inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Jake the Peg

Written By: karen on 09/06/05 at 6:34 am

When Rolf Harris is singing Jake the Peg he always sings it with an accent.  Does anyone know what accent it is supposed to be?

Subject: Re: Jake the Peg

Written By: Paul on 09/06/05 at 6:55 am

From memory (I haven't heard it in yonks), it sounds South African...

Written By: karen on 09/06/05 at 7:41 am

We thought it sounded South African as well but weren't really sure.

This is what happens when you spend a long car journey listening to the children's CD's, you start to over analyse them!

Written By: Paul on 09/06/05 at 7:44 am

This is what happens when you spend a long car journey listening to the children's CD's, you start to over analyse them!

I tend to - and I haven't even got children!

Like Bernard Cribbins' double whammy on the state of the British workforce and cowboy builders...'Hole In The Ground' and 'Right Said Fred'...

Written By: Clive Simpson on 09/12/05 at 12:08 pm

When Rolf Harris is singing Jake the Peg he always sings it with an accent.  Does anyone know what accent it is supposed to be?

The accent is supposed to be German

Written By: mrgazpacho on 09/12/05 at 9:37 pm

Actually, according to a TV interview he did on ABC TV (see http://www.abc.net.au/tv/enoughrope/transcripts/s1438410.htm for a transcript), he got the idea from a Dutch guy. So possibly Rolf copied the Dutch accent from him...

Written By: karen on 09/13/05 at 3:34 am

Actually, according to a TV interview he did on ABC TV (see http://www.abc.net.au/tv/enoughrope/transcripts/s1438410.htm for a transcript), he got the idea from a Dutch guy. So possibly Rolf copied the Dutch accent from him...

Thanks for the link mrgazpacho.

We couldn't decide if it was South African or possibly Dutch.  Since most white South Africans were Dutch settlers (if I've remembered correctly) then that explains it.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/27/05 at 5:02 am

Thanks for the link mrgazpacho.

We couldn't decide if it was South African or possibly Dutch.  Since most white South Africans were Dutch settlers (if I've remembered correctly) then that explains it.
Definitely an accent for a country that plays cricket, due to the reference of the game during the song.

Written By: karen on 09/27/05 at 9:03 am

Definitely an accent for a country that plays cricket, due to the reference of the game during the song.

"I used to find me popular whence came the time for cricket
they used to roll my trousers up and use me for the wickets!"

Check for new replies or respond here...