inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Favorite Radio Stations/Deejays you listened to as a kid or teenager?

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/26/05 at 8:05 pm

Mine are:
'Doctor' Don Rose and Jim O' Brien(WFIL 560 AM out of Philadelphia)
Dan Ingram(WABC 77 AM New York)
Cousin Brucie(I remember him being on 66 WNBC AM New York)
All deejays on WMID 1340 out of Atlantic City NJ.....
I remember going over to my friend's house for sleepovers and listening to WMID or WFIL all night long!

Ahhh the days when AM Radio rocked.....

Subject: Re: Favorite Radio Stations/Deejays you listened to as a kid or teenager?

Written By: belladonna on 12/27/05 at 5:14 am

The "big two" radio stations in Chicago when I was a kid were WCFL and WLS and while they're were tons of deejays the ones that stand out in my memory are these:

WLS - Bob Sirott and John Records Landecker (his middle name really was Records. If memory serves it was his mother's maiden name)

WCFL - Joel Sebastian (who also worked at WLS for a time) and "King B" Ron Britain.

But the big Kahuna in Chicago radio was Larry Lujack who also worked at both stations at one time or another.

Subject: Re: Favorite Radio Stations/Deejays you listened to as a kid or teenager?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/27/05 at 11:11 am

Mine are:
I remember going over to my friend's house for sleepovers and listening to WMID or WFIL all night long!

I used to listen to Cousin Brucie on WABC out of NY. I also listened to Imus in the Morning (can't remember the radio station). In the Springfield, Mass area, there was an oldies station which had a dj name John Little and they called him "Big" John. (Yeah, "Big" John Little. Go figure).  I once saw him at the Big E and I realized why they called him "Big" John-because he was BIG! 

Cat

Written By: Marian on 12/27/05 at 9:35 pm

Dr.Donald D.Rose at KFRC in San Francisco ansd Wolfman Jack,who was syndicated.Sadly both have passed on.

Written By: micah on 12/28/05 at 4:18 pm

In Ft.Wayne,In. during the late 1960's most kids listened to 1450 WLYV.  Don Beckman and Chris O'Brien are two of the D.J.'s I remember.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/28/05 at 6:43 pm

Oops I forgot to mention WIBG-AM out of Philadelphia which played a lot of 'cutting-edge' rock bands in the early 1970's!

And of course WMMR-FM and WIOQ-FM in Philly, and in later years WYSP 94 FM also in Philly....

Written By: loki 13 on 01/01/06 at 12:42 pm

I listened to Michael Tearson on WIOQ.

I always got a kick out of Jerry Blavat,"The Geater With The Heater."

Written By: rogern on 02/26/06 at 12:44 am

Mine are:

I remember Cousie Brucie and "Big" Dan Ingram on WABC in the late 1950's One of their announcers would always remind sunbathers on the Connecticut and New York beaches Time to switch sides for their tanning. Does anyone remember these announcers from WBZ Boston-Jay Dunn, Dave Maynard, Carl DeSuze, Beach Blanket Bingo Bonanza contests announced by Bruce Bradley He would give prizes to people who called in and could say Bruce Bradleys Beach Blanket Bingo Bonanza fast and correctly five times. Any news of Jim Lowe of WNEW  New York ?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/26/06 at 3:15 am

Danny D - Great Falls, MT (1999-2000) K99

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 02/26/06 at 7:02 am

The college radio station from Brookdale Community College in Lincroft NJ...I forgot the call letters. When I went away to school in that area, I listened to that station because they played stuff like The Tubes, the Clash, Lou Reed/Velvet Underground, Patti Smith, Rory Gallagher(the first blues guitarist I really was into, Rory RIP), Kraftwerk, Jefferson Airplane, Grateful Dead, Frank Zappa, ELP, Yes, Procol Harum(they played more obscure stuff like 'Salty Dog' rather than just 'Conqistador' and 'Whiter Shade of Pale')Genesis when Peter Gabriel was their frontman...stuff that commercial radio was starting to shy away from.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 02/26/06 at 7:06 am

I listened to Michael Tearson on WIOQ.

I always got a kick out of Jerry Blavat,"The Geater With The Heater."
Do you remember WCAU "Oldies 98" before it went all Disco in the mid 70's? I think it's cool that it went back to oldies when the station changed to WOGL!

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 02/26/06 at 7:09 am

Dr.Donald D.Rose at KFRC in San Francisco ansd Wolfman Jack,who was syndicated.Sadly both have passed on.
We had a Dr. Don Rose on WFIL-AM in the 1960's...I wonder if he's the same guy you mention, because I think he left WFIL and the late Jim O'Brien took his place.

Written By: loki 13 on 02/26/06 at 9:45 pm

Do you remember WCAU "Oldies 98" before it went all Disco in the mid 70's? I think it's cool that it went back to oldies when the station changed to WOGL!

Yes,I remember WCAU.I really hated disco.I listen to WOGL now
because 'MGK plays the same old tired songs, 'YSP and 'MMR play
too much new crap.I can always listen to the oldies.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 02/28/06 at 6:03 pm

From birth to around 10: Basically what my parents listened to.
10 - 14: The local pop/top 40 radio station
14 - 20: Is when I started to get more into rock. Tuned into the local alternative rock station. The station died in 2005.
20 +: Nothing really. (Maybe the odd listen to the classic rock station or the Student radio station)

Written By: ADH13 on 02/28/06 at 6:18 pm

WPLJ and Z100, both in New York... oh yeah and of course WCBS 101

Written By: whistledog on 02/28/06 at 6:23 pm

The big ones around here locally was called 1380 AM CKLC and 960 CFOX.  The house I grew up in used to be owned by one of the DJ's from CFOX.  As well, the guy who lived next door to me did the sports casts for CFOX

Check for new replies or respond here...