inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Dangerous toys that we somehow survived!

Written By: zotsfreak on 12/01/05 at 6:36 am

These playthings are all gone due to safety issues, but me and my gang all somehow managed to survive them; and we had a lot of fun with them too in the days when all us kids in the 60

Subject: Re: Dangerous toys that we somehow survived!

Written By: Skippy on 12/01/05 at 1:42 pm

Wrist Rocket sling shot: More powerful than a Wham-O sling shot(I still have 1 of those). It used surgical rubber tubing instead of the weaker flat rubber strap. It also has a bracket that rests on your wrist for more accuracy and power.  could shoot a 1/2" steel ball bearing through a 1" wodden door with that thing. Both the Wrist Rocket & Wham-O came with an arrow guide for even more lethal fun.

Written By: Carl on 12/01/05 at 2:07 pm

Those Kabangers were pretty dangerous! You had to hold then as far away from you as possible so as to avoid being hit in the head!

Written By: gemini on 12/01/05 at 5:19 pm

How about "pick up sticks". Those plastic sticks that you could put someones eye out with!  :D
Metal trucks and cars with sharp edges and the metal dollhouse I used to have.

Seems like they replaced most of the metal stuff with plastic.  :(  I just love the look of the old metal toys, and I doubt if anyone died from playing with one.  :-\\

Written By: oneno on 12/02/05 at 8:19 am

Jonny six finger was kind of dangerous as you could shoot any projectile out of the fake "six finger" such as bobby pins, match sticks etc..Superlastic bubble plastic had such a strong chemical smell I couldn't imagine it being good to inhale. Creepy crawlers had that little metal mold that had to heat up enough to melt plastic or sear the flesh off of little fingers. I used to love the water rockets, my friends and I would stand a yard apart and duel it out with em'. Luckily we were poor shots.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/02/05 at 4:56 pm

How about letting kids have a go at creating mayhem with those
CHEMISTRY SETS
that naive parents used to get for kids?

Written By: w on 12/02/05 at 8:01 pm

Didn't anyone of you have a BB gun,  Or Estes model rockets with the chemical engines? One of our great feats of young engineering was taking a Big Bertha model rocket & adapting it for the big D size engines. It went so high we couldn't see the big orange recovery chute when it deployed! It took a minute or more before we could spot it and start chasing it down. Too bad we didn't live close to an airport!    w

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/02/05 at 8:35 pm

Jonny six finger was kind of dangerous as you could shoot any projectile out of the fake "six finger" such as bobby pins, match sticks etc..Superlastic bubble plastic had such a strong chemical smell I couldn't imagine it being good to inhale. Creepy crawlers had that little metal mold that had to heat up enough to melt plastic or sear the flesh off of little fingers. I used to love the water rockets, my friends and I would stand a yard apart and duel it out with em'. Luckily we were poor shots.
I had Fun Flowers with the "thingmaker" that heated up like the Creepy Crawler molds...my Mom and Dad gave it to me for Christmas yet they NEVER let me use it at all....I was stuck with OVERPROTECTIVE parents who were too dam DRUNK to supervise me playing with it...so why did they get me the dam toy?

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/02/05 at 8:39 pm

Remember when toy irons could really heat up?  My Suzy Homemaker Iron did! There was also the Suzy Homemaker vacuum cleaner that really worked...and the Suzy Homemaker washing machine also really washed your doll's clothes(You had to fill it up with tap water though)!

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/02/05 at 8:42 pm

Okay..how about Easy-Bake Ovens! One could get a nasty burn if you handled the tiny cake pans without potholders!

Written By: zotsfreak on 12/03/05 at 4:33 am

How about letting kids have a go at creating mayhem with those
CHEMISTRY SETS
that naive parents used to get for kids?

Forgot all about them!! We used to heat up a bunch of chemicals over the alcohol burner just to fill the basement up with vast quantities of noxious smoke and fumes in order to mask the cigarettes we were smoking!!

Written By: zotsfreak on 12/03/05 at 5:00 am

Didn't anyone of you have a BB gun,  Or Estes model rockets with the chemical engines? One of our great feats of young engineering was taking a Big Bertha model rocket & adapting it for the big D size engines. It went so high we couldn't see the big orange recovery chute when it deployed! It took a minute or more before we could spot it and start chasing it down. Too bad we didn't live close to an airport!    w

An Estes Rocket almost killed my Bud. We used to play with my dads gunpowder (he re-loaded his own shotgun shells) Well, we tried to make our own engine since a buck for three was alot of money back then. We sawed the tip off an empty CO2 bb gun cartridge in order to make the hole a little bigger so we could fill it with gun powder. We put tape around it so that it fit snugly into the rocket. We always used ignition cord (the stuff m-80 fuses are made from) to ignite the engine; so..... our homemade engine was in actuallity a small pipe bomb. We couldn't even find the schrapnell after the explosion, but were lucky it didn't lodge in one of our heads. After this however, we moved on from rockets to junoir demolitionsts making all sorts of pipe bombs!

Written By: gord on 12/03/05 at 8:54 am

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/03/05 at 12:10 pm

It wasn't a toy but what we used to do.  My dad has ALWAYS had a convertible (still does to this day).  We used to sit on the top of the back seat when the top was down as my dad drove. I'm sure he didn't drive very fast when we were up there but it was still VERY dangerous.

Cat

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/04/05 at 4:46 pm

I had a metal dollhouse that had the tacky plastic furniture and plastic figurines that had magnetic bases with "Mother", "Father" "Sister" and "Baby brother" stamped onto them, you used a 'magic wand' to move your figurines around the two-story house...but you had to put them on the floor you wanted them on..I wonder why the little figurines were labeled though..

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/07/05 at 8:10 pm

I liked Lincoln Logs building sets...Yes you could, if you had the skill and a great imagination, build things with Erector sets.

Written By: hot_wax on 12/08/05 at 9:15 pm

Written By: hot_wax on 12/12/05 at 12:09 am

These playthings are all gone due to safety issues, but me and my gang all somehow managed to survive them; and we had a lot of fun with them too in the days when all us kids in the 60

Written By: zotsfreak on 12/12/05 at 6:18 am

You forgot the Pea Shooter. A 5 cent plastic pea shooter and a 15 cent bag of dried peas caused blindness and some times doctors had to take them out of your ear hole not to mention the spit from someone's mouth all over your head and body.

HW

Not just your ear!! The little girl next door to me tried turning her nose into a pea shooter. After a few sucessful launches of a pea placed in her nostril, her last attempt had to be extracted by a doc also (after her mom had her a bloody mess from the tweezers!) Not funny, but I still laugh when I think back.

Written By: de410 on 01/03/06 at 5:02 pm

I had the "edible" thing maker.  Wonder what was in those little creepy crawlers we ate?

Written By: hot_wax on 01/03/06 at 7:59 pm

I had the "edible" thing maker.  Wonder what was in those little creepy crawlers we ate?

What was that? was it put out by "Play Dough"?

HW

Check for new replies or respond here...