inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Pet Turtles?

Written By: gemini on 09/06/05 at 7:48 am

Did anyone have those little pet turtles? I had 2 of them. They had those oval shaped houses with the bridge and the little fake palm tree. They banned the sale of them in the 70s because of salmonela disease. I just saw a report on our local news where a store chain here was giving them away as a prize for something.  I guess they didn't know they were banned!  :o 

Subject: Re: Pet Turtles?

Written By: star500 on 09/06/05 at 8:27 am

When you said turtles, I thought you meant the group called The Turtles....they sang Happy Together in the '60's ;D. I didn't know you meant actual turtles...andthen I read the rest of your post and noticed you put pet turtles....man, am I slow! :D

Written By: jackas on 09/06/05 at 8:56 am

Did anyone have those little pet turtles? I had 2 of them. They had those oval shaped houses with the bridge and the little fake palm tree. They banned the sale of them in the 70s because of salmonela disease. I just saw a report on our local news where a store chain here was giving them away as a prize for something.  I guess they didn't know they were banned!  :o 

There are some people in the mall here that sell those.  They are so cute though. :)

Written By: bj26 on 09/06/05 at 9:38 am

Yes, I had them as pets on several occasions but didn't have much luck, they always got sick, they were Slider baby turtles.  A friend of mine had two of them that lived a long time, he called them Yankee and Rebel.

Written By: gemini on 09/06/05 at 10:23 am

When you said turtles, I thought you meant the group called The Turtles....they sang Happy Together in the '60's ;D. I didn't know you meant actual turtles...andthen I read the rest of your post and noticed you put pet turtles....man, am I slow! :D

Well, I do like the Turtles too!  ;D

There are some people in the mall here that sell those. They are so cute though. :)

Wow, I'm surprised they're still selling them. I checked a site online and it said they're illegal to sell. Probably just haven't gotten caught yet!  :)

Yes, I had them as pets on several occasions but didn't have much luck, they always got sick, they were Slider baby turtles. A friend of mine had two of them that lived a long time, he called them Yankee and Rebel.

My brother put some in an aquarium with some fish, and they ended up getting really big. I don't remember how long I had mine. Mine were named Cecil and Goober. I can't believe I remembered their names, and I don't even know why I picked those names.  :-\\  :)

Written By: kairi747 on 09/07/05 at 8:34 am

yes!  i had those cute little turtles.  i was 3 when i had mine and there were two of them.  we had to get rid of them because of the whole disease thing.  i still recall the way they smelled. 

Written By: Barefoot_Blues on 09/21/05 at 11:39 am

I had one. I had the little hous with the palm tree too. When he died , I thought he was sleeping , and kept telling my mom not to bury him yet.  :\'(

Written By: gemini on 09/21/05 at 3:56 pm

I had one. I had the little hous with the palm tree too. When he died , I thought he was sleeping , and kept telling my mom not to bury him yet.  :\'(

Awwww, that's sad.  :( 

Written By: Wiffle on 09/22/05 at 12:58 am

I remember having at least one of those turtles in a dish with a palm tree. It (or they) smelled real bad! There was a department store near us way back in the 1960s/early early 1970s, we probably got those turtles the same place we got our clothes!  :D

Written By: mandamoo on 09/24/05 at 2:27 am

We...well....my brother, had three. Teddy, Toby and Tina.

He had them in an old claw bathtub in the backyard. I remember we lost Toby and Tina when it rained for around a fortnight and the tub filled up and they floated away. :(

For some reason - can't remember exactly why - Teddy was okay and we ended up having him for about 15 years  :D

Written By: gemini on 09/24/05 at 2:22 pm

We...well....my brother, had three. Teddy, Toby and Tina.

He had them in an old claw bathtub in the backyard. I remember we lost Toby and Tina when it rained for around a fortnight and the tub filled up and they floated away. :(

For some reason - can't remember exactly why - Teddy was okay and we ended up having him for about 15 years  :D

Wow, that turtle lived a long time.  :o  :) 

Written By: candice_f22 on 09/27/05 at 8:08 am

turtles are cool for pets. didnt know they were banned way back then because of salmonela.. anyway, id really like to have one too.. :D

Written By: GREEN67 on 09/29/05 at 9:01 am

;D I had a pet turtle for years! He lived in a white terrarium ...I had him all through the 70s....Then my cat knocked it over once and killed him..I guess he wasnt afraid and left his head out cause it was chewed off!!  I was SOOO sad.. :\'(

Written By: Southern Image on 09/30/05 at 12:01 pm

I used to have one named Timothy. I was in first grade. He didn't live to long  :( Even though they are illegal here,  I still see them being sold at various fairs.  ???

Written By: whistledog on 09/30/05 at 12:20 pm

I used to have one named Timothy. I was in first grade. He didn't live to long  :( Even though they are illegal here,  I still see them being sold at various fairs.  ???

It's illegal to own a pet turtle?  That's a strange law  ???

Written By: Suicidal Blonde on 09/30/05 at 1:08 pm

It's illegal to own a pet turtle?  That's a strange law  ???

Because of their size (deemed to small & fragile)  and the diseases they carry, California made them illegal to own. But I've seen vendors start selling them again. within the past 2 years, so maybe the laws have changed....

Check for new replies or respond here...