inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Bobbsey Twins books

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/14/05 at 9:02 pm

Who here has read and love the series, "The Bobbsey Twins" books? My mom used to buy them for me when I was younger, and I still have a bunch of the old ones packed away.

Erin :)

Subject: Re: Bobbsey Twins books

Written By: MaryMary on 09/14/05 at 9:22 pm

I remember them! I remember in particular the one where they go to Japan. I learned a few Japanese words that way!

Bert and Nan, and who were the twins? Flossie and Freddie? Or were Bert and Nan twins too?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/14/05 at 9:26 pm

I remember them! I remember in particular the one where they go to Japan. I learned a few Japanese words that way!

Bert and Nan, and who were the twins? Flossie and Freddie? Or were Bert and Nan twins too?

they were 2 sets of twins.

Written By: ktelqueen on 09/15/05 at 3:30 am

i think of them more as 70s..a major impact on my love of reading when i was little..we had just about every one..i loved the houseboat story  :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/15/05 at 6:58 am

i think of them more as 70s..a major impact on my love of reading when i was little..we had just about every one..i loved the houseboat story  :)

I have some really old ones (like from at least the 50's or earlier) that my mom picked up years ago at a used book store.  I do have some more recent ones as well.

Written By: karen on 09/15/05 at 7:13 am

According to this website Bobbsey Twins Bibliography the first book came out in 1904

you know it looks better if you type url= and not url+

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/15/05 at 7:16 am

According to this website Bobbsey Twins Bibliography the first book came out in 1904

yes, Karen...it is a really old series.  I don't have any that date back that far...but I know that a few of mine are at least from the 50's if not a bit earlier. I have them packed away so that they don't get damaged.

Written By: karen on 09/15/05 at 7:33 am

When I saw the name I wondered if they were written by Enid Blyton.  They sound like her sort of thing.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/15/05 at 7:38 am

They were created by a person named, Edward Stratemeyer....although he went under the pen name, "Laura Lee Hope"...although it was said that he supposedly only wrote the first 2 or 3 books of the series...and then hired "ghost writers" to create the rest. Here is a little history of the books....

http://pw2.netcom.com/~drmike99/aboutbobbsey.html

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/15/05 at 12:28 pm

We used to have a lot of the books (along with Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys). I don't think I ever read them because we had them when I was really young and by the time I was ready to read them, we had gotten rid of them (along with many, many other things).

Cat

Written By: MaryMary on 09/15/05 at 9:23 pm

they were 2 sets of twins.

Thanks, Erin!

Mary

Check for new replies or respond here...