inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What was the first 45 you bought?

Written By: zotsfreak on 01/11/06 at 6:29 am

Who remembers the first 45 that they bought? (those 7

Subject: Re: What was the first 45 you bought?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/11/06 at 12:58 pm

Who remembers the first 45 that they bought? (those 7

Written By: zotsfreak on 01/11/06 at 1:07 pm

When I first read the subject of this thread, I was thinking "which one was it" because I have very few 45, but Chick-a-Boom came to mind. Then I read your post and was totally floored.  :o :o But I don't think I bought it. I think that was one of the 45s that I "inherited" from one of my siblings. I have several "inherited" records. I still have it but haven't played it in a long time (haven't played any of my 1/2 dozen or so 45s)  There was another one that I got about the same time "Put your Hand in the Hand".

Cat

Hey Cat!
The other two I can remember are a little embarressing (however, I'm excused for being about 10 at the time!), but here goes- Indian Reservation (Paul Revere and the Raiders) and Harper Vallet PTA (Genie C. Riely).
Please admit that you had these also!! (or at least remember them!)
S

Written By: ADH13 on 01/11/06 at 1:08 pm

I think that would be "I'd Like To Teach The World To Sing"... I was only about 6 years old and apparently used to run around singing it all the time.  So my mom bought me the 45.

Written By: whistledog on 01/11/06 at 1:13 pm

The first 45 I ever bought was not until the late 90's.  It was the 1984 single "Wave Babies" by Honeymoon Suite.  I saw it in a flea market and just had to have it cause back in the day, that was one of my favourite songs :) 

http://www.vinyltap.co.uk/gallery/ho/honeywb4974281503101190.jpg

Written By: Paul on 01/11/06 at 1:15 pm

Yes, I 'inherited' some things from my very early days, but the one item I remember buying outright from my own cash was Andy Gibb's 'An Everlasting Love'...

...absolutely no idea why, but still a good song...

(...value for money too, as it had 'I Wanna Be Your Everything' and '(Love Is) Thicker Than Water' on the flip...)

Not long after, I raided my coffers again and bought my first LP (actually a double, which probably bankrupted me for a while...), 'Out Of The Blue' by ELO...(complete with impossible-to-put-together cardboard spaceship...whoo!)

Written By: zotsfreak on 01/11/06 at 1:19 pm

I think that would be "I'd Like To Teach The World To Sing"... I was only about 6 years old and apparently used to run around singing it all the time.  So my mom bought me the 45.

Lovely toon by the Hillside Singers. Are you old enough to remember the Coke commercial that used it as a Christmas greeting combination Coke sales Ad with the people singing it on a snowy hillside in the formation of a Christmas Tree holding candles?? It was a beautiful connercial

Written By: ADH13 on 01/11/06 at 1:22 pm

Lovely toon by the Hillside Singers. Are you old enough to remember the Coke commercial that used it as a Christmas greeting combination Coke sales Ad with the people singing it on a snowy hillside in the formation of a Christmas Tree holding candles?? It was a beautiful connercial

Vaguely... I think that is probably why I kept singing it.  I don't think they played it on the radio, and I don't remember singing it in school... so I must have gotten it from the commercial.  I don't really remember any details of the commercial though... :(

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 01/11/06 at 1:27 pm

Yes, I 'inherited' some things from my very early days, but the one item I remember buying outright from my own cash was Andy Gibb's 'An Everlasting Love'...

...absolutely no idea why, but still a good song...

(...value for money too, as it had 'I Wanna Be Your Everything' and '(Love Is) Thicker Than Water' on the flip...)

Wow!  All three hits on one 45 - that's amazing!!  :o 8)

Written By: Paul on 01/11/06 at 1:29 pm

Wow!  All three hits on one 45 - that's amazing!!  :o 8)

Heh! I say that with the benefit of hindsight...I didn't know the other two were hits at that time...!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/11/06 at 1:34 pm

Hey Cat!
The other two I can remember are a little embarressing (however, I'm excused for being about 10 at the time!), but here goes- Indian Reservation (Paul Revere and the Raiders) and Harper Vallet PTA (Genie C. Riely).
Please admit that you had these also!! (or at least remember them!)
S

Sorry to say, I don't have those. The two I have mentioned are the only ones that I have from the 60s-the rest are from the 70s and 80s. I do remember having an Archies' 45 I got from a ceral box but that was lost over the years. By the time I was "into" buying music-I went with albums.

Cat

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 01/11/06 at 1:41 pm

Heh! I say that with the benefit of hindsight...I didn't know the other two were hits at that time...!

That's really cool!  :)

Written By: alyceclover on 01/11/06 at 9:16 pm

ya know, I'm gonna have to do a search on the year, 'cause I bought 4 of them, the first time I bought a 45

Last Kiss by J Frank Wilson
Right or Wrong by Ronnie Dove

oh, maybe Birds & the Bees by Jewel Akin

talk about moldie oldies, I mean them, not me  8)

Written By: alyceclover on 01/11/06 at 9:22 pm

ya know, I'm gonna have to do a search on the year, 'cause I bought 4 of them, the first time I bought a 45

Last Kiss by J Frank Wilson
Right or Wrong by Ronnie Dove

oh, maybe Birds & the Bees by Jewel Akin

talk about moldie oldies, I mean them, not me  8)

well took a look and most likely the 4th was "1-2-3" by Len Barry.

Written By: karen on 01/12/06 at 6:39 am

I think it was Don't Stop Me Now by Queen but it might have been part shares with my brothers in something like The Goodies - Make a Daft Noise For Christmas.

Written By: jaytee on 01/12/06 at 6:40 am

One - Johnny Farnham
Penny Arcade - Roy Orbison

I still like Chick-A-Boom  :)

Written By: TheRemf on 01/12/06 at 3:29 pm

I did buy "Chick-A-Boom" on 45 back in '71.  I bought a lot of them, naturally, but can remember specifically gettting it, the Bells "Stay Awhile" and Lobo's "Me And You And A Dog Named Boo" at a Topeka discount store's record department back then.  My brother, Aaron, hated all 3.

And my very first 45 that I bought for myself ... .  I remember it, too - "Sugar, Sugar" by the Archies.

Written By: Hot Wax on 01/17/06 at 9:59 pm

When I first heard "Topsi Part Two" by Cozy Cole I had to have that record...NOW! but I just spent my weekly allowance ($1.00) the day after I got it, so I ran around the neighbohood picking up empty soda bottles and brought them back to the the grocery store for 2 and 5 cent refunds and managed to get 98 cents together that same day and purchased my first 45 record...

Hot Wax

Written By: ktelqueen on 01/17/06 at 10:02 pm

yep  ;D..and we had the '45  :)

mine was Pop Muzik by M

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/18/06 at 7:06 pm

first 45 I bought..."Knock Three Times" by Tony Orlando and Dawn

First really COOL 45 I ever bought..."Brown Sugar"/"Bitch" by the Stones...I was eleven years old at the time..my mom almost freaked out when she saw the title "Bitch" on the B side...but she let me keep the single because she knew it would be useless to try to stop me from listening to it....

Written By: loki 13 on 01/18/06 at 7:51 pm

The No-no song by Ringo Starr was my first 45

Written By: schmartypantz on 01/21/06 at 11:01 pm

can't rememer the very first, but I do remember buying Easier Said Than Done by the Essexs
:)

Written By: holicman on 01/23/06 at 6:27 am

Look through any window by the Hollies.

I bought it at a garage sale for 50 cents about 10 years ago :)

Check for new replies or respond here...