inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do you know what song was #1 the day you were born?

Written By: hot_wax on 10/11/05 at 9:07 pm

Do you know what the #1 song was on the day you were born...that's all!

Subject: Re: Do you know what song was #1 the day you were born?

Written By: whistledog on 10/11/05 at 9:26 pm

I do .. and ironically it was the most successful 70's single in America:  "You Light Up My Life" by Debby Boone, which was also the #1 single in Canada as well

In the UK, it was "Mull of Kintyre" by Wings, which was the most successful 70's single in the UK

The 2 biggest hits of the 70's, #1 when I was born.  How lucky am I?  ;)

Written By: hot_wax on 10/11/05 at 10:18 pm

I do .. and ironically it was the most successful 70's single in America:  "You Light Up My Life" by Debby Boone, which was also the #1 single in Canada as well

In the UK, it was "Mull of Kintyre" by Wings, which was the most successful 70's single in the UK

The 2 biggest hits of the 70's, #1 when I was born.  How lucky am I?  ;)

I think it was #1 in September 78'...right?

Written By: whistledog on 10/11/05 at 10:40 pm

I think it was #1 in September 78'...right?

"You Light Up My Life" rose to #1 in America on October 15, 1977.  After a 10 week run, it was knocked off the top on December 24, 1977 by "How Deep is Your Love" by The Bee Gees

"Mull of Kintyre" rose to #1 in the UK on December 3, 1977 and ended it's 9 week run at the top when it was replaced by "Up Town Top Ranking" by Althia & Donna on January 4th, 1978

:)

Written By: Alchoholica on 10/11/05 at 11:16 pm

Nothing's Gonna Change My Love For You - Glenn Medeiros was number one in the Uk and Hold on to the Night by Richard Marx was number one in the states.  :P

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 10/11/05 at 11:25 pm

Don't know the day, but the week of August 3-9 1985 was:
"Shout" by Tears For Fears

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/11/05 at 11:36 pm

David Soul
  Don't Give Up On Us

This was the #1 song the week ending on January 26th, 1977.

Erin :)

Written By: FaultyDog on 10/11/05 at 11:55 pm

Nothing's Gonna Change My Love For You - Glenn Medeiros was number one in the Uk and Hold on to the Night by Richard Marx was number one in the states.  :P

You must feel blessed... ;)

I don't know what was #1 elsewhere in the world, but in The Netherlands it was Little Man by Sonny & Cher.

Written By: Paul on 10/12/05 at 7:38 am

Over here in Britain...'A Whiter Shade Of Pale' - Procol Harum

Over there (points!) in America...'Respect' - Aretha Franklin

And right over there (points wildly!) in Australia...'This Is My Song' - Harry Secombe

(...trust our Australian chums to spoil it...!!)

And, almost all over the world LP-wise...'Sgt. Pepper' - Them Beatles

Written By: karen on 10/12/05 at 7:42 am

I can't remember.  I know I looked it up the last time this was asked (on the old board that crashed).  I'm sure someone posted a link to a site.  The only one I can find wants you to subscribe to it.  I'm not that interested  :P

Written By: Paul on 10/12/05 at 7:46 am

I don't know what was #1 elsewhere in the world, but in The Netherlands it was Little Man by Sonny & Cher.

I'm going on a little bit of guesswork here, Henk, so I'm prepared to be corrected...

UK #1 single...'Distant Drums' - Jim Reeves
US #1 single...'Reach Out (I'll Be There)' - Four Tops
Aus #1 single...'Cara-Lyn' - Johnny Young

Written By: karen on 10/12/05 at 10:09 am

According to this site British hit singles it was Honky Tonk Woman by the Rolling Stones

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 10/12/05 at 11:17 am

I'm not sure what the number one song was in other countries, but in the U.S. it was...

"(You're My) Soul And Inspiration" by The Righteous Brothers  :)

Written By: whitewolf on 10/12/05 at 11:23 am

NUMBER #1'S FROM THIS MONTH IN THE 70'S.
January, 1970 - 'Someday We'll Be Together' - Diana Ross & the Supremes (12/27/69-1/2/70) / 'Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head' - B.J. Thomas (1/3-1/30).

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/12/05 at 12:01 pm

The UK Number One when I was born was Paul Anka's Diana. but I would like to know the US Number One in September 1957?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/12/05 at 12:22 pm

Some of these makes me feel OLD because I remember when they came out (but not ALL  ;) )

After searching, I think I finally found it. In the U.S.  He's So Fine-The Chiffons  (I know, I know, that is dating myself AGAIN!)

Cat

Written By: Alchoholica on 10/12/05 at 12:26 pm

David Soul
  Don't Give Up On Us
This was the #1 song the week ending on January 26th, 1977.

;D ;D ;D ;D

God i wish i could claim that as my one.

I think David Soul is just marvelous.

Now i'm really dateing somebody else.. Kylie Minouges 'Got to be Certian' was number one in Oz the day i was born  ;D No wonder her arse isn't as pert as it used to be  ;D

Written By: Paul on 10/12/05 at 2:26 pm

The UK Number One when I was born was Paul Anka's Diana. but I would like to know the US Number One in September 1957?

Slightly difficult, Mr Phil, because there were two US charts running in tandem at that time...

The 'Best Sellers' was the more accurate of the two...top of that in September '57 was that song mentioned above...^ and also 'Tammy' by Debbie Reynolds - you didn't give an exact date, so I can't be more accurate than that...

Written By: Paul on 10/12/05 at 2:30 pm

I'm not sure what the number one song was in other countries, but in the U.S. it was...

^
Ooh...how true...how true!

'Specially for you, young Karen...

UK #1 single...'Somebody Help Me' - Spencer Davis Group
UK #1 album...'The Sound Of Music' - Original Soundtrack...(Don't laugh, this shifted cartloads!)

Over in Aus, Nancy Sinatra's 'Boots' were doing the walkin' when you entered the world...!!

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 10/12/05 at 3:02 pm

^
Ooh...how true...how true!

'Specially for you, young Karen...

UK #1 album...'The Sound Of Music' - Original Soundtrack...(Don't laugh, this shifted cartloads!)

Over in Aus, Nancy Sinatra's 'Boots' were doing the walkin' when you entered the world...!!

You're very sweet, Paul! ;)

Thanks for that bit of information!!  8)

Written By: FaultyDog on 10/12/05 at 3:49 pm

Going on these two, I guess it would be either Nancy Sinatra (already mentioned) or Kinks (Dedicated follower of fashion), but I could be slightly off.

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 10/12/05 at 3:51 pm

The BeeGees - You Win Again. Great song  8)

Written By: FaultyDog on 10/12/05 at 3:53 pm

Well, you weren't asking me, I know...and there was no official chart in The Netherlands in those days...but according to my information, the number one single in September 1957 would have been Ik Sta Op Wacht by either Joop de Knegt or Hans Brandel. I can't blame you for not knowing the song or the artist(s).

Written By: Dominic L. on 10/12/05 at 3:54 pm

I don't know.. but I'm gonna guess that it's "Smells Like Teen Spirit" by Nirvana

Written By: FaultyDog on 10/12/05 at 3:55 pm

The BeeGees - You Win Again. Great song  8)

...while we had to put up with Never Gonna Give You Up on top at the very same moment. :-\\

Written By: FaultyDog on 10/12/05 at 3:58 pm

btw: it appears to me that this thread shouldn't be in Before The 1970s...more like PPP to me. ???

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 10/12/05 at 4:00 pm

...while we had to put up with Never Gonna Give You Up on top at the very same moment. :-\\

I've had my fair share of bad birthday number ones.... Westlife & Mariah Carey, Eiffel 65 - Blue Da Ba De Da Ba (I wish you'd) Die... but i've also had some great ones (Elton John's 'Candle In The Wind 97'). Oddly, all number one on this very day so many years ago! Number one on this day last year in the UK was Robbie's 'Radio', which knocked 'Call On Me' off number one, before getting knocked off number one by that song a week later!  ;D

Written By: A. Person on 10/12/05 at 4:02 pm

btw: it appears to me that this thread shouldn't be in Before The 1970s...more like PPP to me. ???

I was thinking the same thing, since it deals with multiple time periods. After all, not all of us were born before the 1970's (I certainly wasn't), so I think the mods should move it to there.

Written By: FaultyDog on 10/12/05 at 4:39 pm

I was thinking the same thing, since it deals with multiple time periods. After all, not all of us were born before the 1970's (I certainly wasn't), so I think the mods should move it to there.

This is what puzzles me...Why would YOU want it to be in the PPP, since you're a guest (and guests can't post in PPP)?  ???
Or are you considering a membership...?  :-\\ If so, you're welcome.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/12/05 at 5:57 pm

(Set the wayback machine Sherman)

"C'mon a My House" by Rosemary Clooney.

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/12/05 at 6:02 pm

I know some songs that were at #1 near the time I was born (it was an awesone, unparalleled time in music IMO - the 70's were giving way to the 80's, but it was still transitional), but not on that exact day/week.

"Arthur's Theme" from Christopher Cross hit in August, if I'm recalling right. "Waiting for a Girl Like You" from Foreigner hit towars the end of the year. (I was born Sep. 3rd, 1981 for the record)

P.S. It's funny, I can think of a gajillion hits from that time period, but thinking of a #1 hit in a given week is harder than I thought, no matter how much you like the era. ;D

Written By: Paul on 10/12/05 at 6:19 pm

Class stuff...

Featuring that well-known instrument of modern music...the harpsichord...!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/12/05 at 6:36 pm

(Set the wayback machine Sherman)

I'm sure many here don't know who Sherman or the Wayback Machine is. What do you think Mr. Peabody?  ;) :D

Cat

Written By: whistledog on 10/12/05 at 9:07 pm

I know some songs that were at #1 near the time I was born (it was an awesone, unparalleled time in music IMO - the 70's were giving way to the 80's, but it was still transitional), but not on that exact day/week.

"Arthur's Theme" from Christopher Cross hit in August, if I'm recalling right. "Waiting for a Girl Like You" from Foreigner hit towars the end of the year. (I was born Sep. 3rd, 1981 for the record)

P.S. It's funny, I can think of a gajillion hits from that time period, but thinking of a #1 hit in a given week is harder than I thought, no matter how much you like the era. ;D

On September 3rd, 1981, Private Eyes by Hall and Oates was #1.  It peaked at #1 on August 29 and was eventually replaced at the top by Olivia Newton-John's Physical on October 3rd :)

Here's an added bonus of all the songs that peaked in the U.S. charts the week you were born:

Aretha Franklin & George Benson - Love All The Hurt Away
Atlanta Rhythm Section - Alien
Dan Fogelberg - Hard To Say
Daryl Hall & John Oates - Private Eyes
Go-Go's - Our Lips Are Sealed

Written By: hot_wax on 10/12/05 at 10:04 pm

This is what puzzles me...Why would YOU want it to be in the PPP, since you're a guest (and guests can't post in PPP)?   ???
Or are you considering a membership...?  :-\\ If so, you're welcome.

I knew the question would overlap the decades, that's why I kept it short and to the point, it's a avenue everyone can stroll down and have a little fun with and we can get to know alittle bit about the good people who we chat with...that's all!

Hot Wax...I'm not guest, actually I think of myself sometimes as a relative that's over stayed his welcome!

Written By: FaultyDog on 10/13/05 at 12:03 am

I knew the question would overlap the decades, that's why I kept it short and to the point, it's a avenue everyone can stroll down and have a little fun with and we can get to know alittle bit about the good people who we chat with...that's all!

It doesn't matter much to me in which section it is - I'll find it anyway since it will be showing up on Show new replies to your posts.

Hot Wax...I'm not guest, actually I think of myself sometimes as a relative that's over stayed his welcome!

I know you're not a guest, but I wasn't quoting you there - some guest called A.Person showed up and I found it awkward he/she would want this topic to be in PPP (considering the fact a guest can't post there).

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/13/05 at 1:59 am

Well, you weren't asking me, I know...and there was no official chart in The Netherlands in those days...but according to my information, the number one single in September 1957 would have been Ik Sta Op Wacht by either Joop de Knegt or Hans Brandel. I can't blame you for not knowing the song or the artist(s).
You are right, I have never heard of them, But I have most definitely heard of Mouth and MacNeal.

Written By: gemini on 10/13/05 at 10:41 am

Runaway by Del Shannon  :)

Written By: Sammy Reed on 10/13/05 at 12:17 pm

I found out that when I was born, the #1 song was "Aquarius".

And let me tell ya, buddies, it's all been downhill for me since then.  :P

Written By: Mr. Guest on 10/13/05 at 1:05 pm

It doesn't matter much to me in which section it is - I'll find it anyway since it will be showing up on Show new replies to your posts.

I know you're not a guest, but I wasn't quoting you there - some guest called A.Person showed up and I found it awkward he/she would want this topic to be in PPP (considering the fact a guest can't post there).

Probably because they feel it would be misleading to find something that DOESN'T relate to pre-1970 stuff in a forum that's supposed to have it. something like that.

Written By: STAR70 on 10/13/05 at 6:57 pm

(They Long To Be) Close To You ...The Carpenters

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/14/05 at 5:57 am

On September 3rd, 1981, Private Eyes by Hall and Oates was #1.  It peaked at #1 on August 29 and was eventually replaced at the top by Olivia Newton-John's Physical on October 3rd :)

Rock on - that's one of my favorite songs too! What better to represent me coming into the world, lol. :)

A little off note, but they sure cranked out albums fast 'cause I know "Kiss On My List" (another fave by them -- off the Voices album) was a hit in 1981. That means the Private Eyes album came out that same year. That's kinda like the speed of the Beatles. 8)

Here's an added bonus of all the songs that peaked in the U.S. charts the week you were born:

Aretha Franklin & George Benson - Love All The Hurt Away
Atlanta Rhythm Section - Alien
Dan Fogelberg - Hard To Say
Daryl Hall & John Oates - Private Eyes
Go-Go's - Our Lips Are Sealed

Oddly, the only one of those I love is "Our Lips are Sealed" but they're all good. It sure shows the crossing of the 70's and 80's styles with each other (I'd say it was just about at its halfway point when I showed up).

Written By: belladonna on 10/16/05 at 7:04 am

Could only find the info for the US (and damn does this make me feel old)

Venus by Frankie Avalon

Written By: hot_wax on 10/17/05 at 8:30 pm

Could only find the info for the US (and damn does this make me feel old)

Venus by Frankie Avalon

It was a great song to be number #1 on your bithday, and I'll bet dollars to doughnuts your father sang it to you when he first held you!

PS...If you think it makes you feel old, I remember it first when it hit the airwares!

Hot Wax

Written By: loki 13 on 10/20/05 at 5:49 pm

On April 13 1962:

Johnny angel.....Shelley Fabares/U.S. #1

Wonderful Land....The Shadows/U.K. #1

Written By: hot_wax on 10/20/05 at 11:15 pm

I've been to Google and I've been searching for a site that has this information and I've had no luck as of yet. I'm not sure what song was number #1 on my birthday, I got it narrowed down to a couple of songs from either Frank Sinatra, Jo Staford, or a Judy Garland broadway hit song I'm won't say until I 100% sure. I was born before Rock N' Roll was invented and think there 1 or 2 radio stations in the NYC area when I was born and I don't know if they ranked songs then, I'll find out sooner or later...the search goes on!

While searching around, I didn't find September 1957 yet, but "Wake up little Susie" by the Everly Brothers was #1 on this date 10/20 in 1957...

HW

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/21/05 at 2:33 am

I've been to Google and I've been searching for a site that has this information and I've had no luck as of yet. I'm not sure what song was number #1 on my birthday, I got it narrowed down to a couple of songs from either Frank Sinatra, Jo Staford, or a Judy Garland broadway hit song I'm won't say until I 100% sure. I was born before Rock N' Roll was invented and think there 1 or 2 radio stations in the NYC area when I was born and I don't know if they ranked songs then, I'll find out sooner or later...the search goes on!

While searching around, I didn't find September 1957 yet, but "Wake up little Susie" by the Everly Brothers was #1 on this date 10/20 in 1957...

HW
Thank you for searching for me, I am even visiting bookshops looking for books on the Billboard Charts, I already have books on the UK Charts and I have an empty space on my shelf..

Written By: retrolady on 10/21/05 at 11:10 am

something's in the air
Thunderclap Newman

Written By: belladonna on 10/30/05 at 5:09 am

It was a great song to be number #1 on your bithday, and I'll bet dollars to doughnuts your father sang it to you when he first held you!

PS...If you think it makes you feel old, I remember it first when it hit the airwares!

Hot Wax

/quote]You're right, it was a great song.  As for the bet, I can't ask him but you'd probably lose.  It's a lovely sentiment, though, so thanks!
Now, as for the age thing, I truly believe in the old adage that you're only as old as you feel.  My brothers and I were just discussing this last night......in his head, the oldest one says he still seems like he's in his early twenties, the other brother and I agree that we're still somewhere in our teens.  When we're together we sometimes still act that age ;)

Written By: Hot Wax on 10/30/05 at 9:44 pm

Hot Wax

/quote]You're right, it was a great song.  As for the bet, I can't ask him but you'd probably lose.  It's a lovely sentiment, though, so thanks!
Now, as for the age thing, I truly believe in the old adage that you're only as old as you feel.  My brothers and I were just discussing this last night......in his head, the oldest one says he still seems like he's in his early twenties, the other brother and I agree that we're still somewhere in our teens.  When we're together we sometimes still act that age ;)

Belladonna, I like you. I swear I don't think I'm any older then 18 years old, look we're in a chat room talking about Rock and Roll at our age! I went to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame a couple of weeks ago and I want to go to Nashville to see Elvis's Graceland now at this time of my life! what's wrong with this picture? I really don't care what people think, I still just do what I want to without remorse, that's how teenagers think and that's how I always think. The body gets old but you're as old as you think you are...long live the 18 year old mind who just became a grandfather and when my grandbaby is old enough she will be introduced to Rock and Roll by her grandfather from the beginings. Kids keep you young in mind and the heart, I'll guess never grow up!

It's good to know you and the many others like us, if they're in this chat room...they are!

Hot Wax  

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 10/31/05 at 7:14 pm

US #1: "I Think I Love You" - The Partridge Family  :P
UK #1: "I Hear You Knocking"- Dave Edmunds.

Written By: hot_wax on 11/03/05 at 10:06 pm

US #1: "I Think I Love You" - The Partridge Family   :P
UK #1: "I Hear You Knocking"- Dave Edmunds.

Hi Al-b, I not familiar Dave Edmunds version of "I hear you knocking" was it a remake of Little Richards or was it, I think Fats Domino too who made a song with the same title but different lyrics? Little Richards song was the wildest song ever made up to that time in the 50's it was and still is a great song. 

HW

Written By: mandamoo on 11/05/05 at 6:58 am

For the 23rd October 1964;

Aus.  #1  She's A Mod - Ray Columbus and the Invaders

U.K.  #1  (There's) Always Something There To Remind Me - Sandie Shaw

U.S.  #1  Do Wah Diddy Diddy - Manfred Mann

Dutch #1  Pretty Woman - Roy Orbison

Written By: FaultyDog on 11/05/05 at 7:14 am

For the 23rd October 1964;

Aus.  #1  She's A Mod - Ray Columbus and the Invaders

U.K.  #1  (There's) Always Something There To Remind Me - Sandie Shaw

U.S.  #1   Do Wah Diddy Diddy - Manfred Mann

Dutch #1: Pretty woman - Roy Orbison

Written By: mandamoo on 11/05/05 at 7:20 am

Dutch #1: Pretty woman - Roy Orbison

Thank you Henk !  I have modified my post to incorporate it  :D

Written By: belladonna on 11/06/05 at 6:24 am

Belladonna, I like you. I swear I don't think I'm any older then 18 years old, look we're in a chat room talking about Rock and Roll at our age! I went to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame a couple of weeks ago and I want to go to Nashville to see Elvis's Graceland now at this time of my life! what's wrong with this picture? I really don't care what people think, I still just do what I want to without remorse, that's how teenagers think and that's how I always think. The body gets old but you're as old as you think you are...long live the 18 year old mind who just became a grandfather and when my grandbaby is old enough she will be introduced to Rock and Roll by her grandfather from the beginings. Kids keep you young in mind and the heart, I'll guess never grow up!

It's good to know you and the many others like us, if they're in this chat room...they are!

Hot Wax  

You know it's kind of a shame,  I have an uncle that lives in Memphis so I've been there lots of times but not once have I even driven by the gates of Graceland.
As for still feeling like a teenager...I think my siblings and I get it honestly, my mom always acted like a big kid (still does) so I think we inherited that gene from her.  I say keep on thinking like Peter Pan cause who wants to act like a miserable old fart !!?

Written By: hot_wax on 11/06/05 at 8:30 pm

You know it's kind of a shame,  I have an uncle that lives in Memphis so I've been there lots of times but not once have I even driven by the gates of Graceland.
As for still feeling like a teenager...I think my siblings and I get it honestly, my mom always acted like a big kid (still does) so I think we inherited that gene from her.  I say keep on thinking like Peter Pan cause who wants to act like a miserable old fart !!?

Yes! Memphis not Nashville, it's ironic that I'm telling you that I think I'm 18 and a lapse in memory keeps my age in perspective...oh! I hope those brain farts won't make me act old and miserable...Ha! Ha! Ha!

Check for new replies or respond here...