inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Favorite Morning Cartoon/kids' show hosts in your area,besides Captain Kangaroo?

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 11/30/05 at 12:50 pm

I remember one in my area..PIXANNE! She wore a Peter Pan style costume...and she did stuff like sing-alongs...

And since my neighborhood had CATV(or as it's now called, basic cable)..I got to watch WONDERAMA.

Subject: Re: Favorite Morning Cartoon/kids' show hosts in your area,besides Captain Kanga

Written By: zotsfreak on 11/30/05 at 1:30 pm

I remember one in my area..PIXANNE! She wore a Peter Pan style costume...and she did stuff like sing-alongs...

And since my neighborhood had CATV(or as it's now called, basic cable)..I got to watch WONDERAMA.

Lets include your market. Mine was Buffalo, NY and WKBW TV. After school it was The Commander Tom Show. He was the local news weather man also and in his hour long show he would play a few Warner Brothers shorts plus a half hour series in re-runs. (Addams Family, Superman, etc.)

Subject: Re: Favorite Morning Cartoon/kids' show hosts in your area,besides Captain Kangaroo?

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 11/30/05 at 7:08 pm

Lets include your market. Mine was Buffalo, NY and WKBW TV. After school it was The Commander Tom Show. He was the local news weather man also and in his hour long show he would play a few Warner Brothers shorts plus a half hour series in re-runs. (Addams Family, Superman, etc.)
Area, market,whatever.

Subject: Re: Favorite Morning Cartoon/kids' show hosts in your area,besides Captain Kangaroo?

Written By: hot_wax on 12/01/05 at 2:00 am

In the early 50's in the New York/Newark area when I was about 4 or 5 years old there only 5 channels on the air and didn't broadcast all day long either some only at certain times of the day mainly in the morning then stop about 10 AM and start again around 4PM and stop 11:00 PM and slowly around 52' they started broadcasting 16 hours daily as more shows where created. For us kids back then there was only Ding Dong School, Howdy Doody, Kukla Fran and Ollie, Junior Frollics, in the mid to late 50's more channels were added and day long viewing was the norm and lots more shows were offered, The Sandy Becker Show, The Merry Mailman, The Rudy Kazooty Show with Polka Dottie and Cecil, Wonder Rama Show, Loony Tunes,The Woody Wood Pecker Show,  Popeye, Mickey Mouse Club and the the Wonderful World of Disney, Pinky Lee Show, Andy's Gang, The Big Top Circus, Claude Kershner's 3 Ring Circus Cartoon Show, at 5:00 PM the Our Gang Comedy Show with Officer Joe Bolten and he did his Officer Joe Bolten midday cartoon show, The 3 Stooges, Rocky and Bullwinkle. There was a Saturday cartoon show that you put a sheet of celophane paper over your tv screen and would draw pictures with a crayon on it to help the cartoon kid solve problems, but I can't remember the name of the show...do you remember it?

There were other cartoon type shows in the 50's that I don't remember and then there were many action shows also that I didn't mention...they're for another topic, and I didn't go into the 60's either, you probably know them all already.

Hot Wax     

Subject: Re: Favorite Morning Cartoon/kids' show hosts in your area,besides Captain Kanga

Written By: zotsfreak on 12/01/05 at 7:49 am

Area, market,whatever.

What I meant was lets identify the market also, which you did not specifically or clearly request.

Written By: hot_wax on 12/01/05 at 7:18 pm

What I meant was lets identify the market also, which you did not specifically or clearly request.

Do you mean the New York / Newark area that I mentioned? or What?  HW

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 12/01/05 at 10:33 pm

I remember 2 locally-produced shows on KOLN-KGIN 10-11 out of Lincoln: "Cartoon Corral" with "Calamity Kate," where they showed old Hanna-Barbera cartoons and had a puppet show; and FCO (For Children Only), hosted by "Mr. Dale" (actually an ordained minister) and "Morty Mouse", and they also showed old H-B cartoons as well. FCO aired on Sunday mornings, and I remember it was Christian-themed (Mr. Dale even encouraged his viewers to send in drawings of their favorite Bible stories). I think FCO carried on well into the 90's.

Written By: Skippy on 12/02/05 at 12:34 am

From WTTV channel 4 Indianapolis I remember the Popeye & Janie show(Janie Woods). There seems to be a vague memory of somebody before her. She showed Popeye(never woulda' known that, would ya?), Harveytoons, & Hanna/Barbera cartoons. She also played a guitar and I think occasionally had puppets.
Just a little aside, Elvis once applied for a job at WTTV 4 and was turned down.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/04/05 at 2:54 am

In the early 50's in the New York/Newark area when I was about 4 or 5 years old there only 5 channels on the air and didn't broadcast all day long either some only at certain times of the day mainly in the morning then stop about 10 AM and start again around 4PM and stop 11:00 PM and slowly around 52' they started broadcasting 16 hours daily as more shows where created. For us kids back then there was only Ding Dong School, Howdy Doody, Kukla Fran and Ollie, Junior Frollics, in the mid to late 50's more channels were added and day long viewing was the norm and lots more shows were offered, The Sandy Becker Show, The Merry Mailman, The Rudy Kazooty Show with Polka Dottie and Cecil, Wonder Rama Show, Loony Tunes,The Woody Wood Pecker Show,

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/04/05 at 2:57 am

I remember Philadelphia had The Gene London Show..and Gene used to tell scary stories about "Quigley Mansion" and "The Bottomless Pit"!

And another kids' hostess, Pixanne, actually came to our school!

Written By: hot_wax on 12/04/05 at 10:25 pm

The show where kids could draw pics was Winky Dink!

Yes it was Winky Dink...how did you know? I remember getting caught in one show when he needed a bridge to cross over to another mountain to save his little girl friend from a villian I got so invovled with the plot that I just drew a bridge on the screen without the cellophane, my mom didn't take it very well to see her new 16 inch black and white Sylvania television with the Halo Light all messed up with an Indian Red Crayola crayon, she made whacked me a shot and I couldn't go out the rest of the day...I didn't forget to use the cellophane paper after that and the Sylvania was off limits, I could only use the old 9 inch RCA in the cellar.

How did you remember the name Winky Dink?

H W   

Written By: Skippy on 12/04/05 at 11:10 pm

You had cable before the 1970's?  ???

Written By: micah on 12/05/05 at 4:26 pm

Ft.Wayne,In. had a show called' Engineer John' I watched as a kid back in the mid 60's. From what I remember it was on Mon.-Fri.  after Captain Kangaroo.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/05/05 at 9:30 pm

You had cable before the 1970's?

Check for new replies or respond here...