inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Most influencial 60's album?

Written By: Zoso on 12/05/05 at 6:40 am

Both of these albums were of the most influence 60's albums. Sgt. Pepper's by The Bealtes and Modern Sounds by Ray Charles. Which one was better?

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000002UAU.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Tracklist
With a Little Help from My Friends
Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds
Getting Better
Fixing a Hole
She's Leaving Home
Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite!
Within You Without You
When I'm Sixty-Four
Lovely Rita
Good Morning, Good Morning
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)
A Day in the Life

Modern Sounds in Country & Western Music
By Ray Charles

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0000032B4.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Tracklist
Bye Bye Love
You Don't Know Me (Eddy Arnold)
Half as Much
I Love You So Much It Hurts
Just a Little Lovin' (Will Go a Long Way)
Born to Lose
Worried Mind
It Makes No Difference Now
You Win Again
Careless Lov
I Can't Stop Loving You (Don Gibson)
Hey, Good Lookin'

Subject: Re: Most influencial 60's album?

Written By: hot_wax on 12/07/05 at 9:49 pm

Both of these albums were of the most influence 60's albums. Sgt. Pepper's by The Bealtes and Modern Sounds by Ray Charles. Which one was better?

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000002UAU.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Tracklist
With a Little Help from My Friends
Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds
Getting Better
Fixing a Hole
She's Leaving Home
Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite!
Within You Without You
When I'm Sixty-Four
Lovely Rita
Good Morning, Good Morning
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)
A Day in the Life

Modern Sounds in Country & Western Music
By Ray Charles

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0000032B4.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Tracklist
Bye Bye Love
You Don't Know Me (Eddy Arnold)
Half as Much
I Love You So Much It Hurts
Just a Little Lovin' (Will Go a Long Way)
Born to Lose
Worried Mind
It Makes No Difference Now
You Win Again
Careless Lov
I Can't Stop Loving You (Don Gibson)
Hey, Good Lookin'

Zoso, help me out here, you ask "Which is better?". The Beatles Sgt. Pepper changed the cultures in the world to what it is today...Ray Charles was a great performer and a Black Artist singing country western style music was only a "different" for that time, what did he do to change the world?...Tell me what you think.

Hot Wax 

Written By: Tanya1976 on 12/08/05 at 5:42 pm

Written By: hot_wax on 12/08/05 at 8:12 pm

Let's see, Hot Wax, he created Rock and Roll with other black artists so that we can have The Beatles. That and that alone tells you the great depth of Ray Charles.

As far as Sgt. Pepper, not everyone was influenced by the record. It didn't change music as you believe. It added to it. But no new genres came from its birth (and I'm an avid Beatles fan, so that should tell you something).

Hi Tanya, I see your point and your not wrong about Ray Charles and the hundreds of early day pioneers getting Rock and Roll accepted to where it is today, but the question was "which was better" better what ? better music album or it's better social/politcal Earth changing impact on our society album? because the latter of the two questions, with all the history of Rock and Roll behind the Beatles their Pepper album is, and always will be, hands down, without question about it, "Better" than the "Modern Sounds" album

Just like the past, our "point/counter point" discussion is a welcomed stimulant.

Your turn!  Hot Wax

Written By: Tanya1976 on 12/08/05 at 11:43 pm

Hi Tanya, I see your point and your not wrong about Ray Charles and the hundreds of early day pioneers getting Rock and Roll accepted to where it is today, but the question was "which was better" better what ? better music album or it's better social/politcal Earth changing impact on our society album? because the latter of the two questions, with all the history of Rock and Roll behind the Beatles their Pepper album is, and always will be, hands down, without question about it, "Better" than the "Modern Sounds" album

Just like the past, our "point/counter point" discussion is a welcomed stimulant.

Your turn!

Written By: hot_wax on 12/11/05 at 11:34 pm

I know! LOL - I miss those discussions so.

I love Sgt. Pepper and it is indeed, a great album. But, if you look at Modern Sounds then you say the beginning of genre-merging, which was still quite rare, particularly with country and soul/R&B. The purists still pretty much ruled the genres and wanted to keep that way. I think the influence was greater b/c of the genre-merging, which is so evident in music through the years after.

As for Sgt. Pepper, Paul McCartney has stated that he was influenced by Pet Sounds from The Beach Boys (let's just say, Brian Wilson). So, it wasn't groundbreaking in the sense that they had an overwhelming epiphany and created it themselves.

Let's discuss this further. I love the Beatles; however, I've noticed that when people throw up the Beatles as the end all and be all of music, they tend to not have strong arguments to back up what they say (not you, Hot Wax, just others I've debated music with). It's become so cliche to say they (and only them) had the greatest influence over music from the sixties on.

What do you think?

Tanya, The way I saw it and lived it, the Beatles were different and lead music and "attitudes in life" into a whole new era in the 60's and "us", who were kids back then are now leaders in world leading and teaching and living with that new cultured attitude in today's society. Think of the taboos of the past that are common place today because they aloud us to question and them and correct injustices just by saying a few simple words..."ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE" and the walls started to crumble down and our eyes and minds openned up for the first time in our lives, but not for all free lives. Yes their was Ray Charles, Elvis, and others that help change attitudes and the culture in America, but  the Beatles get the credit for changing the worlds attitude to human rights and the meaning of "A Free Mind and Body" and did it through the common interest of music. I personally think they were ''chosen" and used to do his work here on Earth, like the other "chosens" in our history he'll choose more as he needs them in the future.

It's not a cliche, it's a planted thought to be used for our benefit.

Hot Wax

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/12/05 at 12:27 am

Give Ray Charles's album the nod as Most Inspirational and the Beatles album Most Influential. I can't comprehend living my life in total blindness, but Ray performed beautifully with a strong passion, and also had to deal with prejudice and other personal issues, and yet was able to put out music that came from deep within his heart, specifically about love relationships and their ups and downs. The Beatles did this in their earlier albums but Sgt Pepper took you to a place you'd never been to before. They created and Ray related. You have 3 songwriters and 4 singers all putting their own imprint on the album. I remember being 11 years old when it released, my best friend called me over to listen to it. We sat in front of his record player and played it over and over, amazed at the music, the lyrics, the instruments, the vocals, and the images it was painting in my mind. I think that's the year I talked my parents into buying me an electric guitar for Christmas. The Beatles influenced in whatever they did at this time. We grew our hair long, we felt the need to be independant. Kind of like that scene from The Jerk with Steve Martin when he hears a song on the radio and it inspires him to go out and see the world. "if this is out there, think how much more is out there"

Written By: hot_wax on 12/12/05 at 10:59 pm

Give Ray Charles's album the nod as Most Inspirational and the Beatles album Most Influential. I can't comprehend living my life in total blindness, but Ray performed beautifully with a strong passion, and also had to deal with prejudice and other personal issues, and yet was able to put out music that came from deep within his heart, specifically about love relationships and their ups and downs. The Beatles did this in their eearlier albums but Sgt Pepper took you to a place you'd never been to before. They created and Ray related. You have 3 songwriters and 4 singers all putting their own imprint on the album. I remember being 11 years old when it released, my best friend called me over to listen to it. We sat in front of his record player and played it over and over, amazed at the music, the lyrics, the instruments, the vocals, and the images it was painting in my mind. I think that's the year I talked my parents into buying me an electric guitar for Christmas. The Beatles influenced in whatever they did at this time. We grew our hair long, we felt the need to be independant. Kind of like that scene from The Jerk with Steve Martin when he hears a song on the radio and it inspires him to go out and see the world. "if this is out there, think how much more is out there"

Yes, you said it best, Ray Charles was more "inspirational" and the Beatles "influential"...

Check for new replies or respond here...