inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Anyone else here remember the Claymation cartoon 'Davey and Goliath' ?

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/26/05 at 7:56 pm

Am I the only one here who remembers the kids' show "Davey and Goliath" on television, usually on the weekends? It was sponsored by the Lutheran church, and created by Art Clokey of 'Gumby' fame....I liked the show as a kid...

I wonder if they did not inspire in some way, other Claymation stuff like 'Wallace and Gromit'....

Subject: Re: Anyone else here remember the Claymation cartoon 'Davey and Goliath' ?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/26/05 at 9:46 pm

I LOVE Davey & Goliath!!!!  Infact...Vaughn has 2 DVD's of episodes of the shows. I used to watch this when I was little...and now he totally loves watching it now.  I love when Goliath goes, "Ohhh Davey". :)

Subject: Re: Anyone else here remember the Claymation cartoon 'Davey and Goliath' ?

Written By: whistledog on 12/26/05 at 11:57 pm

I used to watch Davey and Goliath re-runs all the time when I was a kid

Some trivia:  If you watch the 2001 Horror movie "Frailty", you'll notice some scenes where the kids are watching Davey and Goliath

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/27/05 at 4:18 am

I love that Claymation type of animation...Clokey even did a Claymation NBC Peacock! Here's the link...http://www.gumbyworld.com/memorylane/peacock.htm

Written By: w on 12/27/05 at 10:19 am

I recently read that the church is going to produce some new shows with D&G. I don't remember any details of when they'll be out or how they'll be distributed.    W.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 12/27/05 at 10:58 am

I watched it when I was a little kid...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/27/05 at 11:05 am

I used to get up before anyone else in the house and turn on the t.v. really low so I wouldn't disturb anyone (yeah, even a a kid of 6 or 7, I tried to be courteous). With only 7 channels (we got the NYC channels) and some of them weren't on yet, that was the only thing that was on. Not my favorite show but as a young kid without much choice, that is what I watched in those wee hours of the morning until something better came on.

Cat

Written By: oneno on 12/27/05 at 1:51 pm

The show is still being aired on Saturdays at 11:00 Ctrl on TBN I have the vcr set for this TCM cartoon back alley and toonheads. The ELCA who owns the right of Davey and Goliath made a new Christmas special http://www.daveyandgoliath.org/that aired last year and again this year. They started a marketing campaign and actuall made some cool t-shirts with their original logo and pictures that I snatched up right away. They have a restored/remastered holiday dvd set toohttp://www.augsburgfortress.org/store/images/spacer.gif There is a running gag with ned flanders on the simpsons having their doorbell set using the davey & golath theme song

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 12/27/05 at 8:44 pm

I always thought the opening credits were kind of cool, where Davey would fire a model rocket into the air, it would zig-zag back and forth through the sky until the smoke from the rocket would spell out the title "Davey And Goliath," and then it would plummet back to earth and when it hit the ground it would (in a neat bit of claymation) turn into the symbol for the Lutheran Church ( which was a heart with a cross inside it). 

Written By: alyceclover on 12/27/05 at 11:03 pm

my schizophrenic nephew has a whole collection of 'Davey & Goliath' videos, may have watched one or two with him.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/28/05 at 6:38 pm

I think Claymation was as revolutionary in it's heyday as CGI stuff like Shrek is now. Both Claymation and CGI are really cool animation mediums...

BTW Gumby was cool too! Another Claymation character I remember fondly from childhood!

Written By: AnnieBanannie on 12/30/05 at 5:41 pm

Am I the only one here who remembers the kids' show "Davey and Goliath" on television, usually on the weekends? It was sponsored by the Lutheran church, and created by Art Clokey of 'Gumby' fame....I liked the show as a kid...

I wonder if they did not inspire in some way, other Claymation stuff like 'Wallace and Gromit'....

Yup, I remember it, and until I started receiving Communion training at age 9, I had no idea that the two names referred to anything other than a boy and his dog!  <lol>

Written By: zotsfreak on 01/02/06 at 6:14 am

I LOVE Davey & Goliath!!!!  Infact...Vaughn has 2 DVD's of episodes of the shows. I used to watch this when I was little...and now he totally loves watching it now.  I love when Goliath goes, "Ohhh Davey". :)

Loved that show soooo much!!
Goliath also had the foresight to see thatever what Davy was cooking up would have consequences and always gave his forboding warning: "I Don't Knowwwww, Davy!!!"

Some episides that I remember:

Davy nurses a mountain goat with a broken leg.
Soapbox derby with wheel falling off and with "Jake" the tucan bird.
Predjudiced African American boy with bandages eyes "see's the light" after Davey is a friend to him.
The "Scary episode".... "All Alone.... All Alone..... All Alone.... "  where Davy is the only person on earth.
The "Sad episode"  Davy's Grandma dies on the Easter weekend.
Davy doese'nt listen and takes his new ice skates out on thin ice (then loses one)

What others can you remember??

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/02/06 at 4:38 pm

Loved that show soooo much!!
Goliath also had the foresight to see thatever what Davy was cooking up would have consequences and always gave his forboding warning: "I Don't Knowwwww, Davy!!!"

Somepisides that I remember:

Davy nurses a mountain goat with a broken leg.
Soapbox derby with wheel falling off and with "Jake" the tucan bird.
Predjudiced African American boy with bandages eyes "see's the light" after Davey is a friend to him.
The "Scary episode".... "All Alone.... All Alone..... All Alone.... "  where Davy is the only person on earth.
The "Sad episode"  Davy's Grandma dies on the Easter weekend.
Davy doese'nt listen and takes his new ice skates out on thin ice (then loses one)

What others can you remember??

my favorite was the one where Davey fell down that mine because he wasn't listening when it said to stay out of there.

Written By: de410 on 01/03/06 at 5:05 pm

There was one with Davey's dad at the bowling alley, bowling perfect tens every time.  I can't remember the moral lesson.  Probably something about being a good loser.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/03/06 at 9:01 pm

There was one with Davey's dad at the bowling alley, bowling perfect tens every time.  I can't remember the moral lesson.  Probably something about being a good loser.

I remember that one, my little boy has it on his DVD. Davey's friends uncle or dad is a professional bowler...and Davey wants to take lessons to become good, but he gets upset because he doesn't become great at it overnight.

Subject: Re: I remember Davey and Goliath

Written By: Farley on 01/09/06 at 7:07 am

I remember the cartoon Davey and Goliath.  It aired in the New Hampshire area on Sunday mornings during the Boomtown show.  Does anyone remember the Major Mudd show which aired on weekday mornings?  I used to watch it before school and it would feature The Three Stooges some days but I think it also showed a series where these kids went into a rowboat and went through a cave or tunnel and when they came out on the other side they were in prehistoric times with dinosaurs?  I think it had the name "journey" in the name of it....

Written By: suzieq on 01/13/06 at 9:53 am

Oh boy do I remember that one. 

Before "cartoon network" and all the other cable shows, TV was basically three national channels (VHF frequency) and some local programs on UHF. Cartoons were only on after school and on saturday morning.

If you were a kid, there was almost NOTHING to watch on Sunday morning. No cartoons. But there was "Davy and Goliath", which reminded me of "Gumby and Pokey".  I never really liked "D & G" but it was THE ONLY THING a kid would find interresting on Sunday morning TV.

"Hey, let's steal some money out of Mom's purse."
"God's gonna be very angry with you, D-a-a-a-a-vy"

Written By: KKay on 01/13/06 at 10:03 am

Davey always got hurt and broke something and always was a sore loser.
my wee brain could not grasp why they talked about God in cartoons...they were for fun, weren't they?

Check for new replies or respond here...