inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Why was Bob Dylan booed at the Newport(?)Folk Festival for going "electric"?

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/06/05 at 8:22 pm

Why did the fans boo Bob Dylan for adding electric guitars to his music? Were folk music fans that narrow-minded or 'purist'?
BTW the first Dylan song that I liked was probably the song that earned him those boos.."Like a Rolling Stone".

Subject: Re: Why was Bob Dylan booed at the Newport(?)Folk Festival for going "electric"?

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/07/05 at 2:10 am

Is this the famous "Judas" incident you speak of?

Subject: Re: Why was Bob Dylan booed at the Newport(?)Folk Festival for going "electric"?

Written By: Carl on 12/07/05 at 11:27 am

I liked both scenes, and all musicians have to grow, Dylan thought the same. I have never seen him perform live, though he is a favorite of mine, but I'm sure he still appreciates his roots. For them to boo was not very cool at all.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/07/05 at 11:42 am

Regarding this topic please seehttp://www.sonicyouth.com/dotsonics/lee/misc/dylan.html

Written By: suzieq on 01/13/06 at 9:59 am

From what I remember reading, it wasn't the "riot" that people have made it out to be. In fact, I've read that some people were booing because the sound was piss-poor.

Written By: schmartypantz on 01/16/06 at 9:26 pm

in theory, what 'booing' there was , was because of his electric guitar. Folk music was supposed to be acoustic at the time to some. Bob did something new. good for him. I'm a big fan. Blonde on Blonde is my favorite Dylan album.

Check for new replies or respond here...