inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Why were certain song lyrics BANNED in the 1960's?

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/12/05 at 11:19 pm

Why were certain songs and song lyrics BANNED in some countries in the 1960's? I came across a supposedly BANNED version of Paul Revere and the Raiders' "Hungry"..when I listened to it I heard nothing really naughty in the lyrics...Were people that prudish in the 1960's, to ban certain stuff that even hinted at naughtiness?

Subject: Re: Why were certain song lyrics BANNED in the 1960's?

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/12/05 at 11:25 pm

They were very prudish. Just the implication of something risque was frowned upon. I remember controversy when the song Cherry Hill Park released, because it sang about a promisicous girl named Mary Hill. I think the vile lyrics were  "In the day Mary Hill was a teaser, but come the night she was,  oh what a pleaser, cause Mary Hill used to hang out after dark, in Cherry Hill Park"  as youngster approaching our Wonder Years we found that slightly provocative.

Written By: Paul on 12/13/05 at 6:29 am

One of the strangest bans that I've ever come across over in Britain was Bobby 'Boris' Pickett's 'Monster Mash'...

When it was originally released in 1962, it was banned by the BBC for being 'in poor taste'...I'm not certain what offended them!

Anyway, tastes must have changed a few years later as it eventually became a hit here (and made the BBC's playlists) in 1973 when re-issued...

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/13/05 at 6:49 am

One of the strangest bans that I've ever come across over in Britain was Bobby 'Boris' Pickett's 'Monster Mash'...

When it was originally released in 1962, it was banned by the BBC for being 'in poor taste'...I'm not certain what offended them!

Anyway, tastes must have changed a few years later as it eventually became a hit here (and made the BBC's playlists) in 1973 when re-issued...
I even heard Steve Wright play it the other week, probably around Halloween.

Written By: holicman on 12/14/05 at 4:09 am

The Rolling Stones once performed on the Ed Sullivan Show.

They performed their then "latest hit" - Lets spend the night Together",
Ed Sullivan asked them to change the lyric to something like "lets spend some time together"

I suppose back in the time the lyrics were rather provocative.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/14/05 at 8:57 am

The Beatles had a banned song called Suzy Parker from the Get Back Sessions in 1969, used in the Let It Be film, but on researching more I cannot locate the lyrics used.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/14/05 at 10:09 am

Oliver Stone's movie The Doors has that scene where they are getting ready to do the Ed Sullivan show and the producer advises them they can't use the word "Higher" on network tv from the song Light My Fire, so he suggets instead of Girl we couldn't get much "Higher" to girl we can't get much better.

Written By: barefootrobin on 12/14/05 at 12:15 pm

Wasn't Rock n Roll a term for S.E.X. in the 40s?

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/14/05 at 12:18 pm

Wasn't Rock n Roll a term for S.E.X. in the 40s?
With all that jitterbugging?

Written By: Marian on 12/14/05 at 7:24 pm

I believe a .,lot of the "death "songs like Ebony Eyes and Teen Angel were banned from British airwaves.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/14/05 at 7:31 pm

Why were certain songs and song lyrics BANNED in some countries in the 1960's? I came across a supposedly BANNED version of Paul Revere and the Raiders' "Hungry"..when I listened to it I heard nothing really naughty in the lyrics...Were people that prudish in the 1960's, to ban certain stuff that even hinted at naughtiness?
yeah, now that I think of it, "Hungry" did have some pretty randy, provocative lyrics, especially the way Mark Lindsay sang them!

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 12/14/05 at 8:05 pm

They were very prudish. Just the implication of something risque was frowned upon.

Written By: alyceclover on 12/14/05 at 10:58 pm

Gary & the US Bonds..Quarter To Three was banned....listened to it over & over & could not find out why...Dylan did that tune about the times they are a changing...and they sure did....4 out of 5 doctors who smoked preferred Doral's...I think the old ad went
:o
FYI for the youngsters...the Senior Dress Down Day was cancelled..the Principal thought the taxpayers would be upset to see the boys come to school in jeans and the girls in slacks....neither was allowed...2 years after I graduated the girls were allowed to wear pants to school (before that it was only dresses & skirts....we'd have suprise length checks...we had to kneel on the floor and if the skirt (dress) hem didn't touch it, got sent home to change...did you see 2005's micro-mini's???

...in Junior High a boy got suspended for dying his hair green on St Patrick's day (he was of Irish descent)...

...so with that being the Norm adult attitude, not suprising Songs were banned for being improper...

When Elvis first appeared on TV, he was filmed from the waist up.....that's just the way things were back then...

::)

Written By: belladonna on 12/18/05 at 2:51 am

FYI for the youngsters...the Senior Dress Down Day was cancelled..the Principal thought the taxpayers would be upset to see the boys come to school in jeans and the girls in slacks....neither was allowed...2 years after I graduated the girls were allowed to wear pants to school (before that it was only dresses & skirts....we'd have suprise length checks...we had to kneel on the floor and if the skirt (dress) hem didn't touch it, got sent home to change...did you see 2005's micro-mini's???

Yep, I remember this.  Up until 4th or 5th grade the only time we were allowed to wear pants was in the winter; you wore them under your skirt if you had to walk to school and you had to take them off once you got in the building.  Once the dress code was changed you almost never saw me in a dress.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/18/05 at 8:40 pm

Gary & the US Bonds..Quarter To Three was banned....listened to it over & over & could not find out why...Dylan did that tune about the times they are a changing...and they sure did....4 out of 5 doctors who smoked preferred Doral's...I think the old ad went
:o

...in Junior High a boy got suspended for dying his hair green on St Patrick's day (he was of Irish descent)...

...so with that being the Norm adult attitude, not suprising Songs were banned for being improper...

When Elvis first appeared on TV, he was filmed from the waist up.....that's just the way things were back then...

::)

I remember when I was in kindergarten, which was 1966, we had to wear dresses...I've always wondered what difference did it make what little kids wore to school as long as it was neat and clean..Come on. Kids will be kids no matter what they wear. But it was the 1960's, when the so-called GENERATION GAP was in effect....

Written By: GREEN67 on 12/19/05 at 11:35 am

Oliver Stone's movie The Doors has that scene where they are getting ready to do the Ed Sullivan show and the producer advises them they can't use the word "Higher" on network tv from the song Light My Fire, so he suggets instead of Girl we couldn't get much "Higher" to girl we can't get much better.
8)  Yep! my mom and dad were watching the real thing when Morrison sang " Higher" anyway! mom and dad really got a kick outta that! Ed Sullivan FREAKED! My parents were hippies so they thought it was cool....also I remember mom talking about the song " Louie Louie" most of us remember it from Animal House..LOL...There was apparently some controversy about that song...I dunno...I never understood any of the words EXCEPT Louie Louie...LOL

Written By: cables on 12/20/05 at 1:45 pm

8)

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/20/05 at 2:35 pm

8)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/21/05 at 12:47 am

There was a politician in the state of Washington who tried to make 'Louie Louie' the official state anthem!
Someone needs to post the lyrics if they can find them

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/21/05 at 2:11 am

Someone needs to post the lyrics if they can find them
Courtesy of http://www.lyricsondemand.com/onehitwonders/louielouielyrics.html

Louie Louie Lyrics

CHORUS:

Louie Louie, oh no
Me gotta go
Aye-yi-yi-yi, I said
Louie Louie, oh baby
Me gotta go

Fine little girl waits for me
Catch a ship across the sea
Sail that ship about, all alone
Never know if I make it home

CHORUS

Three nights and days I sail the sea
Think of girl, constantly
On that ship, I dream she's there
I smell the rose in her hair.

CHORUS

Okay, let's give it to 'em, right now!

GUITAR SOLO

See Jamaica, the moon above
It won't be long, me see me love
Take her in my arms again
Tell her I'll never leave again

CHORUS

Let's take it on outa here now
Let's go!!

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/21/05 at 2:30 am

Louie Louie Lyrics

CHORUS:

Louie Louie, oh no
Me gotta go
Aye-yi-yi-yi, I said
Louie Louie, oh baby
Me gotta go

CHORUS

CHORUS

GUITAR SOLO

CHORUS

Let's go!!

Wow, there were real "intelligible"words to that song, & I thought the Kingsmen were just sounding drunk. Thanks Philip

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/21/05 at 1:50 pm

Wow, there were real "intelligible"words to that song, & I thought the Kingsmen were just sounding drunk. Thanks Philip
Remember on these Lyrics Boards that it can be one person interpretation of the words and may not necessary be the true words song in the song.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/21/05 at 11:15 pm

Remember on these Lyrics Boards that it can be one person interpretation of the words and may not necessary be the true words song in the song.
rule # 1 (trust no one)

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/22/05 at 2:12 am

rule # 1 (trust no one)
In truth, I do not take everything on the Internet as read.

Written By: spaceace on 01/19/06 at 2:01 pm

A little FYI.  There was a Monkees song who title had to be changed because of censorship reasons.  The name of the song is called "Randy Scouse Git"  It means (in British lingo. . . Sex crazed jerk from Liverpool)  They were told to come up with an alternate title.  So they did.  The song is now officially know as "Alternate Title"

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 01/19/06 at 4:47 pm

Louie Louie Lyrics

CHORUS:

Louie Louie, oh no
Me gotta go
Aye-yi-yi-yi, I said
Louie Louie, oh baby
Me gotta go

CHORUS

CHORUS

GUITAR SOLO

CHORUS

Let's go!!

I once read a book that was dedicated entirely to the "Louie, Louie" phenomenon, written by rock critic Dave Marsh. Although the song was originally released in 1963, it charted again in 1966. Marsh claims that this was because of the controversy surrounding the song, and that people were buying the single to try and decipher the lyrics and to see what the fuss was all about.
    In the book, Marsh recalls an incident when he was in junior high, and on the way to school one day some of the older kids on the bus were handing out papers that supposedly had the "real" lyrics to "Louie, Louie":

CHORUS:

Oh, Louie Louie, oh no
Get her way down low
Oh, Louie Louie, oh baby
Get her down low

A fine little girl a-waiting for me
She's just a girl across the way
We'll take her and park all alone
She's never a girl I lay at home

CHORUS

Each night at ten I lay her again
F*ck you girl, oh all the way
Oh my bed and I lay her there
I felt my bone, ah, in her hair

Okay, let's give it to them right now!

GUITAR SOLO

She's got a rag on I'll move above
It won't be long she'll slip it off
I'll take her in my arms again
I'll tell her I'll never leave again

CHORUS

Get that broad out of here!

Written By: schmartypantz on 01/21/06 at 10:37 pm

hahahahha..those lyrics would air on todays stations without much of a problem ;D

Written By: cables on 01/30/06 at 2:07 pm

Each night at ten I lay her again

She's got a rag on I'll move above
It won't be long she'll slip it off

I've seen Iggy Pop on stage singing Those lyrics.

Written By: danootaandme on 02/01/06 at 7:03 am

A little FYI.  There was a Monkees song who title had to be changed because of censorship reasons.  The name of the song is called "Randy Scouse Git"  It means (in British lingo. . . Sex crazed jerk from Liverpool)  They were told to come up with an alternate title.  So they did.  The song is now officially know as "Alternate Title"

One song that the Monkees made popular,  "Daydream Believer" had a lyric change.  The original(and much, much better) version written and sung by John Stewart(not the one on the TV show) a country western singer, was  "You once thought of me as a white knight on a steed, Now you know how funky I can be"  The Monkees changed it to "happy",  funky being one of those words not yet considered acceptable in polite society.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 02/04/06 at 5:32 pm

I still wanna know what's offensive about the original lyrics to "Hungry" by Paul Revere and the Raiders....http://www.lyricsdownload.com/paul-revere-and-the-raiders-hungry-lyrics.html....Sounds pretty innocent considering today's stuff!

Written By: danootaandme on 02/04/06 at 5:37 pm

I still wanna know what's offensive about the original lyrics to "Hungry" by Paul Revere and the Raiders....http://www.lyricsdownload.com/paul-revere-and-the-raiders-hungry-lyrics.html....Sounds pretty innocent considering today's stuff!

It wasn't so much the lyrics as the way he panted when singing, right before "I can almost taste it"  The censors didn't like that part of it.

Written By: john on 04/28/10 at 8:11 pm

The original lyrics for "Hungry" contained the line "... in a penthouse in the sky where we'll both get stoned."  For some reason, parents objected to this line about drug use.  Go figure!  They changed it to something more benign and it's hard to find an original version with these lyrics.

Written By: Mushroom on 05/14/10 at 11:06 pm

I can think of one in particular, that I am surprised nobody has mentioned yet.

The 1961 Jimmy Dean song "Big Bad John" was most commonly broadcase in an edited form.  As originally, the memorial was written with the words:

"At the bottom of this mine lies one hell of a man, Big John."

But the version most commonly heard on the radio of the time was as follows"

"At the bottom of this line lies a big big man, Big John."

While growing up, my parents had the unedited version, and I was surprised when I was listening to an Oldies Station, and heard it with different lyrics.

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/15/10 at 12:44 am

"At the bottom of this mine lies one hell of a man, Big John."
"At the bottom of this line lies a big big man, Big John."

While we're on the subject of bowdlerized lyrics from the 60s...

There are three versions of Frank Gallop's "The Ballad of Irving" (1966).

1) 3:27: ...arguably the original, as it's the longest (has the extra verse, "...and Irving drew - drew a picture of a cow", as well as the 10 gallon yarmulke line.)
2) 2:48: "With a ten-gallon yarmulke on his head"
3) 2:48: "Schlepping a Salami and Pumpernickel bread"

Reference: The Ballad of Irving.  The punchline isn't that a 10-gallon yarmulke was somehow more offensive than a salami on pumpernickel, it was that the record company didn't think the audience would know what a yarmulke was.

And now that I've researched it, I have to go find The Son of Irving.  In the meantime, long live the 142nd-fastest gun in the West.

Written By: Mushroom on 05/15/10 at 11:15 am

And now that I've researched it, I have to go find The Son of Irving.  In the meantime, long live the 142nd-fastest gun in the West.

I have long loved this song.  And I long ago lost my LP "When You're In Love, The Whole World's Jewish", I do have that song on MP3.  And here is one that I found that you might get a kick out of:

http://www.stinalisa.com/Irving.html

And I can understand why they company might have wanted it changed.  There have been many songs like that over the years, and they always loose a lot outside of Jewish areas.  Because the humor does not nessicarily translate well to those that have had no real exposure to Either Jewish culture or Yiddish.  I used to have several other similar LP's, including a wonderful Rhino one called "Kosher Club"

http://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/2007/12/365-days-342--.html

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/15/10 at 12:12 pm

1) 3:27: ...arguably the original, as it's the longest (has the extra verse, "...and Irving drew - drew a picture of a cow", as well as the 10 gallon yarmulke line.)
2) 2:48: "With a ten-gallon yarmulke on his head"
3) 2:48: "Schlepping a Salami and Pumpernickel bread"

Reference: The Ballad of Irving.  The punchline isn't that a 10-gallon yarmulke was somehow more offensive than a salami on pumpernickel, it was that the record company didn't think the audience would know what a yarmulke was.

I LOVE the Ballad of Irving. Haven't heard that in DECADES!!!

Cat

Written By: Paul on 05/19/10 at 6:50 am

I LOVE the Ballad of Irving. Haven't heard that in DECADES!!!

British audiences mostly never heard of it at all...apart from a chap named Benny Hill (yes, him!) who 'adapted' it as 'Ernie'...

Compare and contrast...

Big seller for him in Britain and other places and amazingly gained a release in the States years before he became famous...

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/19/10 at 9:05 pm

And I can understand why they company might have wanted it changed.  There have been many songs like that over the years, and they always loose a lot outside of Jewish areas.  Because the humor does not nessicarily translate well to those that have had no real exposure to Either Jewish culture or Yiddish.  I used to have several other similar LP's, including a wonderful Rhino one called "Kosher Club"

http://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/2007/12/365-days-342--.html

That link is pure awesome.  I last heard Fairfax Avenue on Dr. Demento, 20+ years ago.  I taped it because it was a good parody of Electric Avenue, and was pretty funny, even if most of the references flew straight past me until some 15 years later, when I found myself in a taxicab in LA and knew exactly where I was. 

British audiences mostly never heard of it at all...apart from a chap named Benny Hill (yes, him!) who 'adapted' it as 'Ernie'...

Compare and contrast...

Big seller for him in Britain and other places and amazingly gained a release in the States years before he became famous...

Wow.  I got much of my sense of humor from staying up late and watching Benny Hill with Dad, starting about as soon as I was old enough to get the jokes.  Mom always complained because she couldn't get to sleep with the two of us laughing so hard.  Had no idea he had a musical past before the TV show.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/23/10 at 5:36 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpPeQyT36Tg

So maybe it came out in the '50s, but it was STILL banned in the '60s!
8)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/28/10 at 3:57 pm

Compare and contrast...

I think I recall hearing that at some point.

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/16/10 at 11:58 pm

No referring to fornication:

"Let's spend the night together"

versus

"Let's spend some time together"

Furthermore, it's not even the lyrics, son, it's that Negro beat.  We can't play that over the airwaves in this part of the country. 

Well, when Mick Jagger shows up in Kansas and all you got to respond to him with is Bob Dole, then we've got your wife and your daughter and we're leaving!

Written By: hot_wax on 07/12/10 at 11:59 pm

In 1960 the Bobbetts re-released their original lyrics "I shot Mr. Lee" before this new version they sang the lyric "Look at Mr. Lee" as/per demand of Atlantic Records. The new versions went #1 on 2 charts the radio stations played both versions over the years.

Written By: hot_wax on 07/13/10 at 12:16 am

If I can remember correctly, the Beatles song "She's leaving home" the entire song was Banned in Boston due to it encouraged kids to run away from home.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/17/10 at 11:03 pm

If I can remember correctly, the Beatles song "She's leaving home" the entire song was Banned in Boston due to it encouraged kids to run away from home.

I can't even justify such an interpretation.  It's a terribly sad song sung from the parents' point of view.  

In the 1950s, the point of the Everly Brothers' "Wake Up Little Suzie" was the couple had slept through a bad movie and hadn't done anything...it's just that people were going to THINK they did something.  That too was banned in Boston.  Moral turpitude,or some such thing.

The there was "Louie Louie" from 1963, which the FCC banned because of the lyrics...even though nobody could figure out what they were.*

There is the original 1955 Richard Berry version.  The lyrics are published.  They are sung in a Caribbean pidgin dialect.  When you mix that with the drunken drawling sound of the The Kingsmen's version, you can hear all sorts of things if you listen hard enough!  Even if the original lyrics aren't dirty, maybe what those dirty kids are singing is!
8)

* "I felt my b*ner in her hair" versus "I felt my c*m all in her hair," etc.

Written By: Paul on 07/19/10 at 2:46 pm

More strange decisions, courtesy of our guardians of good taste...ye BBC...

For whatever reason, 'adaptations' of classical pieces were very much frowned upon back in the day and rather than an outright ban, the BBC just didn't play them (although back in the day, actually finding a BBC programme that played popular records on a regular basis was a rarity in itself!*)

To that end, Jackie Wilson's 'Night' never gained a UK release and, had he not been white-hot at the time, Elvis' 'It's Now Or Never' might have been doomed to the same fate...

Not that the rule was consistent...B. Bumble's 'Nut Rocker' had no such problems!

(* which led to the explosion of Pirate Radio, but that's another story...)

Check for new replies or respond here...