inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Did anyone else here see the Elvis' 1968 'comeback' special on 12/3/1968?

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 10/22/05 at 4:04 am

Am I the only one here who saw the Elvis Presley 'comeback' special(One Night with You) when it was ORIGINALLY broadcast on December 3, 1968?
I did....and it's one of my best childhood memories, getting to see the original broadcast...The cable was not yet installed in our trailer park(please don't laugh, a trailer was all my Mom could afford to live in at the time),so Mom took me to my sister's place(which DID have cable)where I watched it with her and my brother-in-law...

I love that black leather outfit that Elvis wore...way cool! And I remember he and his sidemen were on this small stage, surrounded by all those young women...Yes, he still had the charisma to get all the pretty gals all 'hot and bothered'...

I was just eight years old when I saw the NBC special..but that was when I found out just how big of a deal Elvis was..and still is to his fans.

Subject: Re: Did anyone else here see the Elvis' 1968 'comeback' special on 12/3/1968?

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 10/23/05 at 1:47 am

Unfortunately I was only 2 months old so had yet to discover the lust that was Mr Presley. But the 68 Black Leather concert - as I named it - has pride of place in my video collection.

I saw a doco this year that showed some of the outtakes from the gig supposedly never before seen. Even when he was stuffing up the lyrics - he still sung beautifully - and cheekily to those lucky ladies.

Subject: Re: Did anyone else here see the Elvis' 1968 'comeback' special on 12/3/1968?

Written By: micah on 10/24/05 at 5:49 pm

I remember that special real well. I had just turned 16 when it came on. I never thought to much of Elvis or his music until that night. His showmanship and particularly the song "If I Can Dream" turned me into a big fan. That show was a big event at my house since my parents had been big fans since the mid-50's and really looked forwards to seeing it.

Written By: Lady Beard on 10/27/05 at 8:41 pm

He's going to come back again. He's in hiding, he is.  :)
Just like Paul McCartney is dead.

Written By: hot_wax on 10/27/05 at 11:10 pm

Am I the only one here who saw the Elvis Presley 'comeback' special(One Night with You) when it was ORIGINALLY broadcast on December 3, 1968?
I did....and it's one of my best childhood memories, getting to see the original broadcast...The cable was not yet installed in our trailer park(please don't laugh, a trailer was all my Mom could afford to live in at the time),so Mom took me to my sister's place(which DID have cable)where I watched it with her and my brother-in-law...

I love that black leather outfit that Elvis wore...way cool! And I remember he and his sidemen were on this small stage, surrounded by all those young women...Yes, he still had the charisma to get all the pretty gals all 'hot and bothered'...

I was just eight years old when I saw the NBC special..but that was when I found out just how big of a deal Elvis was..and still is to his fans.

No Tony I saw that show, I looked for a previous posting on that "Elvis Come Back Show" became part of the topic that I commented and I wanted you to read it, but I couldn't find it, the moderator must have deleted some old topics and that was one of them.

In short, Early Elvis was real cool and the King of Rock and Roll and I was one of his biggest fans. He a mentor in my life style that exsists today, Hey! I'm 58 and writing you in a chat site dealing in Rock and Roll because of Elvis...I'd say he was the infleunce. He was cool up to 1959, then he went into the Army, but after he was discharged in 61' he lost it, Early Elvis died and the Late Elvis took his place. Late Elvis did stupid plot movies month after month, his songs were hard to listen to, 90% all floped, he lost his grass root fan base to bad advice and kept making those dumb movies, he became a real loser blinded by an illusion that he thought he was an actor...he stunk as an actor and his songs stunk too. He was de-throned as the King and took a back seat to the Beatles fame in the US for the better part of the 60's...Then in 1968 he realized that he had to be Early Elvis again and get back his fans that got him threre in the first place and this show would put him back where he belonged as the "King of Rock and Roll" he dressed in black leather like in 56' sang his old songs, I think the Jordanaires were there too as his back ground group, I'm not sure, but he was cool and he became King again after that 1 show...He's back!

So what did he do with his new found fame? He gets bad advice again sells out his fan base again and he goe's to Las Vegas and blows his cool image again and becomes a bigger loser than ever, he dresses like a man from outer space and does dog and pony shows on stage for his new found audience. His death was no surprise to me in 77' because he died in 1961 but forgot to lay down.

Yes I saw that show and became a fan again and felt betrayed again...I'm bitter about the situations with the Late Elvis, but the Early Elvis will always live on with me, he never died he's the one that still lives today...long live the King!

I have plans to visit Memphis and Graceland soon maybe one day next week, I'll keep in touch, maybe I'll come back less bitter on the Late Elvis.

Hot Wax

Written By: alyceclover on 11/17/05 at 7:16 am

unfortunately, I probably did. Came to appreciate the man's talent in later years, liked a few of his hits, but otherwise never saw why other's idolized him (and still do), good-looking? gag me with a spoon

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 11/17/05 at 9:33 am

unfortunately, I probably did. Came to appreciate the man's talent in later years, liked a few of his hits, but otherwise never saw why other's idolized him (and still do), good-looking? gag me with a spoon
During his heyday in the 1950's, Elvis was good-looking. What people need to understand is that people like Elvis looked and dressed differently...stuff like slicked-back hair with Vitalis was what was 'cool' back then.

Written By: alyceclover on 11/18/05 at 10:21 pm

During his heyday in the 1950's, Elvis was good-looking. What people need to understand is that people like Elvis looked and dressed differently...stuff like slicked-back hair with Vitalis was what was 'cool' back then.
In 1956 Elvis made his first appearance on national TV...in that era better looking (to me) pop artists: Frank Sinatra, Ricky Nelson, Frankie Lymon, Johnny Mathis, Nat King Cole, Sal Mineo, Phil (or was it Don) Everly, Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens appealing 'cause of the intensity of his feelings for Donna, Frankie Avalon, Sam Cooke!!!....to name a few...so it wasn't his slicked back hair & style...certainly could swoon for James Dean back then... :)

Check for new replies or respond here...