inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: DARK SHADOWS.. is there anyone else here who watched it?

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 11/24/05 at 11:56 am

Dark Shadows is the coolest daytime show, ever. IMO a soap opera that truly was groundbreaking and different. With a VAMPIRE as the leading character! I remember running home from school to watch it...

It's sad that there are no more soaps like Dark Shadows...
Why? Because of standards and practices(censors)? Religious groups who are 'offended' by certain things? Children's advocates who want to keep kids away from 'bad things'?

Or just nobody dares to be different?

Subject: Re: DARK SHADOWS.. is there anyone else here who watched it?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/24/05 at 12:00 pm

I LOVED Dark Shadows. Watched it all the time. I did manage to see a bit of it when they started showing it on Sci-Fi. Actually, Port Charles was going in the way of Dark Shadows with one of the main characters being a vampire. But Port Charles was cancelled.  :\'( I have a couple of episodes of DS on video that I bought a long time ago-just to get that nastagic thing going. I'm wondering if they will ever bring DS out on DVD. That would be cool.

Cat

Written By: Sammy Reed on 11/24/05 at 1:12 pm

I know MPI Video has the entire series at least on VHS as far as I know. There's a 200+ volume set that has all the episodes. For a long time, this was the only TV show that had every episode available on video. There have been a few more series available in their entirety on DVD's since then, and some that are still "getting there", but for at least a couple of years this was the only one I knew of!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/24/05 at 1:23 pm

I did a small search and apperently, DS IS on DVD. I'm going to have to really check it out.

Cat

Written By: w on 11/24/05 at 5:22 pm

Yeah, I watched it. Even got to see the walls fall down on the set while the actors continued doing their lines. I heard they were writing the shows as close as a day before taping, and they didn't have time to retape, so they aired it that way.  w.

Written By: saver on 11/26/05 at 8:49 pm

I loved the show at the time and got caught up in it as a teen..lately, have been getting the fan club letters anyone else?..

I never get to go to the reunions but have info as it comes out..there are even tours of the house used in the movies...still pretty popular..tho the cast is aging and some don't get out...

Maybe I loved it because it was horror WITHOUT over-doing the makeup..

Written By: zotsfreak on 11/30/05 at 11:35 am

Loved it!  I was young, but Barnabus Collins was an awesome character!

Written By: Sunflower on 11/30/05 at 3:25 pm

YES!  :) This is one of my favorite shows of ALL time.... Yes it was cheesy  :D but I loved it anyways. Been lucky to have had the opportunity to meet Jonathan Frid two times and all the main characters at conventions. Jonathan has since retired from conventions but most of the other stars make the annual convention every year. The DS stars are among the most gracious I have every met and the conventions don't cost an arm and a leg to attend. They are usually held in NY or California and alternate coasts every year.

Written By: zcrito on 12/02/05 at 6:02 am

I remember it and hated it. A Gothic Soap Opera.  >:(

What was that phrase one of the characters used all the time -- "your days are numbered" or something like that. My sister used to watch it religiously everyday (was it everyday?). I once had a choice of walking a mile in the snow to some destination for some reason, and in January no less, or watching DS -- I chose a bitter cold walk in the snow.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059978/

Written By: oneno on 12/02/05 at 8:10 am

I remeber our local tv station that aired dark shadows (WQAD, Moline Illinois) had Jonathan Fridd make an apearance and sign autographs and it was overwhelming with the turn out. He was about as popular as the rasslers from all-star wrestling at the time. I loved the show eerie and groundbreaking with horrible acting. Just the right mix for unforgetfull good memories.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/02/05 at 9:15 pm

Even the theme song was cool! DS took all the cool stuff from B Grade movies and put it in a daytime soap!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/03/05 at 12:06 pm

Even the theme song was cool! DS took all the cool stuff from B Grade movies and put it in a daytime soap!

The theme was very eerie.

Cat

Written By: de410 on 01/03/06 at 5:08 pm

Loved it every day after school.  Just bought the first season.  My husband and I watch it just about every night.  My 12 year old just rolls his eyes.  We like to watch it for the bloopers.  Once they were back in time and everyone was in period clothing from 100 years ago.  All of the sudden in the background, you see some guy in jeans and headphones (crew) walk through a hallway.  Hilarious!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/03/06 at 5:29 pm

Loved it every day after school.  Just bought the first season.  My husband and I watch it just about every night.  My 12 year old just rolls his eyes.  We like to watch it for the bloopers.  Once they were back in time and everyone was in period clothing from 100 years ago.  All of the sudden in the background, you see some guy in jeans and headphones (crew) walk through a hallway.  Hilarious!

I remember seeing someone's shadow in the background that wasn't supposed to be there. Yeah, it was fairly low budget but still great.

Cat

Written By: nally on 01/06/06 at 12:06 pm

I never watched it...but my parents are big fans of it. 8)

Written By: KKay on 01/06/06 at 12:26 pm

I really liked the show, but sometimes it really scared me. I was only little when it was on (if I remember correctly)
My sister was a fanatic!

Written By: spaceace on 01/24/06 at 12:47 pm

I've watched a few episodes. I can remember reading the books though.  Does anyone remember the Dark Shadows joke book called "Barnabas in a funny vein"?  Johnathan Frid's magnum opius was portraying Barnabas.  Although John Karan (sp?) who used to play on Cagney and Lacey did a wonderful job as Barnabas' servant Willie.

Written By: KKay on 01/24/06 at 1:17 pm

I really liked the show, but sometimes it really scared me. I was only little when it was on (if I remember correctly)
My sister was a fanatic!

WEll, my sister or my mom. Someone had it on all the time in my house.
I don't relally remember the show from my youth.  I watched when the reruns were shown recently and I dug it.
Iwish it were aired more often.

Written By: spaceace on 01/24/06 at 1:19 pm

I think it's still on the sci-fi channel, my friend still watches it every morning. :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/24/06 at 1:25 pm

I've watched a few episodes. I can remember reading the books though.  Does anyone remember the Dark Shadows joke book called "Barnabas in a funny vein"?  Johnathan Frid's magnum opius was portraying Barnabas.  Although John Karan (sp?) who used to play on Cagney and Lacey did a wonderful job as Barnabas' servant Willie.

I think I have that book-and I think I actually know where it is.  :o

Cat

Written By: spaceace on 01/24/06 at 1:31 pm

Those were great books, weren't they? 8)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/24/06 at 1:55 pm

Those were great books, weren't they? 8)

If we are thinking about the same book-it was just a bunch of vampire jokes. They were cute.

Cat

Written By: spaceace on 01/24/06 at 2:00 pm

Yes, same books! ;)

Written By: AH3RD on 02/18/06 at 8:02 am

I've watched/taped it numerous times on Sci-Fi. I even have The Dark Shadows Almanac.  8)

Written By: Mushroom on 02/18/06 at 11:40 am

I remember this show.  My mom loved it.  Of course, she was also a fan of the "B Horror" movies, like The Velvet Vampire.

And you can often tell if sombodies mom was a fan.  In 92, I met a guy named Quentin.  Of course, I mentioned the show, and sure enough, that is where his name came from.

And if anybody remembers, there was an attempt at a revival in 1991.  The entire series is available on DVD, for around $30.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101075/

Written By: spaceace on 02/21/06 at 9:01 am

They still have "Dark Shadow" reunions, for fans.  I hear Johnathan can still draw a crowd. :)

Written By: Sunflower on 02/27/06 at 8:15 pm

They still have "Dark Shadow" reunions, for fans.  I hear Johnathan can still draw a crowd. :)

The U.S. Dark Shadows Conventions are held every year and still draw quite a crowd with all age groups represented. The location rotates between LA, NY and Vegas. I've been going to these conventions for years and haven't seen Jonathan at a convention for over 20 years. He's not doing them in the US and now resides in England. I don't know if he's doing the conventions in England or not but word at the US conventions is that he doesn't do them anymore.

Written By: spaceace on 02/28/06 at 12:13 pm

Does Nancy Barlett still show up?  I think that was her name, she played Caroline Collins and Angelique.  What about Katheryn Leigh Scott, who played Maggie and Jossette?

Written By: Sunflower on 03/01/06 at 9:20 pm

Does Nancy Barlett still show up?  I think that was her name, she played Caroline Collins and Angelique.  What about Katheryn Leigh Scott, who played Maggie and Jossette?

Nancy and Katheryn do attend all the shows. Nancy has a cabaret act she performs. She has quite the voice. Lara Parker played Angelique Collins not Nancy. She attends the shows as well. Katheryn owns Pomegranate Press that publishes Dark Shadows books. All three ladies are class acts that have aged gracefully.

Written By: Zella on 03/05/06 at 1:25 am

I watched it for awhile, but then Now Explosion was put opposite it and Now Explosion won me over. It was MTV 10 years before MTV....

Written By: spaceace on 03/16/06 at 11:53 am

Thanks for the clearification and the info. :)

Written By: Sunflower on 03/17/06 at 6:03 pm

Thanks for the clearification and the info. :)

You're welcome!    8)

Written By: ralfy on 04/02/16 at 9:03 am

50th anniversary coming up....

Audio drama episodes:

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/dark-shadows-will-return

Festival info:

http://www.darkshadowsfestival.com/

Written By: nally on 04/02/16 at 3:58 pm

^ Hard to believe it's been that long since it premiered! :o

This past Halloween, I did decide to watch one or two episodes of it w/ my family.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 05/15/16 at 11:18 am

The Tim Burton version is ok.  There is a cameo of some original cast members.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/16/16 at 5:09 pm

Since I last posted in this thread (back in 2006) I have watched ALL the eps. I loved watching all the oops-people forgetting their lines, doors that won't open, etc. etc. I also loved all the antique furniture they had. I know, I know. I even named my kitty Josette. Yup-I'm a BIG fan.

I know Lara Parker writes a lot of Dark Shadows books. I have yet to read them but I want to. 

Cat

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 05/14/20 at 7:46 pm

Every episode is on the streaming app Tubi.😊

Check for new replies or respond here...