inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Uptown Girl

Written By: sabrina on 08/25/05 at 4:50 am

I am having a debate with some 50+ men on who sang the original Uptown Girl.  I know Billy Joel did it in my generation.  But who did it first.  They are saying Frankie Valen and the Four Seasons.  Is this true.

Subject: Re: Uptown Girl

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/25/05 at 5:05 am

To my knowledge it was an original.

However I've read that people have often compared it to sounding like the Four Seasons, etc. Personally I never saw this myself - it seems perfectly 80's to me. However, he did have some oldies influences on the Innocent Man album ("The Longest Time" sounds like a barbershop quartet and "Leave a Tender Moment Alone" is like a doowop ballad).

Written By: Paul on 08/25/05 at 7:47 am

Yes, an original all right - and the influence was The Four Seasons...

Most of that album's songs were throwbacks to the kind of music that Joel had grown up with in the 50s/60s...

In 1982, his personal life was in turmoil - he'd just divorced his first wife - and he was involved in a serious motorbike accident at the time of recording his 'Nylon Curtain' album - which was a very dark affair...

After he'd survived all of that, he decided his next album would have a much lighter theme, celebrating the joys of his youth...

It turned out to be his biggest seller globally...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/26/05 at 1:13 pm

I believe that Uptown Girl was written for Christy Brinkley-when Billy Joel was dating him (before they married).

Cat

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 08/27/05 at 2:10 am

I believe that Uptown Girl was written for Christy Brinkley-when Billy Joel was dating him (before they married).
Cat

Yes indeed - it was written about Christie when he was surprised that "someone like her would date someone like him". She also appeared in the video.

In the early 90s when they were still together he would tell the story before singing the song. After they split he point blank refused to ever sing it again.  In fact - when I saw him and Elton John perform together - Elton sung it instead - and Billy sung the original Candle in The Wind in return.

Written By: whitewolf on 08/28/05 at 6:26 pm

Joel wrote this for supermodel Christine Brinkley, who he married less than two years after this was released. Joel is from Long Island, New York, and always considered himself a working-class, regular guy. He was very surprised when the glamorous Brinkley went for him.
The whole album, especially this song, was a sort of tribute to '60s Pop music. Specifically, this one is done in the style of doo wop groups like the Four Seasons.
Brinkley was in the video, playing the Uptown Girl. Joel portrayed a mechanic working on her car.

just some information about the song from this site

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.lasso?id=1666

Check for new replies or respond here...