inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Your opinion on 'Our Gang' (Little Rascals)

Written By: Carl on 01/20/06 at 1:16 pm

I'm going WAY before the 70s on this. :D

I'm curious, I was never that big a fan of these movies, some were cute, but not ALL were that funny I think. Maybe some of you can see where I'm going with is, they tend to be a bit too mischevious, some things were a bit shaky as far as race and what not. I know, it was a different time period and Hal Roach was a great director. I just want to know your views.

Subject: Re: Your opinion on 'Our Gang' (Little Rascals)

Written By: Electric Youth on 01/20/06 at 2:11 pm

Didn't find it that funny (though Alfalfa's singing is classic), but better than some junk on TBS now ("Sex In The City", "Friends") ...  :)

It ran on AMC a few years ago until it changed it's format though.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/20/06 at 3:41 pm

I liked them. I thought they were cute. I haven't watched them in a long time but if I did now, I would probably be looking at the styles and such of the 30s rather then the storyline.

Cat

Written By: gord on 01/20/06 at 6:42 pm

I used to watch it when I came home from school, mid to late 70s and I don't think I've seen it since then. It would be fun to see an episode or two again. :)

Written By: Skippy on 01/20/06 at 7:33 pm

I thought it was OK, probably more-so when I was younger. I still catch an episode or two on the weekends. It still hasn't lost any of it's innocent charm, and beats the sleaze we now have hands down.

Written By: schmartypantz on 01/21/06 at 7:32 pm

I still like to see those short films. every one a classic.
I have a few on vhs that I've watched. fun stuff.

Alfala appears to have been shot to death in real life..
http://www.franksreelreviews.com/shorttakes/alfalfa/alfalfa.htm

Written By: schmartypantz on 01/21/06 at 10:47 pm

and who doesn't like Porky?

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/22/06 at 2:50 am

Wasn't their dog Petey a pit bull or a bull terrier?  I watched when i was little. Spanky was the leader of course, and Alfafa, Buckwheat, Stymie, Darla, Froggy, Butch, was there a tubby? and what was the kids name played by Robert Blake?  Darla was Alfafas girl. I would like to watch the episode where Alfafa sings the Barber of Seville, they used to put on shows for the neighborhood, quite a fun group of kids. The Little Rascals, and did the name change to Our Gang?

Written By: Carl on 01/23/06 at 1:12 pm

Wasn't their dog Petey a pit bull or a bull terrier?

Yes, he was. They were called 'Our Gang' originally, they had their first movies in the early 20s

Written By: danootaandme on 01/23/06 at 1:40 pm

I love the Little Rascals, Our Gang even better.  When they got to Froggy I didn't, but Dicky,Tubsy, Farina, Alfalfa, Buckwheat....  ;D

Written By: Carl on 01/23/06 at 1:52 pm

I love the Little Rascals, Our Gang even better.  When they got to Froggy I didn't

Those were in the early 40s by then, and it seemed like those movies had more a 'lesson of the day' theme then the usual mischief we were used to watching. I DID watch those on occasion too.

Written By: lorac614 on 01/24/06 at 8:49 am

I used to watch it all the time when I was a kid.  I haven't seen it in years.  A couple of my favorites are...Alfalfa and Darla going on a picnic and Spanky (I think???) makes soap sandwiches and when Alfalfa starts to sing bubbles come out of his mouth.  Another one was probably older, kids in an orphange and they make "milk" with plaster and they tell each other "Don't drink the milk, it's spoiled". 

As kids got older, it lost a bit of it's charm.  I would like to watch it now and then, but I don't know if any channels show it.

Written By: KKay on 01/24/06 at 9:50 am

and who doesn't like Porky?

cuuuute!
I loved robert blake's character, Scotty.
I really liked the show. When I was a child I never thought about the racial commentary; only that I wanted a wooden truck with a boxing glove attached so I could bonk passers by!
and that fire truck!

Check for new replies or respond here...