inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Things you got by saving S&H Green Stamps

Written By: zotsfreak on 12/16/05 at 10:38 am

Remember licking all those little green stamps and pasting them into the little books with your mother? I can remember the S&H store and being in there numerous times, but can only remember getting an electric buffer for hardwood floors. What things can you remember getting from S&H?

Subject: Re: Things you got by saving S&H Green Stamps

Written By: karen on 12/16/05 at 10:53 am

Not from S and h but I remember collecting Green Shield stamps in the UK.  I think it was Argos we could cash them in.  Wherever it was I know my first jewellery box (complete with spinning ballerina) was bought using the stamps. 

Another shop (Co-op) did their own savings stamps and my parents bought their first iron, haidrier and vacuum cleaner using them.  My mum also had a bank account with the Co-op and she would bank the stamp books into her account if there wasn' any major purchases needed.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/16/05 at 11:17 am

Can't remember what we got but we did save them.

Cat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/16/05 at 2:05 pm

same here.   

Thanks.  ;D (I am assuming you are talking about mine)

Cat

Written By: Marian on 12/16/05 at 3:39 pm

I think toys.I don't know what else.

Written By: gemini on 12/16/05 at 9:21 pm

We had Top Value Stamps here in Ohio. I don't remember what my mom got with them, I do remember sticking them in the booklets.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/16/05 at 10:05 pm

My mom saved the S&H Green and Blue Chip stamps but I don't remember what she redeemed them for.

Written By: GREEN67 on 12/16/05 at 10:39 pm

8)  WOW!! I completely forgot all about those stamps and books!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OH...My MOM had SOOOOOO many....I used to have to lick untill my tongue was numb!!...I remember lugging this HUGE bag in the redemption store here in Memphis..The store was on Poplar Ave....Mom got this Cannister Vacuumn...Electrolux....I think she saved for 5 yrs or something...she was SOOO happy!! I HATED that vacuumn!!...it weighed like 500 pounds!!!..LOLLLLLLLLL....

Written By: alyceclover on 12/17/05 at 12:34 am

we didn't get anything with them...used them to pay the oil company...that was 'round the corner...my job to take the stamps & cash to get the discount....Faraci Brothers had piles of coal that usta fall into my friends back yard...well, that's what I'd think of...the green stamps & piles of coal....think years later, I got a thermal blanket with them...or maybe it was that Mickey Mouse bedspread....

Written By: zotsfreak on 12/17/05 at 7:10 am

i think there was some other type of trading stamps around here, in addition to s&h but i dont think they were widely offered.  plus they didnt have the availability, amount or quality of products to turn them in for.  dont think it ever went anywhere with the public, unlike s&h.                                    you could redeem them for cash/credit??  wow.  i dont remember that.

In NY we had some as you describe, not widespread, etc. I only remember that they were red plaid colored. We always had a few kicking around, but I cannot remember ever geting enough to redeem.

Written By: belladonna on 12/18/05 at 2:37 am

This brings back memories.  My tongue is still a little sticky from licking all those stamps. ;)

I remember being allowed to redeem some for a string of pearls and a tennis racket.  Surprisingly I still have the pearls but got rid of the tennis racket a year or so ago.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/18/05 at 7:13 am

My parents use to purchase things to acquire these stamps I will have to ask Mum what was brought home.

Written By: w on 12/18/05 at 10:58 am

Trivia question;  do you remember what S  & H  stands for.  w.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/18/05 at 11:03 am

Trivia question;

Written By: w on 12/19/05 at 5:37 pm

Very good, most people have no idea that S&H was not the company name.  w.

Written By: Skippy on 12/19/05 at 6:41 pm

Others were B&B Green Stamp, E. F. MacDonald Plaid Stamp, Holden Trading Stamp, Eagle Stamp, Gift House Stamp, Stop&Save Stamp, Triple-S Blue Stamp, Gold Bond Stamp, King Korn Stamp, World Stamp, and Pot-O'-Gold Stamp.

Written By: AnnieBanannie on 12/19/05 at 8:37 pm

Did you guys know these still exist in the form of electronic Green Points?  I was born in '72 and remember seeing the stamps on the Brady Bunch as a kid, but they were never a part of my life.  When I moved to my present apartment a couple years ago, the closest supermarket to me turned out to be Foodtown, which gives you 10 Green Points for each dollar you spend.  When my dad came to visit me, he saw the sign "S & H Green Points" and exclaimed, "These are those old stamps!"

I recently reached 20,000 Green Points, and just ordered a new iron. 

The best part is that even if you don't have a participating supermarket near you, you can register and get an S&H account online and get Green Points through special portals to many online merchants (I have not tried this yet).  Here's the link for anyone interested:

www.greenpoints.com

AnneMarie

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/22/05 at 9:10 pm

Remember licking all those little green stamps and pasting them into the little books with your mother? I can remember the S&H store and being in there numerous times, but can only remember getting an electric buffer for hardwood floors. What things can you remember getting from S&H?
I remember S&H Green Stamps..our local Acme supermarkets as well as gas stations gave them out when my mom purchased stuff....I used to help put them in the little books..so many books got you certain things...we got a small portable TV.

Check for new replies or respond here...