inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: For anyone who recently joined Decades:Do you remember the old NBC Peacock?

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/06/05 at 8:03 pm

Does anyone else here remember the late 50's and 60's era animated NBC Peacocks?

I remember some of the Peacocks were 'customized' for stuff like the initial color broadcast of the Rose Bowl game and I think when NBC showed the Beatles' "Help" and "A Hard Day's Night"....

Those were the days. I remember those without color TV would come over just to watch because my family had a color set!

Subject: Re: For anyone who recently joined Decades:Do you remember the old NBC Peacock?

Written By: zotsfreak on 12/07/05 at 5:50 am

Does anyone else here remember the late 50's and 60's era animated NBC Peacocks?

I remember some of the Peacocks were 'customized' for stuff like the initial color broadcast of the Rose Bowl game and I think when NBC showed the Beatles' "Help" and "A Hard Day's Night"....

Those were the days. I remember those without color TV would come over just to watch because my family had a color set!
It was prolly the 60's that I remember where the peacock would partly open and then close his tail to the sound of chimes a couple of times before eventually fanning it open fully to display numerous differently colored feathers. I think the naration stated "This program is brought to you in living color"

Subject: Re: For anyone who recently joined Decades:Do you remember the old NBC Peacock?

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/07/05 at 7:56 pm

It was prolly the 60's that I remember where the peacock would partly open and then close his tail to the sound of chimes a couple of times before eventually fanning it open fully to display numerous differently colored feathers. I think the naration stated "This program is brought to you in living color"
Actually that was a kaleidoscopic effect with the subtle colors which then opened to the Peacock in his full feathered look, there were I think eight or so colors actually used for his feathers. And the music that was used in the background was a light baroque type music done by members of the Metropolitan Jazz Quartet... The Peacock you remember seeing actually is the SECOND animated Peacock, better known as the "Laramie Peacock" because he first appeared before the western "Laramie" in 1962...The 60's version, I thought it was the only animated version until I got the Internet and found Kris Trexler's 'King of the Road' website...Trexler works in television, he does editing stuff on some different sitcoms....The site is interesting to check out, it tells a lot about television history as it relates to the 'Color television revolution'...

Written By: Sammy Reed on 12/07/05 at 11:02 pm

I was afraid of that thing when I was very little. They stopped showing it on a regular basis in 1975, when I was in the 1st grade. Right now, it's available on a website called www.roadode.com. Click "Tube Town", and scroll down to "The Color Peacock" link (3rd from the bottom).

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/08/05 at 1:35 am

I remember it, and I remember our first color tv, bought just in time to view Adam West & Burt Ward in BATMAN 
I found a nice pic of the bird, I hope it appears

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/08/05 at 7:28 pm

I used to get a kick out of seeing the local kids, those in our Margate, NJ apartment complex, that did not yet have a color set in their homes...they always seemed to know when the Peacock was going to be on, and they'd be looking in our front window, gawking at our Admiral Color Console, watching 'the bird'!

Check for new replies or respond here...