inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 'Gimme Shelter', film on concert at Altamont

Written By: Carl on 12/02/05 at 12:08 pm

They were showing this in Greenwich Village a few years back, it was quite an interesting piece of work. I'm curious to hear reviews on it.

Subject: Re: 'Gimme Shelter', film on concert at Altamont

Written By: Tanya1976 on 12/02/05 at 1:12 pm

I've seen it. It's amazing how they've caught this event and the subsequent drama on tape forever.

It bothers me, honestly to see the events leading to Meredith Hunter's death on scene. It still haunts me.  :o  :o  :o

Written By: Carl on 12/02/05 at 1:38 pm

When they showed the still frame of the guy in the crowd, it DID show he had a gun, but it was still very tragic. I can't understand why, as much as I like the Rolling Stones,they had the Hells Angels doing security.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/02/05 at 5:00 pm

I remember afterwards Sonny Barger, who was the head honcho of the Hell's Angels, saying 'oh my guys had nothing to do with him getting killed, he was messing with one of us, and we were just defending ourselves!'

Written By: Tanya1976 on 12/02/05 at 9:13 pm

When they showed the still frame of the guy in the crowd, it DID show he had a gun, but it was still very tragic. I can't understand why, as much as I like the Rolling Stones,they had the Hells Angels doing security.

Yeah, he did have a gun. That's true, but it's still a shame about what followed.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 12/03/05 at 8:10 am

I remember seeing this film about 10 years ago.  Such a good concert, but such a tragedy.  I guess 90's rap concert don't have an exclusive on getting killed if you are in the crowd...  :\'(

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/04/05 at 9:23 pm

Yeah, he did have a gun. That's true, but it's still a shame about what followed.
I read something from Hell's Angels head honcho Sonny Barger that he was there, and that Meredith Hunter supposedly threatened one of the Hell's Angels...and Barger said 'If you mess with one of us, you'll pay!'

Written By: schmartypantz on 12/07/05 at 10:39 am

I just watched this film last night again. very good film. and why would you bring a gun to a rock concert in 1969?

Written By: Carl on 12/07/05 at 11:05 am

That is a good question, have no idea, and I guess we'll never know why.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/09/05 at 9:41 pm

It has only been shown ONCE on TV here....that's how I saw the movie. It was aired on KYW-3 (Philadelphia area)in 1974.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/11/08 at 5:25 pm

I wonder how this movie compares to the new Rolling Stones movie by Martin Scorsece "Shine a light"

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/12/08 at 1:26 pm

Hiring the Hells Angels as security seems, in hindsight, as one of the dumbest things ever. I've seen parts of this film, and the band had to stop several times because of violence that had broken out between the Angels and the crowd. The Angels were overly aggressive, they seemed like they were all intoxicated and hopped up on God-knows-what, they were wielding pool cues and other weapons, and whenever trouble would break out they wouldn't stop at just trying to eject people...they'd kick the living crap out of them.

WTF were the Stones thinking?!?

Written By: Brigitte on 05/14/08 at 10:19 pm

It was a concert that ended that turbulent decade with what? Violence! It's a shame that it wasn't a peaceful concert to end  the 60's. http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/02/camper.gif

Check for new replies or respond here...