs dating from the 50's that don't have those nonsense words. The songs I wrote have no electric innovations present in them, they have a lead singer, and other singers beautifully weaving harmonies, and are incomparably more doo-wop than Motown songs in the late-60's. (Now that I think of it, by the way, 2 of the songs I mentioned have "doo-doo-doo..." words in them.) For just one example of the ones I mentioned earlier on this board, "Oh, What a Night" by The Dells was #10 in late-1969 and was a remake of their own 1956 song "Oh, What a Night," though the '56 original didn't crack the Hot 100...their 1969 re-make was 100% every bit as much doo-wop as the '56 one -- I honestly believe even more so, and very non-electric instrumentation of a saxophone, a high triple-piano-key beat, a bass, violins, and drums. I also don't believe a necessity of a doo-wop song is little instrumentation, so long as the vocal harmonies and style is there. For instance the lush orchestration of 1969's "Oh, What a Night" does not make it a non-doo-wop song with the original being one. "Walkin' in the Rain" has very basic instrumentation, and is from the same group that had brought a doo-wop classic that's from '69 (peaked at #6) -- "This Magic Moment" ("magic, woah-oh-oh magic, woah-oh-oh magic -- moment"). For an example of a doo-wop song with VERY basic instrumentation there's "Oh How Happy" by The Shades of Blue that peaked at #12 in 1966, using hand-claps, piano, chime, and, of course, the vocals. 1965's  "Keep on Dancing" (which peaked at #4), like 1958's "At the Hop," uses only drums and piano in a purely rock & roll style (along with the harmonizing). Finally, I'm sorry, but the truth is you're just making a judgment call based on the years I gave withouth actually having heard the songs and verifying whether or not you feel they're doo-wop.

Written By: Albert on 09/12/05 at 4:59 am

I must say this...if you're still in disagreement with me I just want to agree to disagree (I know I won't change my mind). Thank you.

Written By: DaBukaba on 09/12/05 at 5:07 am

Just thought of another one I love..."I'm on the Outside (Looking in)" - Little Anthony & the Imperials

Written By: oneno on 09/13/05 at 11:34 am

Actually in an odd of shoot way, doo-wop was the forerunner to RAP. The inner city guys standing around a burning barrel on a cool fall night singing doo wop then becam Rhythm Accappella Phonetics. 

Written By: Bobby on 09/13/05 at 3:49 pm

Ever heard the cheesy 1982 version of that by Showaddywaddy?

I like both versions, lol. Showaddywaddy are a great band but I think their version of 'Under the moon of love' could have had more oomph to it (the original being the most excellent Curtis Lee version - I believe he is the original until someone tells me different  ;D).

Written By: Bobby on 09/13/05 at 3:52 pm

Actually in an odd of shoot way, doo-wop was the forerunner to RAP. The inner city guys standing around a burning barrel on a cool fall night singing doo wop then becam Rhythm Accappella Phonetics. 

I agree that there is a certain evolution there, oneno.

Written By: hot_wax on 09/13/05 at 9:48 pm

I'm sorry but I disagree...I feel that the late-'60s were a very, VERY mixed musical time with songs drastically different from each other side-by-side on the charts, with the older-started styles still present. If you'd just listen to any of those songs I mentioned...forget the fact that they peaked between 1965 and 1970 and take them at face value and you'd see what I mean about doo-wop. And I feel that nonsense words are not absolutely integral to doo-wop...I've heard doo-wop songs dating from the 50's that don't have those nonsense words. The songs I wrote have no electric innovations present in them, they have a lead singer, and other singers beautifully weaving harmonies, and are incomparably more doo-wop than Motown songs in the late-60's. (Now that I think of it, by the way, 2 of the songs I mentioned have "doo-doo-doo..." words in them.) For just one example of the ones I mentioned earlier on this board, "Oh, What a Night" by The Dells was #10 in late-1969 and was a remake of their own 1956 song "Oh, What a Night," though the '56 original didn't crack the Hot 100...their 1969 re-make was 100% every bit as much doo-wop as the '56 one -- I honestly believe even more so, and very non-electric instrumentation of a saxophone, a high triple-piano-key beat, a bass, violins, and drums. I also don't believe a necessity of a doo-wop song is little instrumentation, so long as the vocal harmonies and style is there. For instance the lush orchestration of 1969's "Oh, What a Night" does not make it a non-doo-wop song with the original being one. "Walkin' in the Rain" has very basic instrumentation, and is from the same group that had brought a doo-wop classic that's from '69 (peaked at #6) -- "This Magic Moment" ("magic, woah-oh-oh magic, woah-oh-oh magic -- moment"). For an example of a doo-wop song with VERY basic instrumentation there's "Oh How Happy" by The Shades of Blue that peaked at #12 in 1966, using hand-claps, piano, chime, and, of course, the vocals. 1965's  "Keep on Dancing" (which peaked at #4), like 1958's "At the Hop," uses only drums and piano in a purely rock & roll style (along with the harmonizing). Finally, I'm sorry, but the truth is you're just making a judgment call based on the years I gave withouth actually having heard the songs and verifying whether or not you feel they're doo-wop.

I repled to this last night, I don't see it posted tonight...?  Hot Wax

Written By: hot_wax on 09/13/05 at 10:33 pm

I must say this...if you're still in disagreement with me I just want to agree to disagree (I know I won't change my mind). Thank you.

Maybe it was your post I replied to for Dabukabu posting, via e-mail, if I did in error please post my reply in the chat room posts. Thanks

PS...It's not me who says what is a Doo Wop song and what is not, the songs and the Artists recording them in Doo Wop style that do. Hey! You don't have to change your mind of you really really think you are right...but you know, the old saying goes "being half right is all wrong" 

Good discusssion! HW 

Written By: DaBukaba on 09/19/05 at 12:36 am

Two more that I love: "In the Still of the Nite" - The Five Satins and "There's a Moon Out Tonight" - The Capris .

Written By: zcrito on 09/19/05 at 1:55 am

I heard that one on the radio last week. I especially like the "Are the stars out tonight, I dont know if it's cloudy or bright...", part (and the other parts in the song just like it  :) ) -- they're timeless.

Written By: whistledog on 09/19/05 at 10:38 am

Neil Young and the Shocking Pinks had a popular 1983 doo-wop song here in Canada called Wonderin'  I really like that song :)

Written By: hot_wax on 09/21/05 at 8:41 pm

Two more that I love: "In the Still of the Nite" - The Five Satins and "There's a Moon Out Tonight" - The Capris .

Yes, classic Doo Wop, and a couple of the best recorded, "In the Still of the Night" is the Holy anthem of them all.

Try to get and listen to some of the Acapppella doo wop groups of the early 60's, no instruments only voices singing it all. The Savoys, The Zircons, The Versailles, The Five Fashions, in fact if you can locate a album called "I Dig Acappella" it has them all on it and other groups. They came straight from the allyways and high school mensrooms, or anywhere they could find an echo background, and try to capture the same echoed sound on hot wax. Listen and enjoy...the true meaning of Doo Wop!

Hot Wax 

Written By: Albert on 09/26/05 at 5:49 pm

Some other greats..."You Belong to Me" by The Duprees , "So Much in Love" by The Tymes , and "Somewhere" by The Tymes .

Written By: hot_wax on 09/27/05 at 10:52 pm

Some other greats..."You Belong to Me" by The Duprees , "So Much in Love" by The Tymes , and "Somewhere" by The Tymes .

Albert, I'd say The Tymes "Somewhere" was the last of the soft type Doo Wop accapella song played on mainstream radio. After that song in 64 the Doo Wop music on commercial radio died, music was changing quickly and every radio station wanted the new Beatle sound and the new English groups being played on their station and Rock 'n Roll as we knew it in all it's forms where put on the back burner in favor of the Animals, Rolling Stones, Dave Clark Five, Hermen's Hermits, Turtles, etc. Doo Wop was dead in 65 for sure, if it wasn't the good old USA group Frankie Vallie and the Four Season's with their unique sound and the up and coming MoTown sound in the mix of this musical transformation the English groups would have ruled 100% the USA airways starting in 1964.

HW 

Written By: Albert on 10/01/05 at 5:41 am

As for rock & roll, I can think of a lot of examples of pure rock & roll still being present (in addition to the others). Some examples: "Keep on Dancing" ; Johnny Rivers songs including "Memphis" and "Seventh Son" ; "I Fought the Law" by The Bobby Fuller Four ; "Nobody But Me" - The Human Beinz ; "Suzie Q. (Part One)" - CCR ; "Travelin' Band" - CCR . Also, as a music collector, I beg to differ...I feel there were very much of American artists & songs popular at the same time as Motown and British Invasion being popular. For just two examples of very, VERY many (too many to mention), I'll just right 2 teen-tragedy songs that came to mind to me right now, both of which peaked highly as an example of American hits at the same time as the British Invasion..."Leader of the Pack" by The Shangri-Las was #1 in late-'64, "Last Kiss" by J. Frank Wilson & the Cavaliers was #2 in late-'64. Gotta mention The Righteous Brothers (working with the famous Phil Spector) who had several huge hits in the mid-60's including "Unchained Melody" (#4 for 2 weeks starting 8/28/65).

Written By: ADH13 on 01/03/06 at 3:35 pm

Another awesome one I forgot to mention...

Remember Then - The Earls

Another one I really liked when I was a kid was called "You Talk Too Much" but I can't for the life of me rememeber who sang it.. and I don't think I've heard it since I was a kid.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/03/06 at 4:18 pm

Another one I really liked when I was a kid was called "You Talk Too Much" but I can't for the life of me rememeber who sang it.. and I don't think I've heard it since I was a kid.

Joe Jones. I always thought that song was about me.  ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: ADH13 on 01/03/06 at 4:20 pm

Joe Jones. I always thought that song was about me.  ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Thanks! I'll have to download it one of these days... :)

Written By: whistledog on 01/03/06 at 4:38 pm

There was a great medley of doo-wop songs from 1982 called "Memories of Days Gone By" by legendary group Fred Parris and the Five Satins.  It was not a big hit, but it was a hit, and it's a song I love to death :)

Written By: Gennaro on 07/22/11 at 11:31 pm

How can anyone not like Doowop Music. It is one of the most natural forms of American Music ever created. I am 46 years old, and fell in love with this music when I was about 14 years old, and at the time, Pop, Country, Disco, along with, Hard Rock were flooding the airwaves! Doowop music is timeless with all of it's simplicity and beauty captivating the ear!

Written By: yelimsexa on 07/25/11 at 7:19 am

I am only 26 and actually went to a Doo Wop concert earlier this year with some original groups (Jay & The Americans, The Marcels, The Chiffons, and the surviving incarnations of the Drifters, Coasters, and Platters, and it seemed like the next oldest person there was at least 20 years older than me!

I LOVE to collect vinyl records, particualrly 45's. It only makes me appreciate doo-wop more as for every doo wop record I find from its era, there are five Easy Listening/Pop records that the Your Hit Parade/Variety TV Show adult audiences listened to. Plus, the fact that Doo Wop is pretty much gone from most "oldies" stations these days also adds to it's beauty. There was no technology involved in doo-wop, just good vocal harmonies and driving, syncopated rhythms and songs. It helped make Motown possible as well (the earliest Motown records themself are really just doo-wop).

Written By: zcrito on 07/25/11 at 9:07 pm

The Stereos from 1961,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJNaECPFUcc

Written By: Ryan112390 on 07/29/11 at 12:51 am

I love Doo Wop.

Written By: Albert on 08/03/11 at 2:45 am

Does anyone here other than me like Jay & the Americans? (And I'm not trying to bring "decadeology" into this but please don't respond disagreeing with me on their hits being doo-wop unless you've actually heard their songs, and not on the basis of the fact that they were mid-to-late-'60s.) Their most mammoth US hits were: "Come a Little Bit Closer," "Cara Mia," and "This Magic Moment" -- these songs embody everything that was so special and great about the era and have amazing vocal harmonies, great instrumentation (especially the orchestration of "Cara Mia"), and a powerhouse lead vocal (Jay Black, especially, again in "Cara Mia"). Other good doo-wop groups of the '50s and '60s that spring to mind are Little Anthony & the Imperials ("Tears on My Pillow," "I'm on the Outside (Looking in)" -- I know they're also R&B though), Randy & the Rainbows ("Denise"), The Crests ("Sixteen Candles"), The Platters ("Only You"), The Marcels ("Blue Moon"), The Drifters ("Under the Boardwalk" (also mid-'60s btw))), and one spanning 1962-1968 that maybe I'm the only one on this board who knows of them though they were very huge in their time -- The Lettermen -- my favorite of theirs being 1968's medley "Goin' out of My Head/Can't Take My Eyes off You" -- incorporating remaking the 1964 song by Little Anthony & the Imperials "Goin' out of My Head" and the 1967 Frankie Valli smash hit "Can't Take My Eyes off You." Yes, I am a huge fan of doo wop, but my favorite is Jay & the Americans. There are some great groups incorporating the definite influence of doo wop from the same period like The Beach Boys, The 4 Seasons, and girl groups like The Toys ("A Lover's Concerto") and The Shangri-Las ("Leader of the Pack," and "Remember (Walkin' in the Sand)"), but Jay & the Americans reflect very high-quality pure-form doo wop and were one of the groups (I say 1 of them because there are other examples such as The Shades of Blue, though they were also blue-eyed soul...they did "Oh How Happy" in '66) that helped keep doo wop a continued presence (contrary to modern popular belief) on the upper ranks of Billboard's pop charts throughout the '60s. (Note: I'm not solely a fan of doo wop, and I think the diversity of the late-'60s music scene is striking, and it's interesting that "This Magic Moment" was a gold single the same year (1969) that, for instance, Blood, Sweat & Tears hit gold with "You've Made Me So Very Happy" and Three Dog Night hit gold with "One," but keep in mind that's only two years after hits like Aaron Neville's "Tell It Like It Is" ('67) and "Then You Can Tell Me Goodbye" by The Casinos ('67), also a doo-wop-blue-eyed-soul hybrid, which reminds me The Mamas & the Papas "Dedicated to the One I Love" (huge hit in '67) is VERY doo-wop-inflected (albeit also pop inflected) with its amazing harmonized vocals with Michelle Phillips at lead.) The point of all this doo-wop was still a presence in the '60s.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/04/11 at 12:36 am

The Five Satins: In the Still of the Night
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRb1-SAAIzs

Dion and The Belmonts: A Teenager In Love
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-Xvgv92GBc

Frankie Lyman: Why Do Fools Fall In Love
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sAHiR0rkJg

The Belmonts: Diddle-Dee-Dum
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQ9sa9lgmIw

The Crew Cuts: Sh-Boom
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9G0-4TWwew

the El Dorados: Bim Bam Boom
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgLU91g8bAA

The Silhouettes: Get a Job
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbGthv-dJp4

Cellos - Rang Tang Ding Dong
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_mTSBh7jTI

The Flamingos: I Only Have Eyes for You
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFkc2gbShTY

Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention: Go Cry On Somebody Else's Shoulder
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LvS8qKMAs8

Written By: King Tut on 08/04/11 at 5:08 pm

I like the "doo" part, but the "wop" part takes the original excitement away.    ;D

Written By: Howard on 10/08/13 at 6:16 am

Anyone here still listen to doo wop?

Written By: ralfy on 08/15/16 at 12:15 pm

Carman Romano of the Elegants, RIP

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Elegants

Written By: Howard on 08/15/16 at 2:30 pm

Carman Romano of the Elegants, RIP

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Elegants

Oh No, My Father loves doo-wop and he enjoyed The Elegants, so sad to hear of his passing. :\'(

Check for new replies or respond here...