inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Honour for 107-year-old veteran

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/16/05 at 12:34 pm

A 107-year-old World War I veteran has been given an honorary degree at the university he helped build.

Harry Patch, of Wells, received an Honorary Masters from the University of Bristol, where he worked 80 years ago.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bristol/4534214.stm

Subject: Re: Honour for 107-year-old veteran

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/16/05 at 10:07 pm

Amen to that. Very thought of the Univ. to do that. The man was born in 1898. that is the most amazing thing I've seen today. God bless him

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/17/05 at 7:54 am

Amen to that. Very thought of the Univ. to do that. The man was born in 1898. that is the most amazing thing I've seen today. God bless him
I had seen him featured on a BBC TV programme The Last Tommy.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/war/wwone/last_tommy_gallery.shtml

Written By: hot_wax on 12/20/05 at 12:57 pm

A 107-year-old World War I veteran has been given an honorary degree at the university he helped build.

Harry Patch, of Wells, received an Honorary Masters from the University of Bristol, where he worked 80 years ago.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bristol/4534214.stm

WOW! I wonder what song was number #1 when he was born?...

HW

Written By: cables on 12/20/05 at 1:35 pm

That was an excellent programme wasn't it? Very interesting and very hunbling. So sad that we're down to three left alive in this country now.

I remember Harry well from the programme. He was shown in a chocolate shop in Belgium buying two boxes of chocolates. He said one was for the staff in the home where he lives and the other for his girlfriend in the home (if I remember correctly she is a mere youngster of 92). The interviewer asked if his girlfriend has a sweet tooth and Harry laughed as he replied "I don't know. She may not have any!".

Live long and prosper Harry - we owe you everything.

Written By: FaultyDog on 12/20/05 at 3:13 pm

I remember seeing some parts of that programme.

That was an excellent programme wasn't it? Very interesting and very hunbling. So sad that we're down to three left alive in this country now.

Humbling is the right word. To think those men have survived two World Wars... and pretty soon there'll be no one left to tell us first hand about the first one.
Makes you wonder: if there's only three left in UK, how many are there left worldwide? :-\\

Written By: danootaandme on 12/23/05 at 6:20 am

Most everyone(I think) has "their war" and for me it is the First World War and the people who fought
it.  Bless him at 107, think of all he has seen.  Salute, and highest honors to him.

Written By: hot_wax on 12/24/05 at 3:44 am

Most everyone(I think) has "their war" and for me it is the First World War and the people who fought
it.

Written By: cables on 12/24/05 at 8:47 am

My father-in-law who passed away before I had the pleasure of meeting him served in World War I. He was born in Sicily in 1896 and came to the USA and became citizen in his teens joined the US Army when the the US joined the war, I think they were called the US soldier "Doughboys" then. He fought in France and Germany and was wounded in the forearm from a German hand gernade.

My Great Uncle was also injured by a German hand grenade, but I think it was probably in world war II. He lost an arm and an eye when the hand grenade hit him. I remember meeting  him. My mum says I can't possibly remember because I was only about four when he died, but meeting a man with only one arm and only one eye tends to stay with you.

My greatest wish for the future is that my children, grandchildren, etc. never have to fight in a world war.

Mark

Written By: hot_wax on 12/25/05 at 12:07 am

My Great Uncle was also injured by a German hand grenade, but I think it was probably in world war II. He lost an arm and an eye when the hand grenade hit him. I remember meeting

Check for new replies or respond here...