inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Favorite Classic Commercial

Written By: star500 on 11/15/05 at 2:59 pm

Mine is the Crying Indian PSA....sends a powerful message and makes you think.

Subject: Re: Favorite Classic Commercial

Written By: Southern Image on 11/15/05 at 3:24 pm

Alka Seltzer .

The Indian crying was very powerful during that time.

Written By: woops on 11/16/05 at 2:22 am

"How many Licks does it takes to get to the center of a tootsie pop?"

Other: Tootsie pop

I also like the ads for Trix

Written By: oneno on 11/16/05 at 12:58 pm

Tis getting to be the season for the Norelco (Noelco) shaver riding santa famous for his Rudolph spots. ;)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/16/05 at 1:22 pm

I like the crying Indian commercial.

Written By: alyceclover on 11/17/05 at 6:24 am

I only vaguely remember the cryin' Indian ad, but probably liked it....it's funny this was posted I was just thinking about commercial tag lines...."If you look good you feel good, if you feel good you do good" is one that I learned from, but never remember the product, it might be Alka Seltzer "anyone can make chicken soup for a crowd..." (while lady is throwing chicken after chicken in a huge pot...) more likely, Lipton or Campbells. Had also been trying to remember the line from the Alka Seltzer series the new husband with a wife that couldn't cook "I never saw a meat ball that big" or was it "now that's a spicy meatball"?

I hated those Palmolive ads with Madge, but darn if it wasn't true....had 'contact excema' real bad and that's the only dish detergent I could use & my nails grew. Ivory soap the "99 3/4 pure", "so pure it floats", for a kid floating soap is fun, but that's what got me the rash (soap/dish detergent/laundry detergent that Mom used  :) )

I remember liking Bucky Beaver for Ipana toothpaste.

Written By: star500 on 11/17/05 at 1:35 pm

I only vaguely remember the cryin' Indian ad, but probably liked it....

Here is a link to the PSA if you wanted to watch it: http://www.retrojunk.com/details_commercial/499/

Written By: Skippy on 11/17/05 at 4:31 pm

I would've voted for the Indian pollution PSA, but it first aired on Earth Day 1971. I'm going with other: Mr Whipple's "Please don't squeeze the Charmin!" and the Mr. Bubble commercials.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/18/05 at 4:57 pm

Meow Mix and the Palmolive lady

Written By: Tia on 11/18/05 at 5:10 pm

oo! the crying Indian! Anybody remember zips? They were sneakers in the 70s. they had this commercial showing this kid wearing zips and jumping over a tall bush and I totally bought it, thought if I got zips I'd be able to jump over incredibly high things like steve Austin. Fell for that one hook line and sinker! Honorable mentions too for "you sank my battleship!" and operation, "it takes a verrrryyy steady hand..."

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 11/20/05 at 6:15 am

The anti-pollution ad with Iron Eyes Cody(that's the native American's name) and Comet Cleanser with Josephine the plumber

Written By: TheRemf on 11/20/05 at 9:45 am

I liked the Hamm's Beer commercial with the Hamm's Bear.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 11/20/05 at 11:56 am

I know they are 80's era, but the 'I want my MTV' ads were cool!

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 11/20/05 at 12:05 pm

Reeses Peanut Butter Cups "You got your peanut butter on my chocolate! You got your chocolate in my peanut butter!"

Written By: Tia on 11/20/05 at 1:09 pm

Reeses Peanut Butter Cups "You got your peanut butter on my chocolate! You got your chocolate in my peanut butter!"

oh yeah! that's a classic!

Written By: Carl on 11/21/05 at 10:45 am

Do you remember this one?

WABC radio commercial, sexy model, the had a close up of her mouth lip syncing to all of the stations personalities. At the end the announcer says'You have a great mouth!' I've been looking for vid caps of this but no luck. It was done in a few different versions, but it was a favorite of mine.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/21/05 at 10:50 am

Benson & Hedges Cigarettes from the early seventies featuring Peter Sellers and Spike Milligan

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 11/24/05 at 12:14 pm

Anyone here remember the IBM Personal Computer "Charlie Chaplin" ads?

And another ad I liked was the ad with the guy passing out office supplies to the tune of 'Rubberband Man'..I forgot which office supplies store the ad was for though...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/24/05 at 1:20 pm

Get Mikey to eat it.

I also like:

My bologna has a first name. It's O-S-C-A-R.  My bologna has a second name. It's M-A-Y-E-R.
Oh, I love to eat it every day and if you ask me "why?" I'll say....
'Cause Oscar Mayer has a way with B-O-L-O-G-N-A.

(How's that?  :D ;D ;D)

Cat

Written By: Skippy on 11/24/05 at 4:40 pm

Hey Cat, pretty good. Too bad your not a kid, then you could try out for the next Oscar Mayer commercial.  ;D :D

Even more rare:
Hot dogs...Armour hot hot dogs,
What kind of kids eat Armour hot dogs?,
Fat kids, skinny kids, kids who climb on rocks,
Tough kids, sissy kids,
Even kids with chiken pox love hot dogs,
Armour hot dogs,
The dog kids love...to...bite.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/24/05 at 6:16 pm

Hey Cat, pretty good. Too bad your not a kid, then you could try out for the next Oscar Mayer commercial.  ;D :D

Even more rare:
Hot dogs...Armour hot hot dogs,
What kind of kids eat Armour hot dogs?,
Fat kids, skinny kids, kids who climb on rocks,
Tough kids, sissy kids,
Even kids with chiken pox love hot dogs,
Armour hot dogs,
The dog kids love...to...bite.

Oh I wish I were an Oscar Mayer weiner. That is what I truly love to be. 'Cause if I were an Oscar Mayer weiner, then everyone would be in love with me.

;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: alyceclover on 11/24/05 at 7:16 pm

Here is a link to the PSA if you wanted to watch it: http://www.retrojunk.com/details_commercial/499/

thanks
8)

Written By: hot_wax on 11/24/05 at 8:18 pm

Wolley Segap, does anyone remember that advertisement? In the 60's Wolley Segap was on every channel (all 6 of them) every other commercial non-stop. It's still in my brain today and use his name when the situation arrises...Does any one remember Wolley Segap? HINT- a couple of walking fingers finally kicked his butt off the air.

I'll be back.

Written By: hot_wax on 11/24/05 at 9:10 pm

Meow Mix and the Palmolive lady

Hi Tanya, it's been a while...You said yhe Meow Mix ads, do you remember the Gravy Train commercail when a little boy and his younger sister and a big dog looking impatiently at them while the boy was digging into this gigantic bag of Gravy Train and the his sister ask's him " What'ja do'in?" he replys "feeding Alexander" she asks "What'ja feedin' him" he replys "New Gravy Train"  and it fades to out to pitchman. What was catchy on the ad was the rhythm of their question and answers...it sounded as if they where singing it to rhythm of the song "Rockin Robin". It was ear catching and the melody of the few words they spoke was like one of those songs that stick in your head for a week, but this melodic chant between these two kids is still in my memory bank today, if people are talking in general and say something that has that same rhythm to it as "Rockin Robin" in their conversation, immediatly those 2 kids lines run through my head in the song of "Rockin' Robin"..."What'ja doin'?, feeding Alexander, What'ja feedin'him?, new gravy train...bomp bomp. The writer of that commercail was a Genius and should have been shot for it! it's been in my head all these years!

Hot Wax

Written By: hot_wax on 11/24/05 at 9:42 pm

Benson & Hedges Cigarettes from the early seventies featuring Peter Sellers and Spike Milligan

Yes, that one and the other million cigarette ads that ruled the TV airways from the 50's to the 70's. Coyboy's smoking Marlboros to Penguin's smoking Kools. LSMFT do you know what that means? it sold cigarettes, Lucky Strikes cigarettes. People bought them for 25 cents a pack and made up meanings for LSMFT printed on the pack, "Lose Suspenders Means Falling Trousers" or "Lose Straps Means Falling Tits" people came up with many others...It means Lucky Strikes Means Fine Tobacco, but it sold millions of packs of Lucky Strikes just for that gimmick, I think LSMFT is still on the packs today only that they cost
$6.00 a pack today.

Outlawing cigarette commerials is the best thing that Nixon did as President, do you miss them?

Hot Wax

Written By: Tia on 11/25/05 at 9:58 am

i bet it woulda been a lot harder to quit with cigarette ads all over the place. funny it was nixon who did that. you wouldn'ta thought. seems more carter's style, tell ya the truth. anyway, yeah, i'm all for the cigarette ban. it's funny watching movies from the 70s, everybody's constantly SMOKING. it's a wonder anyone survived.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 11/30/05 at 12:41 pm

Hai Karate aftershave. "What's that aftershave you're wearing"

And Mennen Skin Bracer, man slaps himself, "Thanks! I needed that"

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/30/05 at 12:44 pm

"All my men wear English Leather, or they wear nothing at all."  I still want to see those men wear nothing at all.  ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: zotsfreak on 11/30/05 at 2:29 pm

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/30/05 at 6:14 pm

Written By: Skippy on 11/30/05 at 6:22 pm

Remember......Native: "Hey, how about a Hawaiian punch".......Tourist: "Sure"....Native: Punches tourist.  ;D ;D ;D  Oh, the violence.  ::)

Written By: hot_wax on 11/30/05 at 8:48 pm

Wally Segap, does anyone remember that advertisement? In the 60's Wally Segap was on every channel (all 6 of them) every other commercial non-stop. It's still in my brain today and use his name when the situation arrises...Does any one remember Wally Segap? HINT- a couple of walking fingers finally kicked his butt off the air.

I'll be back.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 11/30/05 at 9:16 pm

The Bell Telephone system's "It's Fun to Phone" and "Reach Out and Touch Someone"

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 11/30/05 at 9:18 pm

How about the early Sprint commercial with the song "Don't Hang Up"?

Written By: woops on 12/01/05 at 2:45 am

I also like the Trix commericals

Strange that Trix isn't for kids, but the Quick Rabbit is allowed to drink the chocolate milk...

Written By: zotsfreak on 12/01/05 at 9:14 am

I had forgotten that one. I'm not too sure if I should thank you for reminding me or not.  :-\\    ;D

Cat

Why not? I

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/01/05 at 11:31 am

Why not? I

Written By: oneno on 12/02/05 at 8:25 am

http://www.roadode.com/xmas_1.shtml this is an excellent resource for cool commercials especialy old christmas commercials and it does have my favorite norelco ridin santa!  ::)

Written By: star500 on 12/02/05 at 6:47 pm

http://www.roadode.com/xmas_1.shtml this is an excellent resource for cool commercials especialy old christmas commercials and it does have my favorite norelco ridin santa!  ::)

OMG, thank you for the link....not only did I see some old commercials (which was great, btw) but I also saw some really rare Carpenters videos and a video of Ricky Nelson singing the Christmas song. I had never actually seen Ricky Nelson sing and I could not get over how cute he was, hehehehe :) I know all the ladies on this board know what I mean ;) I also saw the Coca-Cola Christmas hilltop commercial which was nice.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/06/05 at 7:55 pm

Anyone remember the Lemon-Up shampoo ad "Lemon-up and make peace with grease"

I also remember vaguely an ad for Vitalis that aired in the late 50's or early 60's

Written By: hot_wax on 12/06/05 at 8:07 pm

I also remember vaguely an ad for Vitalis that aired in the late 50's or early 60's

Vitalis..."a little dab will do ya' " and there was "Use Wild Root Cream Oil Chaaaarley"

Hot Wax

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/07/05 at 1:00 pm

I remember:

You are my lemon, my only lemon.
You make me happy when skies are grey.
You'll never know, dear, how much I love you.
So please don't take my lemon away.

I think that was used for Lemon-up. And yes, it did smell just like lemons.

Cat

Written By: hot_wax on 12/07/05 at 8:50 pm

Vitalis..."a little dab will do ya' " and there was "Use Wild Root Cream Oil Chaaaarley"

Hot Wax

CORRECTION....Brillcream was " A little dab will do ya" and later on in the 60's I think Vitallis used the catch phrase " The wet head is dead"

Hot Wax

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/09/05 at 9:35 pm

How about the 'Say Hi to Dodge(or Plymouth)Neon' ads? I liked the one where the corn starts popping in the field when the Neon passes by!

Why they even changed the Neon's 'smiley' front, I don't know..the newer Neons aren't as cool as the original ones! They even discontinued some of the original colors that Neons were available in!

Written By: Skippy on 12/09/05 at 9:56 pm

The old Chrysler adds where the cop walks up and says "You in a heap'a trouble boy." Or the Volkswagon commercial where the narrator asks "How does the man who drives the snowplow get to the snowplow?"

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/10/05 at 12:57 am

Were the "Dodge Boys" ads for Dodge cars national or just a local thing...they could have just been ads for Geisel Dodge which was a local dealership here in the 60's

I loved "Showdown,showdown, in Dodge City"....

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/10/05 at 1:01 am

Not technically ads..but ABC's color show opening with the peppy music,moving colored rings, and 'this is an ABC COLOR presentation!' and CBS where the letters spring up and the announcement that 'CBS presents this show in COLOR!' are just as cool as the Peacock.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/10/05 at 1:12 am

Candy coated popcorn, peanuts and a prize, that's what you get in Cracker Jack!

I think it's somewhat unusual that Boscov's department stores have a "Cracker Jack Days" promotion where they give out free boxes of the sweet stuff....

Written By: TheRemf on 12/10/05 at 10:11 am

Also Remembered:

"Let Hertz Put You In The Driver's Seat" - with the people floating into a convertible Ford.

"See The USA In Your Chevrolet"

"It's Invisible, Man" - Code 10 hair product

Speedee, the Alka-Seltzer kid

Written By: TheLurkerKing on 12/10/05 at 11:37 am

Obviously, hardly classics, but the first television commercial I can remember was Bucky Beaver for Ipana toothpaste. Maybe because the animation was done by some of the same animators who worked for Disney Studios.

And not so much the commercial, but the theme song still runs through my head, even after all these years. "Oh, here he comes. Run for your lives. It's the giant monster from outer space." For a pull-string toy called Horrible Hamilton, I believe.

Written By: zotsfreak on 12/12/05 at 11:38 am

Anyone remember the Samsonite luggage ad where the gorilla in a zoo beats the heck out of the Samsonite suitcase with no damage sustained?  I still see those hard shelled vinyl clad cases at flea markets too; a testament to their durability.
And the other monkey - featuring ad for Scope- "AAAAAAAHHHH!!  Jungle Breath!" the man exclaims as he looks in the bathroom mirror and sees a chimps reflection.

Written By: zotsfreak on 12/12/05 at 11:47 am

Who remembers the Sominex sleeping pill ad with the little genie type character on a flying carpet

Written By: saver on 12/12/05 at 6:58 pm

Some places post the words to famous memorable commercials but there were silly ones that were hard to understand and cannot find the words...Is there a site?

1)Cracker Jacks: What do you want when you gotta havbe something and it's gotta be sweet and it's gotta be a lot and you gotta have it now?...?????? unintelligible....chorus

20 Puffa Puffa rice commercial song...from the 60's

anyone else remember?

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/12/05 at 7:57 pm

There is a new version of Alka-Seltzer's 'I can't believe I ate the whole thing' commercial, I saw the newer one just now...

Written By: zotsfreak on 12/13/05 at 10:20 am

20 Puffa Puffa rice commercial song...from the 60's

anyone else remember?

YEP! I used to like Puffa Puffa Rice. Speaking about cereal, who remembers these:

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/20/05 at 2:40 pm

Obviously, hardly classics, but the first television commercial I can remember was Bucky Beaver for Ipana toothpaste. Maybe because the animation was done by some of the same animators who worked for Disney Studios.

And not so much the commercial, but the theme song still runs through my head, even after all these years. "Oh, here he comes. Run for your lives. It's the giant monster from outer space." For a pull-string toy called Horrible Hamilton, I believe.
"Brusha Brusha Brusha with the new Ipana"...I saw that ad when it was used in the movie 'Grease' when Rizzo and some of the Pink Ladies were in Rizzo's bedroom trying to give Sandy a make-over!

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/20/05 at 2:43 pm

'Two all beef patties special sauce lettuce cheese pickles onions on a sesame seed bun'..Mc Donalds Big Mac ad from the 1970's!

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/20/05 at 2:46 pm

Chuck Wagon dog food where the pooch folllows the chuck wagon into the kitchen...

and 'Aren't you glad you used Dial..don't you wish everybody did?'

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/20/05 at 2:48 pm

'Ajax Laundry Detergent, it's stronger than dirt' with the white knight on his horse.

Written By: hot_wax on 12/20/05 at 6:24 pm

When Tropicana Orange Juice was breaking into the New York market in the the early 60's, they had a pitchman promoting the idea that a "Glass of Tropicana Orange Juice in the morning is like being in Miami Beach" and he goes on to say "So drink Tropicana Orange Juice and come down to Miami, it's on me!" and one man in New York to him seriously and went down to Miami and charged all of his expenses to Tropicana Orange Juice Company. After a short legal dispute from Tropicana the Judge sided with the man and ordered Tropicana to pay for all his expenses under the "False Advertisement Law" saying Tropicana invited him down on them and so went...on them! Tropicana rewrote the script after that.

Hot Wax

Written By: hot_wax on 12/20/05 at 6:52 pm

"Good and Plenty...Good and Plenty..Good and Plenty.Good and Plenty...WOOO WOOO "
as the two cartoon kids shake their box of "Good and Plenty " candy to the rhythm of the locomotive train they were riding on. It was a standard promo ad for "Good and Plenty" back in the 50's and 60's, I think I even seen it aired in the 80's at one time, is it still being played today? I liked the white one's best.

Hot Wax

Written By: hot_wax on 12/20/05 at 11:06 pm

Truth in Advertising..."Carter's Little Liver Pills" had nothing to do with aiding your liver problems and was odered to Food and Drug Administration to drop the word "Liver" from the package and it's advertising.

Written By: hot_wax on 12/20/05 at 11:40 pm

Dinah Shore singing "See the USA in Your Chevrolet" slogan sold more cars for GM than any other commercial selling cars back in the 50's and even today's car Ad campaigns don't have the same staying power in their slogans like that "See the USA in Your Chevrolet" slogan, everyone was singing that slogan as if was a hit song back then making the Chevrolet first in the minds when buying a new car...

Written By: hot_wax on 12/20/05 at 11:59 pm

"How many licks does it take to finish a Tootie Roll Lollipop?" great gimmic to sell a product and it did by the billions. Kids and adults who never ate a Tootsie Roll Pop before bought Tootsie Roll Pops just to see how many licks it does take to finish it without biting into it to finish it. It made closet Tootsie Roll Pop junkies out of many of us today...right?

Buy a couple and count the licks before you bite into one and then try to stop buying them afterwards...I'm a junkie for the cherry and chocolate pops only the rest of the bag I throw away...and I think around 300 licks should do it. 

Written By: hot_wax on 12/21/05 at 12:44 am

When I was real little back in the early 50's, "Ovaltine" commercials had kids buying Ovaltine not for the nutritional value but for their "Secret Decoder Ring" that you had to have to decode a secret message given to you by the Hero or Heroine of the show. I remember my older brother would listen for the message from the "Little Orphan Annie" " Lone Ranger"" Boston Blackie"  and "Captain Midnight" shows. Numbers to letters were decoded to drink Olvaltine for one reason or other but always drink Ovaltine was the main message.

If you ever seen the "Christmas Story", when Ralphie hides in the bathroom to decode his secret message and is very disappointed after he decodes a message saying to "Drink your Ovaltine everyday" and he says it's only a dumb commercial and that's just what it was but sold millions of jars of Ovaltine...smart idea! 

Written By: hot_wax on 12/21/05 at 12:55 am

B...O...N...O...M...O spells Bonomo...OH! OH! OH! it's Bonomo...taaaffy. "just smack it and crack it" and share it with your friends. Does any one remember that commercial? does Bonomo taffy still exsist today?

Written By: hot_wax on 12/21/05 at 1:03 am

Ivory soap was 99 44/100 % pure...pure what? they never said what, but they did say "It was the only soap that floats" and that floating idea sold billions of bars of soap...smart! Do thay still sell Ivory soap bars? 

Written By: hot_wax on 12/21/05 at 5:23 pm

There is a new version of Alka-Seltzer's 'I can't believe I ate the whole thing' commercial, I saw the newer one just now...

I just saw the new one also. It had the Frank and Marie Barrone in character from the "Everybody Loves Ramon" show doing the bit...it's funny!

HW

Written By: hot_wax on 12/31/05 at 9:33 pm

Does anyone know when that "Energizer Bunny" started beating his drum? 

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/02/06 at 7:18 pm

Ivory soap was 99 44/100 % pure...pure what? they never said what, but they did say "It was the only soap that floats" and that floating idea sold billions of bars of soap...smart! Do thay still sell Ivory soap bars? 
Oh yes! Someone told me that Ivory soap is not all that great for your skin though.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/02/06 at 7:26 pm

Dinah Shore singing "See the USA in Your Chevrolet" slogan sold more cars for GM than any other commercial selling cars back in the 50's and even today's car Ad campaigns don't have the same staying power in their slogans like that "See the USA in Your Chevrolet" slogan, everyone was singing that slogan as if was a hit song back then making the Chevrolet first in the minds when buying a new car...

Do you remember the 90's era ads for the Dodge/Plymouth Neon..."Say Hi to Dodge Neon" is burned into my memory...same with "The following program is brought to you in living color on NBC!" Did the Peacock help sell color TV's..eventually, as the prices came down, people started buying them! And from what I've read about color television history, it was RCA's standard, now known as NTSC, that won out over CBS's proposed 'field sequential' color TV standard..It was make or break for RCA, they had a lot invested in their technology...http://www.novia.net/~ereitan/rca-nbc_firsts.html Sorry I went off on that little tech tangent...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/03/06 at 10:56 am

"Good and Plenty...Good and Plenty..Good and Plenty.Good and Plenty...WOOO WOOO "
as the two cartoon kids shake their box of "Good and Plenty " candy to the rhythm of the locomotive train they were riding on. It was a standard promo ad for "Good and Plenty" back in the 50's and 60's, I think I even seen it aired in the 80's at one time, is it still being played today? I liked the white one's best.

Hot Wax

Charlie says, "I love my Good and Plenty". Charlie says, "It really rings a bell."

"Iy yi yi yi. I am the Frito Bandito. I love Fritos corn chips, I love them I do. I get them, I get them, I get them from you."

"I'm Chiquita Banana and I'm here to say, eat a banana every day"

Cat

Written By: hot_wax on 01/08/06 at 11:13 pm

Charlie says, "I love my Good and Plenty". Charlie says, "It really rings a bell."

"Iy yi yi yi. I am the Frito Bandito. I love Fritos corn chips, I love them I do. I get them, I get them, I get them from you."

"I'm Chiquita Banana and I'm here to say, eat a banana every day"

Cat

Hi Cat, yes that part of that that Good and Plenty commercial, you know, I can still hear her voice in my head saying " Charlie Says" and the Chiquita Banana, I remember her commercial way back in the early 50's maybe one of the first commercials on TV. Chiquita Banana sexy dance and there is that melotic song "Chock Full of Nuts is that heavenly coffee, heavenly coffee...etc. that too was another pioneer in TV commercials.

Now you brought back some more memories..."Gillette Razor Blades" sponcerd the "Friday Night Fights" it open the show with their jingle "To look smart! and to feel smart too! choose the razor that is made for you..." and then those M&M candy characters that would dive into a pool of candy coating and jump out all candy coated with M&M on their chests ending it saying "M&M candies melt in your mouth and not in your hand", I didn't give them a chanch to melt in my mouth, I took thier 5 cent bag of M&M's and dumped all in my mouth in one shot and crunched them all down in less than a minute, no time to melt...and still do on occasions.

Aerosol cans were a new invention back then and "Rise" shaving cream had a TV commercial demonstration of it by emptying a small can of shaving cream and it was amazing, we couldn't believe the pile of shaving cream that it produced, about 2 feet high and 2 feet wide and then droped the can onto the plie of cream showing how rich and thick it was and the can didn't sink into it, it just stayed there on top of the pile...that was a big deal back then.

Communism was our cold enemy and Senator McCarty would show this commercial of an Iron Curtain with barbed wire all it while scaring the crap out of us telling us that we will be behind this Iron Curtain if the Communism takes over our country and watch out for suspicious people and report any anti-American activities, I would have nightmares of that commercial when I first saw it, and turn the channel every time it went it was shown, he had everyone crazy with suspicion of their neighbors being Commies...bad commercial.

This wasn't a selling commercial, but there was advertisement for "The Letter" the Church would run this commercial about a letter that was to be open on a certain date predicting the future and the end of the world. It was a message given to, I think it was, Bernadette who saw the a vision of the Virgin Mary in 1917. I think it was to be opened May 1959 on the day of "the "Immaculate Conception" they would run this ad around every Christmas and Easter from what I can remember, from 55'/56' and 1959 then seemed like 100 years away but it scared us kids thinging that the world would end on that day and we would all die...well we're all still here! but it was scary for us kids then.

Cat, you made babble on to long, see ya'! HW   

Written By: GREEN67 on 01/09/06 at 2:20 am

8) Since I am Native American I guess you all know what I will pick..Iron Eyes Cody..I cried every time that came on...and.on a serious note, if you want to give to a legit charity, American Indians Childrens Hunger Fund...PLEASE at least look at the website...Indians were forced onto small reservations and things are still no better than they were 50 yrs ago!...most dont even have running water...the conditions are pitiful..

Written By: hot_wax on 01/09/06 at 10:01 pm

8) Since I am Native American I guess you all know what I will pick..Iron Eyes Cody..I cried every time that came on...and.on a serious note, if you want to give to a legit charity, American Indians Childrens Hunger Fund...PLEASE at least look at the website...Indians were forced onto small reservations and things are still no better than they were 50 yrs ago!...most dont even have running water...the conditions are pitiful..

Green67, I will look into this web site and help where I can...I'll get back to you.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/10/06 at 10:12 pm

Heinz Catsup "Anticipation"...anyone remember that one? or 'Janitor In A Drum"..or "What would you do..for a Klondike bar?"

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 01/11/06 at 1:01 pm

Of those listed, I like the 'crying Indian' one the best.

Written By: NozmoKing on 02/08/06 at 9:03 pm

RedRose Tea commercial with the swinging chimp orchestra. 

Maybe that was the 60s, either way, still my favorite.

NozmoKing

Written By: Tia on 02/08/06 at 9:22 pm

did i mention "the 70s dimension" totally has the indian PSA on it.

it's just as good as you remember!

it's also got a bunch of other stuff too, like "he never drinks my coffee at home" and "ring around the collar" and a buncha other ones you forgot.

no mikey likes it, that i can remember...

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/70s_dimension/

Written By: Cornfused on 02/08/06 at 9:32 pm

Ummm, thought this board was before the 70's? The crying Indian an many others listed here are post-1970.

Written By: Tia on 02/09/06 at 6:34 am

Ummm, thought this board was before the 70's? The crying Indian an many others listed here are post-1970.

this thread is experiencing "mission creep."

Check for new replies or respond here...