inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Does anyone here remember Captain Kangaroo?

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 11/24/05 at 1:27 pm

I grew up watching Captain Kangaroo! The cool thing about the show is that it was on network television(CBS)..and that it had characters like Mr. Green Jeans, Bunny Rabbit, and Mr. Moose..and cartoons like Tom Terriffic. Captain Kangaroo taught caring, sharing, good citizenship, and moral values while being very funny and entertaining. And the actor that was Captain Kangaroo, Bob Keeshan, was also involved in making sure there was quality television shows for kids.

I have to wonder if Captain Kangaroo inspired shows like Mister Rogers' Neighborhood and even Sesame Street...?

Subject: Re: Does anyone here remember Captain Kangaroo?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/24/05 at 1:40 pm

Of course I remember Captain Kangaroo. He used to live around here until his death just a few short years ago.  :\'( Every now and again, there would be an article about him in our local paper.

Cat

Written By: Skippy on 11/24/05 at 4:31 pm

Watched him always, always liked Mr. Greenjeans for some reason. Probably because I grew up on a farm. I have a shortened version of his theme song as my windows shutdown music.

Written By: w on 11/24/05 at 5:26 pm

Sure grew up watching  the Captain. His was a gentle kind of humor. Remember Moose's JOKES?  w.

Written By: hot_wax on 11/24/05 at 9:51 pm

I watched him all the time, it was a good show. He was Clarabell the clown on the Howdy Doody show before his gig as Captain Kangaroo too.

Hot Wax

Written By: Farley on 01/09/06 at 8:11 am

I remember watching Captain Kangaroo....I loved how he would make a train using big cardboard boxes and I loved the sound of him cutting paper with his scissors.  I loved Grandfather Clock too!

Written By: GREEN67 on 01/11/06 at 10:35 pm

8) Captain Kangaroo was GREAT!!! I watched that show faithfully...Mr Greenjeans was my FAVE..he reminded me of my Grandfather..wasnt that the show where all of a sudden all the ping pong balls would fall out of the top....?????????????I know that sounds wierd but I remember that for some reason...I also watched Sesame St and Zoom..( remember when Morgan Freemon was young??)....It was all PBS then..no Cable...No remotes..No sattilite...

Written By: Gaylon on 01/12/06 at 5:00 pm

I also grew up watching the happenings in the Treasure House.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/15/06 at 10:24 pm

I remember Bunny Rabbit playing the piano...and Mr. Moose too!

Written By: schmartypantz on 01/16/06 at 9:14 pm

oh man, I was a little kid when that was on. Grandfather Clock and Mr. Greenjeans.
I think Keeshan was a genuinely nice guy.

Check for new replies or respond here...