inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Who was your fave afternoon cartoon host in your area?

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 11/19/05 at 8:37 pm

In my area...WPHL channel 17(Philadelphia) had Wee Willie Webber's Colorful Cartoon Show...but the QUEEN of afternoon kids' TV in Philly was SALLY STARR(WFIL now WPVI 6 in Philly)...I loved her cowgirl costumes...and that she really knew how to relate to us kids.

Subject: Re: Who was your fave afternoon cartoon host in your area?

Written By: belladonna on 11/20/05 at 5:26 am

In Chicago it was Ray Rayner on WGN.  For a while he did both an afternoon show along with his long running morning show and played Oliver O. Oliver on Bozo's Circus.

Written By: TheRemf on 11/20/05 at 9:47 am

In the Kansas City media area there were two main ones - Torey Southwick (w/Ol' Gus, the puppet) and Whizzo the Clown.  Whizzo stands the test of time better.

Written By: mrgazpacho on 11/21/05 at 7:38 am

Not from the 70s, but in Australia, many would have fond memories of when Sophie Lee hosted the Bugs Bunny show:

http://www.maynard.com.au/S-Lee-Adelaide.jpg

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/21/05 at 11:56 am

I can't remember his name but in the Springfield, Mass area the show was called The Strummer Drummer. (Yes, he played guitar and drums).  I was supposed to be on the show one time but when my Brownie troop showed up, I guess there was a death in his family and they cancelled the show for that day (showed a repeat).  :\'( :\'(

Cat

Written By: Southern Image on 11/23/05 at 12:10 pm

We didn't have hosts. We just had cartoons  ;D

Written By: DJ Midas on 11/23/05 at 1:35 pm

In Chicago it was Ray Rayner on WGN.

Written By: whistledog on 11/23/05 at 1:44 pm

Here in Canada, it was a bunch of 'em:

Mr Dressup - His show ran from 1967 until his passing in 1996.  I went and saw him in 1983 on the Queens University Campus.  I still have the ticket stubbs.  LOL

The Friendly Giant - This show was beloved across Canada.  It ran on CBC from 1958-1985.  I used to love the opening flute music to the show.  Then the Giant would arrange little tiny chairs for his guests, then he would say "Look up.  Look waayyyyy up" :)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/23/05 at 9:37 pm

In my area...WPHL channel 17(Philadelphia) had Wee Willie Webber's Colorful Cartoon Show...but the QUEEN of afternoon kids' TV in Philly was SALLY STARR(WFIL now WPVI 6 in Philly)...I loved her cowgirl costumes...and that she really knew how to relate to us kids.

OMG!!!!! Okay, help me out. I forgot the Native American children's showcase host on channel 6. He's name was Chief something. I loved his show. But yes, I remember Sally Starr.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 11/24/05 at 11:45 am

OMG!!!!! Okay, help me out. I forgot the Native American children's showcase host on channel 6. He's name was Chief something. I loved his show. But yes, I remember Sally Starr.
Chief Halftown! He had talented kids perform on his show.

Do you also remember Pixanne and Gene London? I loved Gene London and his 'Golden Fleece'..also his ability to tell stories about Quigley Mansion and the Bottomless Pit!

Written By: whistledog on 11/27/05 at 2:08 am

Anyone who gets channels out of Watertown NY might remember this guy:  Danny Burgess

He had a show called 'The Danny Burgess Show' where he would interview different groups of Cub Scouts and other kids clubs, then he would cut to cartoons :)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/27/05 at 2:37 am

Do you also remember Pixanne and Gene London? I loved Gene London and his 'Golden Fleece'..also his ability to tell stories about Quigley Mansion and the Bottomless Pit!

OMG! Thank you! I do remember. I remember Chief Halftown more though. I adored him!!!!

Written By: Drachen on 11/27/05 at 8:12 am

I remember Wee Willie Webber, Sally Star and Gene London.  I've heard of Chief Halftown, but don't remember watching the show.

Anyone remember Captain Noah and his Magical Ark?  I used to have an authographed picture of the Captain and Mrs. Noah
and another one of Miss Elaine.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 11/27/05 at 7:30 pm

I remember Wee Willie Webber, Sally Star and Gene London.

Written By: Drachen on 11/27/05 at 7:58 pm

Yep, I remember Captain Noah...did you know the Phillie Phanatic's TV debut was on his show? And the Ark-tion News puppets,one was a walrus I think...

Wally the Walrus and Maurice the Mouse.  Didn't know about the Phillie Phanatic though.  Interesting.

Written By: oneno on 12/02/05 at 8:31 am

In the Quad Cities (Moline Illinois) we had an afternoon show from 3:30 to 4:30 (i think) called "Captain Ernie" from 1965 to around 1975 He was a part time news caster (Ernie Mimms)from the same channel it aired on WOC channel 6 from Davenport Iowa.It was shot on a stage in Davenport Iowa but it was made to look like "the dixie bell" an imaginary steam boat paddle wheel as we're right on the Mississippi river and have deep roots with the river. Before that it was "Grandpa Happy" that used the "Happy Whistler" as his theme song till Captain Ernie took over in or around 1965. Just a few years ago ,the channel that aired captain ernie sponsored a "cartoon cruise" with one of our local excursion paddel wheel boats. It had captain ernie, grandpa happy and all of the romper room ladies. They had cartoon booths set up for the smaller kids and had opportunities to talk to these one time icons and get autographs. My wife had her picture taken with Capn' Ernie wearing his captains cap. We were very fortunate to have gone because shortly after this cruise, Grandpa Happy and Miss Peggy from romper room passed away. I used to rush home to watch all of the popeye and merry melodies cartoons from the 40's and 50's as wella strying to recognize any of the many cub scouts, boy scouts, brownies or special birthday attendees.

Written By: Michele Butler on 12/13/05 at 5:04 pm

Hey--

I remember Miss Peggy!  Do you have any video tapes or DVD's of the Romper Room Show?  I've been looking for a tape with Miss Peggy.  Do you know of anyone who would?  I'm willing to pay $.

Thanks,

Michele

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/13/05 at 9:48 pm

Capn' Mitch/Cap'n Delta, same guy had a great kids show in the 60's.

Written By: GREEN67 on 12/16/05 at 11:03 pm

8)  Mine has to be Dick Williams..Host of MagicLand...on Saturdays he would host the show and they always had a live audience..from WMC-TV here in Memphis..I was on the show 3 times..two in Girl scouts uniform!..LOL...He was in the Guinness book of World Records for the longest running TV Magic Show..." MagicLand "...Ran from 1966-1989..Cartoons always came after..Great show!!!

Written By: alyceclover on 12/17/05 at 12:57 am

um, what's a cartoon host? is that like Shari Williams & Lambchops or Soupy Sales?

Don't think they had them....tho' we watched Philly tv stations, so guess I should know, huh?
8)

Written By: Skippy on 12/17/05 at 3:03 am

um, what's a cartoon host? is that like Shari Williams & Lambchops or Soupy Sales?

Don't think they had them....tho' we watched Philly tv stations, so guess I should know, huh?
8)

You come home from school, and flip on the TV to watch toons which are introduced by a host. That's all they do, mostly, introduce toons. Some would have puppets, play musical instruments, etc, but their main job was to say "Hey kiddies, here's another Huckleberry Hound cartoon."

Written By: rich on 01/25/06 at 7:35 pm

There is a small picture of Miss Peggy in a Shakey's Pizza ad at this website www.geocities.com/captainerniesshowboat

Hey--

I remember Miss Peggy!  Do you have any video tapes or DVD's of the Romper Room Show?  I've been looking for a tape with Miss Peggy.  Do you know of anyone who would?  I'm willing to pay $.

Thanks,

Michele

Written By: danootaandme on 02/01/06 at 7:09 am

8)

I loved Soupy Sales, with White Fang and Black Tooth.  We had Major Mudd here in the Boston area, it wasn't cartoons though
he hosted the The Three Stooges, and he was funnier than them.

Written By: Bob1370 on 06/22/06 at 8:18 am

Back in the late '50s/early '60s, every afternoon WROC-TV in Rochester, NY had a Popeye cartoon show, and the host was...Foster Brooks, a man who would later win national fame as a staple of TV variety shows and Vegas main rooms as a standup comic doing his decidedly adult "Lovable Lush" character. (He even had a platinum album of his routine in the early '70s.)
Foster was funny even then, with a lot of asides that Mom and Dad got and laughed at even when it went over their kids' heads (although a lot less of it went over our heads than you might think).  

Written By: holicman on 06/24/06 at 12:00 am

Not from the 70s, but in Australia, many would have fond memories of when Sophie Lee hosted the Bugs Bunny show:

http://www.maynard.com.au/S-Lee-Adelaide.jpg

I remember the Bugs Bunny show..........I preferred Kate Fischer though.

When sophie Lee released that song " I love Dogs" that just put me off her.

Written By: berger on 06/25/06 at 9:55 pm

In north central Illinois, We had "Captian Jinx with Salty Sam" out of Peoria, IL.
BJ and Dirty Dragon,(this was before Gigglesnort Hotel) for the life of me I can't remember what type of cartoons were played.

We had Ray Rayner's morning show. I had a huge stuffed Cuddly Duddly my Grampa gave me.
Also Garfield Goose & Friends, pretty sure that was a morning show too.

Check for new replies or respond here...