inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: A new school year and that first day back...loved it or hated it?

Written By: hot_wax on 09/06/05 at 11:41 pm

I guess after the sixth grade and entering the seventh in a new Junior High School back in 1959 is when I started to hate it. That first day in a new school...if the anxieties of new teachers, schedules, homework wasn't torcher enough, it was the stress and high anxieties of all the new kids in your grade and now there's eight and ninth graders busting your chops and then it starts all over again entering a new High School.

I hated it for many reasons I can write about later, others loved those first days...I don't know why, do you?

Hot Wax

Subject: Re: A new school year and that first day back...loved it or hated it?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/07/05 at 11:48 am

I must admit that some years I loved but others....I was always the "new kid in town".  I think 11th grade was possibly the best going back. I wasn't the new kid that year and had a great time in 10th grade so I was looking foward to it. But, my senior year, I was once again the new kid.  :(  I really wanted to stay in the other school because I loved it-which is kind of surprising because it had a really bad reputation and there were even race riots about 10 years or so before my time.  :-\\

Cat

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 09/07/05 at 1:28 pm

I always dreaded starting at new schools and having to make new friends because I was very shy.

Written By: Paul on 09/07/05 at 2:28 pm

Hated it for the self-same reason, Karen...

Written By: gemini on 09/07/05 at 3:59 pm

I always loved the first day of school, it meant wearing a brand new cool outfit.  That was the best part, going school shopping and getting some awesome new clothes!  :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/07/05 at 4:02 pm

Hate it!

The buses are full of children again, quiet on the way to school, but very noisy on they way home.

Written By: hot_wax on 09/07/05 at 9:17 pm

I must admit that some years I loved but others....I was always the "new kid in town".  I think 11th grade was possibly the best going back. I wasn't the new kid that year and had a great time in 10th grade so I was looking foward to it. But, my senior year, I was once again the new kid.  :(  I really wanted to stay in the other school because I loved it-which is kind of surprising because it had a really bad reputation and there were even race riots about 10 years or so before my time.  :-\\

Hi Cat! you said you hated going to the first day of senior year because you were the new kid "again" with a really bad reputation, why did you leave one school for another? were you that bad and was expelled?(cool!)

Entering a new school in the senior year has to be the worst thing that could happen to any kid, how far away did you have to go for this new school and were you accepted quickly, did your bad rep hurt or help you?

PS...say hello to DC for me. HW

Cat

Written By: hot_wax on 09/07/05 at 10:08 pm

I always dreaded starting at new schools and having to make new friends because I was very shy.

Me too, I put on good front, but deep down inside I was very self conscious and shy of new people also. Gratefully, I slowly outgrew my social complexes...almost, I still have a few I'm working on today.

HW   

Written By: hot_wax on 09/07/05 at 10:48 pm

I always loved the first day of school, it meant wearing a brand new cool outfit.  That was the best part, going school shopping and getting some awesome new clothes!   :)

I always thought of it as a bribe to get me to like the idea of going back to school, it helped, but I was self conscious of what I wore the first day, " is it cool looking"? "will people like it?" will people laugh at my tastes in clothes?" Oh! the torcher of that first day, even my new clothes gave me a complex. After a few weeks I blended in with what was the fad at that time and chucked away what wasn't "cool" and things slowly got better with time.

HW

Written By: hot_wax on 09/07/05 at 11:05 pm

Hate it!

The buses are full of children again, quiet on the way to school, but very noisy on they way home.

I never took a bus to any school, always walked or later drove myself there, I know I would've really hated that, like prisoners going to jail...AAAAAH! just the thinking of it, it would've put me a social criple. I'm glad I missed out on that thrilling experience!

HW

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/08/05 at 10:51 am

Hi Cat! you said you hated going to the first day of senior year because you were the new kid "again" with a really bad reputation, why did you leave one school for another? were you that bad and was expelled?(cool!)

Entering a new school in the senior year has to be the worst thing that could happen to any kid, how far away did you have to go for this new school and were you accepted quickly, did your bad rep hurt or help you?

PS...say hello to DC for me. HW

I don't think I made myself clear with my last post. The school I left had a bad reputation but I loved it-don't ask me why. We moved so I had to change schools-which was the reason why I changed schools so many times. Before I graduated, I went to 11 different schools in 5 different states (that is from 1st grade to 12th). One year, I went to 3 different school. I think my family had Gypsy in their blood.

BTW, I will tell Carlos.  ;) ;D

Cat

Written By: PennyLane0630 on 09/08/05 at 12:12 pm

I was pretty bored by the time Sept rolled around so I looked forward to it, but didn't like getting up earlier to get there! :o

Written By: hot_wax on 09/09/05 at 10:10 pm

I don't think I made myself clear with my last post. The school I left had a bad reputation but I loved it-don't ask me why. We moved so I had to change schools-which was the reason why I changed schools so many times. Before I graduated, I went to 11 different schools in 5 different states (that is from 1st grade to 12th). One year, I went to 3 different school. I think my family had Gypsy in their blood.

BTW, I will tell Carlos.  ;) ;D

Cat

AAAWW Cat, it was more intriguing when you had the bad rep! but we all know you're an Angel and you made it clear everyone... WOW! 11 schools, and 3 in one year, you're calloused to the first days and going to them is like water off a ducks back to you and you must have mastered the art of making freinds quickly too. "You Go Girl " must have been written just for you!

HW

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 09/09/05 at 10:21 pm

It was bittersweet, I guess. Nearing the end of Summer, I would run out of things to do and was kind of ready to go back. However, when the alarm clock went off on the first morning--I remember literally crying and throwing my pillow across the room in anger (I'm not a morning person...at ALL). I hated how it was always such a huge deal with people about what to wear the first day. I hated how teachers would go over crap you already knew about. Well... I guess you could say I hated it more than loved it. 

Beth, yo

Written By: hot_wax on 09/09/05 at 10:24 pm

I was pretty bored by the time Sept rolled around so I looked forward to it, but didn't like getting up earlier to get there! :o

Hi PennyLane, you were bored but did you like the "first" day? was it a 6:00 AM wakening for you too? mine started at 6:00 and most times just get there before the 8:15 late bell...

HW

Written By: hot_wax on 09/09/05 at 10:33 pm

It was bittersweet, I guess. Nearing the end of Summer, I would run out of things to do and was kind of ready to go back. However, when the alarm clock went off on the first morning--I remember literally crying and throwing my pillow across the room in anger (I'm not a morning person...at ALL). I hated how it was always such a huge deal with people about what to wear the first day. I hated how teachers would go over crap you already knew about. Well... I guess you could say I hated it more than loved it. 

Beth, yo

Hey Mid', Yes! Yes! Yes! I read you loud and clear! but after that first bad day I did that pillow thing most every morning thereafter.

HW

Written By: zcrito on 09/10/05 at 12:18 am

One of my favorite times of the school year but not as unique as the end of May. I do have fond memories of the first two weeks or so of every school year, especially in high school and even college.

The songs that were popular during the end of May and the beginning of September are some of the songs I'll never forget.

Written By: NullandVoid on 09/10/05 at 1:50 am

I loved all of my first days of school except for my senior. Things were really starting to go bad with me then :-[

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 09/10/05 at 2:41 am

The first day...

I tend to be happy that the holidays are finally going to be over (university holidays are way longer than school) up until the first day. But then the first day rolls around, and I'm ready to smash anything that gets in my way. It's not easy going from 12pm wake up to a 7am wake up.  :-X

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/10/05 at 10:23 am

AAAWW Cat, it was more intriguing when you had the bad rep! but we all know you're an Angel and you made it clear everyone... WOW! 11 schools, and 3 in one year, you're calloused to the first days and going to them is like water off a ducks back to you and you must have mastered the art of making freinds quickly too. "You Go Girl " must have been written just for you!

HW

Thanks. Actually my horns were the only thing holding my halo up.  ;)  Because I wasn't a "bad" kid, I could get away with a lot.  ;D Concidering I was caught skipping/smoking so many times, I never served detention.

Cat

Written By: hot_wax on 09/10/05 at 9:42 pm

I loved all of my first days of school except for my senior. Things were really starting to go bad with me then :-[

..."things started to go bad with me then"...THEN WHAT HAPPEN!??? you can tell us we're all family, you know misery loves company, we all lived in those times.

HW

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/10/05 at 10:04 pm

First week of September... I remember dreading it...  ::)

Written By: hot_wax on 09/10/05 at 10:09 pm

Thanks. Actually my horns were the only thing holding my halo up.  ;)  Because I wasn't a "bad" kid, I could get away with a lot.  ;D Concidering I was caught skipping/smoking so many times, I never served detention.

Cat

***DETENTION***101***--- Cat, you brought up a subject that can hold it's own posting. 3:15 PM, room 101, don't be late, sit up straight, no talking, no chewing gum eating or making foul noises and if I see your eyes closing to sleep you'll stand for the rest of the detention. Break any of these rules and I will add more days to your sentence...and all I did this time was tell Miss Katz to go to Hell...What?

Cat, you opened up a whole new can of worms and old wounds. You never got caught...never ever?

HW

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/11/05 at 11:52 am

***DETENTION***101***--- Cat, you brought up a subject that can hold it's own posting. 3:15 PM, room 101, don't be late, sit up straight, no talking, no chewing gum eating or making foul noises and if I see your eyes closing to sleep you'll stand for the rest of the detention. Break any of these rules and I will add more days to your sentence...and all I did this time was tell Miss Katz to go to Hell...What?

Cat, you opened up a whole new can of worms and old wounds. You never got caught...never ever?

HW

Oh I did get caught (I said so in my last post) but since I was such a "good" kid, they never gave me detention. I don't know why. I never questioned it. I remember one time a friend of mine and I were skipping class. We came back into the school right before the next class and as we walked in, there was the principal standing right there. He told us to meet him in his office after school. I didn't go but my friend did and said that he didn't show up.  ;D And other time I was caught smoking by the same teacher TWICE within a couple of days of each other. Why she didn't give me detention, I will never know.

Cat

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 09/11/05 at 12:58 pm

I was pretty bored by then, too, but it still didn't make me wanna go back to school!

Written By: hot_wax on 09/11/05 at 8:07 pm

Oh I did get caught (I said so in my last post) but since I was such a "good" kid, they never gave me detention. I don't know why. I never questioned it. I remember one time a friend of mine and I were skipping class. We came back into the school right before the next class and as we walked in, there was the principal standing right there. He told us to meet him in his office after school. I didn't go but my friend did and said that he didn't show up.  ;D And other time I was caught smoking by the same teacher TWICE within a couple of days of each other. Why she didn't give me detention, I will never know.

Cat

You have an Angel on your shoulder.

Written By: hot_wax on 09/11/05 at 8:50 pm

One of my favorite times of the school year but not as unique as the end of May. I do have fond memories of the first two weeks or so of every school year, especially in high school and even college.

The songs that were popular during the end of May and the beginning of September are some of the songs I'll never forget.

Hi zcrito, I read your reply last night, and you know a flash back of "Lavender Blue dilly dilly...Lavender Green..." started ringing in my head immediatly, haunting me all day today as if it was yesterday going to that first day in Junior High again, another song was "Primrose Lane", it seemed that those songs were programed to be played around 6:00 AM every morning on WABC AM for that month of September, the radio would go off and in the 10 minutes of trying to drag my butt out of bed, those songs would always be played by disc jockey Herb Oscar Anderson, New York's "Morning Mayor" like in the movie "Ground Day" it was like going to that first day of the school everyday over and over and over, it seemed like forever...I did finally smarten up and changed the channel but those songs I'll never forget...I hope they leave my head by tomorrow.

HW       

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/12/05 at 10:01 am

You have an Angel on your shoulder.

Like I said, my horns were the only thing holding that halo up.  ;D

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...