inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Vladimir Nabokov, anyone?

Written By: nicki_morrissey on 11/27/05 at 5:29 pm

Yeah, I was just wondering if anyone was a fan of/familiar with the author. I've read "Lolita" and I've been hooked ever since. I'm currently reading "The Defense", but it's horribly confusing.
Can anyone help me out here in discovering what's going on in this book?

<3 Ash

Subject: Re: Vladimir Nabokov, anyone?

Written By: Tia on 11/27/05 at 5:33 pm

i read lolita and pale fire, and thought they were both wonderful. (although surprisingly, pale fire intrigued me more.) nabokov is very confusing, i think you just have to kinda let it go and figure you won't get it all the first time. unfortunately i haven't read the one you're talking about but maybe i'll pick it up. i'm long overdue for more nabokov.

you might dig thomas pynchon. and i thought both film adaptations of "lolita" were great -- the kubrick version is obviously a classic but the more recent version with jeremy irons i also thought was good, and largely overlooked.

Written By: nicki_morrissey on 11/27/05 at 5:46 pm

Pale Fire.... that one was at the library but for some odd reason, I opted for the stupid, difficult book! lol
I never got to seeing the Lolita movies, although I really really want to. I haven't seen them anywhere yet. I live in a very small town.

Oh... The Defense is mainly about chess.. interesting, huh?

Written By: Tia on 11/27/05 at 5:49 pm

don't get me wrong, pale fire is difficult too. but it's rewarding.

definitely check out the 1960 movie. the new one is optional, but pretty good. but all kubrick should be seen, and seen, and seen again. except that dam tom cruise thing! yuck!

yeah, chess. that nabokov's thing: games, games with logic, games with language.

Written By: nicki_morrissey on 11/27/05 at 7:01 pm

And boy, does he have a way with words!

Written By: Sammy Reed on 11/27/05 at 8:02 pm

Well, I know about "that book by Alvin Koff", but...
(Misheard lyric joke - Police, "Don't Stand So Close to Me")

Written By: nicki_morrissey on 11/27/05 at 8:47 pm

LOL! That's great!

Never heard it mistaken as that before.

Great song, though <3

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/30/05 at 2:10 am

Yeah, I was just wondering if anyone was a fan of/familiar with the author. I've read "Lolita" and I've been hooked ever since. I'm currently reading "The Defense", but it's horribly confusing.
Can anyone help me out here in discovering what's going on in this book?

<3 Ash
I have seen the Stanley Kubrick movie of Lolita that stars James Mason and Peter Sellers several times, but never got round to reading the novel.

Check for new replies or respond here...