inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Death of an aussie Legend

Written By: holicman on 12/05/05 at 5:33 am

Im very sad to announce the sudden passing of Gerry Humphries, lead singer of Australian 60's Band "the loved Ones".

Gerry passed away suddenly in london.
He was in his sixties.

I cant find a link for it anywhere but when i do i will post it in here.

There most popular Tunes were "the loved one" covered by Inxs in the early 80's, though the original is SO MUCH better.

The other great tune they had was called Everlovin Man...........a really true australian Rythym and blues Rock track.

The vocal in this is supreme.

Australian Hard rock outfit "jet" have also covered this song, and i can tell you im looking forward to hearing that.

If he can pull off the vocals as well as Gerry Humphries i will be very impressed.

I liken his vocal to Eric Burdon in similarity.................it has that raw quality that not many, if any can match.

RIP Gerry, and for anyone interested, try and get hold of one of their songs, or both because you are missing out on some quality tunes from one of the best eras of australian rock.

Subject: Re: Death of an aussie Legend

Written By: holicman on 12/06/05 at 6:14 am

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=76029

This is a link reporting his passing  :(

Written By: Paul on 12/06/05 at 3:36 pm

Im very sad to announce the sudden passing of Gerry Humphries, lead singer of Australian 60's Band "the loved Ones".

Gerry passed away suddenly in london.
He was in his sixties..

A very sad tale, given the background info'...thanks for that...

There most popular Tunes were "the loved one" covered by Inxs in the early 80's, though the original is SO MUCH better.

Not heard the INXS version, but I do have the original (courtesy of Fuss) which is a highly competent and confident piece of work...

Sadly, like most 60s 'down under' acts (barring The Easybeats), it probably never got much of an audience beyond your shores...a great pity...

The other great tune they had was called Everlovin Man...........a really true australian Rythym and blues Rock track.

The vocal in this is supreme.

This I haven't heard, but will be on the hunt for it...

RIP Gerry, and for anyone interested, try and get hold of one of their songs, or both because you are missing out on some quality tunes from one of the best eras of australian rock.

I'll second that...RIP Gerry...

Written By: holicman on 07/04/06 at 6:09 am

A very sad tale, given the background info'...thanks for that...

Not heard the INXS version, but I do have the original (courtesy of Fuss) which is a highly competent and confident piece of work...

Sadly, like most 60s 'down under' acts (barring The Easybeats), it probably never got much of an audience beyond your shores...a great pity...

This I haven't heard, but will be on the hunt for it...

I'll second that...RIP Gerry...

Thanks Paul :)

After a long and hard search I found a video link of the Loved ones performing Everlovin man.

This is an awesome song, its obvious he is miming but the backing track is definitely the album version, so you get to here the supreme vocals I had mentioned in this topic.

Enjoy mate :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEpVKwlYrVA&search=Australian%20sixties

Check for new replies or respond here...