inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Are The Beach Boys gay?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/22/06 at 12:24 am

I think the Beach Boys are actually pretty good, albeit overrated, but there's so fruity!  But that kind of works to their benefit, because it makes them more melodic.

Besides, I like other fruity music too, like George Michael and Pet Shop Boys.

Subject: Re: Are The Beach Boys gay?

Written By: schmartypantz on 01/22/06 at 12:56 am

do you mean gay as in lame? or gay as in homosexual?

I don't either would apply.

dated perhaps, but I like to give a listen now and then. :)

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/22/06 at 1:00 am

As an 80's fan, my personal favorite is "Kokomo". This doesn't differentiate too much from their heyday, just more refined, and with an 80's pop-rock ballad feel.

I do think they had a certain "samey" sound to them, but it was fun. Classic summer music. My favorite heyday song of theirs is a tie between "I Get Around" and "Barbara Ann".

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/22/06 at 1:14 am

do you mean gay as in lame? or gay as in homosexual?

I don't either would apply.

dated perhaps, but I like to give a listen now and then. :)

Gay as in "homo".  :)

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/22/06 at 1:16 am

BTW, I'd classify them as "guilty pleasure" music. This isn't "gay" but it's in the realm - stuff you like but wouldn't want to get caught listening to.

Although Jesse from Full House likes 'em, so I have to give them credit, just for that. :)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/22/06 at 1:20 am

BTW, I'd classify them as "guilty pleasure" music. This isn't "gay" but it's in the realm - stuff you like but wouldn't want to get caught listening to.

Although Jesse from Full House likes 'em, so I have to give them credit, just for that. :)

The odd thing about the Beach Boys, though, is that to me, while they should be a guilty pleasure, I wouldn't be embarrassed caught listening to them because they're so popular, even today.  Unlike Human League or Cyndi Lauper, which I could not make an excuse for.

Written By: whistledog on 01/22/06 at 2:08 am

There is nothing wrong with the Beach Boys at'all.  I am a HUGE fan of their 80's stuff.  "Come Go Wth Me", "Getcha Back" and "Kokomo" are among some of the greatest songs of the 80's :)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/22/06 at 2:35 am

The early surfer music was the music I liked. I own Pet Sounds, but am not a huge fan of that "very important" album. I like to 60's tunes, makes me wanna get on a motorcycle and head to Malibu.    Are they gay? I don't need the answer to that question either musically or personally. but seriously, were they?  ;D

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 01/22/06 at 9:37 am

I think Mike Love is gay. I don't know if he's necessarily gay in the homosexual way, but when it comes to being lame his gayness is off the charts.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/22/06 at 10:58 am

I think Mike Love is gay. I don't know if he's necessarily gay in the homosexual way, but when it comes to being lame his gayness is off the charts.
  ;D funny

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/22/06 at 1:51 pm

Hey, his name is Mike Love.  Nuff said.

"Yeah we'll have FUN FUN FUN"

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/22/06 at 6:38 pm

Hey, the Beach Boys made one of the greatest albums of the 60's, Pet Sounds. And oh yeah, I listen to the Beach Boys from time to time...hey, I am old enough to remember them during the 60's, listening to songs like "Wouldn't It Be Nice","Good Vibrations","God Only Knows", "Sloop John B","Darlin" and all their 'car songs' on the radio as a kid...Nothing wrong with their music!

Written By: whistledog on 01/22/06 at 7:30 pm

Did anyone ever see the 1989 movie "Downtown" with Anthony Edwards and Forrest Whittaker?  IF you thought the Beach Boys were cool, just watch Anthony Edwards do a surf like dance and sing along with them  ;D

Written By: Albert (member DaBukaba) on 01/22/06 at 10:06 pm

The Beach Boys weren't gay -- they were of an innocent time.

Written By: Albert (member DaBukaba) on 01/22/06 at 10:08 pm

The Beach Boys weren't gay -- they were of an innocent time.

It's difficult to explain what I mean by that, but maybe you'll understand.

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 01/23/06 at 10:38 am

I think the Beach Boys are actually pretty good, albeit overrated, but there's so fruity!  But that kind of works to their benefit, because it makes them more melodic.

Besides, I like other fruity music too, like George Michael and Pet Shop Boys.
The Beach Boys weren't gay, but when it comes to sexual references in songs, Jan and Dean were way, way, way ahead of their time. They were singing about the joys of menage a trois clear back in 1963! Don't believe me? Just look at one of their biggest hits, "Surf City." How does that song begin, right off the bat?

Everybody, now:

"TWO GIRLS FOR EVVVVVVVVV--'RY BOY!!!"

What else could they have possibly meant by that?!? That line embodies the very spirit of rock music, because what's more rock 'n roll than getting two chicks in the sack at the same time?  And because of this one line, I think that Jan and Dean deserve immediate induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. They were true visionaries whose true genius has gone almost completely unnoticed. But they didn't get past me. I know what they're really talking about.  ;)

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 01/23/06 at 10:51 am

Actually, now that I think about it, the Beach Boys weren't gay...they were bisexual! As proof of this, I offer as evidence their 1965 hit, "Barbara Ann." If you listen to the chorus really carefully, they weren't really singing "Barbara Ann" at all...what they were actually singing was "Bob Or Ann." And I think they definitely leaned towards Bob, because they mention his name 5 times as much as Ann's.

How the song REALLY went was:

CHORUS

Bob, Bob, Bob...Bob, Bob or Ann!

Bob or Ann, ta-ake my hand
Bob or Ann
You got me rockin' and a-rollin'
Rockin' and a-reelin',
Bob or Ann!

I'm on to them. 

Written By: Carl on 01/23/06 at 11:29 am

Are The Beach Boys gay?

No, in my view, and as a huge BB fan, I don't buy it.

Written By: Paul on 01/23/06 at 12:52 pm

The odd thing about the Beach Boys, though, is that to me, while they should be a guilty pleasure

Would you kindly explain what you mean by those last seven words?

The Beach Boys are not (and never will be) a 'guilty pleasure'...

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/23/06 at 12:53 pm

Actually, now that I think about it, the Beach Boys weren't gay...they were bisexual! As proof of this, I offer as evidence their 1965 hit, "Barbara Ann." If you listen to the chorus really carefully, they weren't really singing "Barbara Ann" at all...what they were actually singing was "Bob Or Ann." And I think they definitely leaned towards Bob, because they mention his name 5 times as much as Ann's.

How the song REALLY went was:

CHORUS

Bob or Ann, ta-ake my hand
Bob or Ann
You got me rockin' and a-rollin'
Rockin' and a-reelin',
Bob or Ann!

I'm on to them. 

Yeah Bi makes sense ... they sing about California girls but like the dudes too  ;D

The Beach Boys weren't gay, but when it comes to sexual references in songs, Jan and Dean were way, way, way ahead of their time. They were singing about the joys of menage a trois clear back in 1963! Don't believe me? Just look at one of their biggest hits, "Surf City." How does that song begin, right off the bat?

Everybody, now:

"TWO GIRLS FOR EVVVVVVVVV--'RY BOY!!!"

What else could they have possibly meant by that?!? That line embodies the very spirit of rock music, because what's more rock 'n roll than getting two chicks in the sack at the same time?  And because of this one line, I think that Jan and Dean deserve immediate induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. They were true visionaries whose true genius has gone almost completely unnoticed. But they didn't get past me. I know what they're really talking about.  ;)

That's why I get annoyed when people talk about old time rock and roll as being "innocent".  Sure it's not as obviously crass as modern rap, but it's the closest equivalent for it's day.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/23/06 at 12:54 pm

Would you kindly explain what you mean by those last seven words?

The Beach Boys are not (and never will be) a 'guilty pleasure'...

Because they're cheesy.  They have great melodies, but they're so fruity  ;D

Written By: Paul on 01/23/06 at 12:59 pm

Because they're cheesy.  They have great melodies, but they're so fruity  ;D

Do yourself a favour...

Get hold of and listen to a copy of 'Pet Sounds'...

...and then see if you can find the 'cheese' in that!

Written By: danootaandme on 01/23/06 at 1:45 pm

I always thought of the Beach Boys as basically an upper middle class version of a bad boy thing.  Surfers, hot rods, and fun fun fun.  :P    The only song they did that I really like is "Darlin'"  and it was years before I knew it was them, I thought it was a Four Seasons song.

Written By: witchain on 01/23/06 at 2:18 pm

AL-Bee,
That is halarious! Funny stuff.
I have never really cared much for The Beach Boys, but gay surf rock did inspire some great bands.
The Pixies were one of them.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/23/06 at 2:49 pm

Do yourself a favour...

Get hold of and listen to a copy of 'Pet Sounds'...

...and then see if you can find the 'cheese' in that!

Is "Pet Sounds" the Holy Grail or something?  ;D

Written By: schmartypantz on 01/23/06 at 10:17 pm

I truly believe Pet Sounds is way over rated. but I know that many think it to be the finest of albums. I have no problem with that. I just don't agree.

Written By: Paul on 01/24/06 at 7:45 am

Is "Pet Sounds" the Holy Grail or something?  ;D

Possibly...

...but it's certainly free of 'cheese'...

Written By: spaceace on 01/24/06 at 12:57 pm

If the Beach Boys as a group were "homos", how does one explain Wendy and Carnie Wilson.  As for Mike Love who know.  The Beach Boys were great for the whole Southern Cal beach/surfing scene. (Which gave birth to the ill fated beach movies)  But as most musician do they grew up.  The album "Pet Sounds" is one of the definative albums of the 60's.  :)

Written By: McDonald on 01/25/06 at 12:20 pm

The odd thing about the Beach Boys, though, is that to me, while they should be a guilty pleasure, I wouldn't be embarrassed caught listening to them because they're so popular, even today.  Unlike Human League or Cyndi Lauper, which I could not make an excuse for.

Excellent point. I love the Beach Boys, and I'm not ashamed to be listening to them when other people are around. Whereas I would not broadcast to the world that when I'm alone I'm jamming to Missing Persons, Madonna, Wilson Philips, Joni Mitcell, etc...

In the 60's, however, the Beach Boys were one of the few poppy bands that had just as many, if not more, male fans as they did females. It's just great music; great American music. Not as good as the Beatles, but good.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/25/06 at 12:23 pm

Excellent point. I love the Beach Boys, and I'm not ashamed to be listening to them when other people are around. Whereas I would not broadcast to the world that when I'm alone I'm jamming to Missing Persons, Madonna, Wilson Philips, Joni Mitcell, etc...

In the 60's, however, the Beach Boys were one of the few poppy bands that had just as many, if not more, male fans as they did females. It's just great music; great American music. Not as good as the Beatles, but good.

The Beach Boys to me have the same appeal as Maroon 5; cheesy and upbeat, but geniusly melodic and catchy.  The Beach Boys aren't exactly a band to take seriously, but just to have "Fun, Fun, Fun" listening to.

Written By: McDonald on 01/25/06 at 12:29 pm

The Beach Boys to me have the same appeal as Maroon 5; cheesy and upbeat, but geniusly melodic and catchy.  The Beach Boys aren't exactly a band to take seriously, but just to have "Fun, Fun, Fun" listening to.

No no. Bad comparison. Maroon 5 is awful. Beach Boys are timeless, and their album Pet Sounds was wildly influential. It was the inspiration for Sgt. Pepper's and this is coming straight from McCartney himself.

Written By: Tia on 01/25/06 at 12:51 pm

i remember in 88 for whatever perverse reason a friend of mine and i went to the george bush sr. inauguration here in washington and the beach boys played it. so if they're gay they're hiding it pretty well.

(i know, i know, the republicans are supposed to be gay-friendly now but i find it rather suspect -- they pretty much have that one gay log-cabin guy and other than that, they still seem to pretty much not like gay people.)

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 01/26/06 at 7:52 pm

Mike Love is a pole smoker.

Written By: DaBukaba on 01/26/06 at 8:53 pm

Mike Love is a pole smoker.

You have no proof of that. (Not that there's anything wrong with someone being gay, but I'm just saying.)

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 01/27/06 at 9:48 am

You have no proof of that. (Not that there's anything wrong with someone being gay, but I'm just saying.)
I'm joking, of course.  However, I do think Mike Love is a complete a--hole.  And I can find all kinds of proof for that.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/27/06 at 3:11 pm

I'm joking, of course.  However, I do think Mike Love is a complete a--hole.  And I can find all kinds of proof for that.

Do you wipe the a-hole Mike Love with the teepee of the Beatles?  ;D

Written By: Carl on 01/31/06 at 10:11 am

However, I do think Mike Love is a complete a--hole.  And I can find all kinds of proof for that.

Seriously though, what proof? I know he and Brian Wilson really don't speak anymore from an interview I read the Wilson gave.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/31/06 at 7:33 pm

To me, Brian Wilson and his songwriting helped make the Beach Boys popular. They were an American band who had some pretty stiff competition from bands like The Beatles..and I remember hearing that Brian Wilson was the main creative influence with the Pet Sounds album. 

Written By: danootaandme on 02/01/06 at 6:49 am

They were an American band who had some pretty stiff competition from bands like The Beatles..

???  No,  I'm sure that if you delve into this, and you don't have to go too deep, you will find that the Beatles
far outstrip the Beach Boys.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 02/03/06 at 6:28 pm

???   No,  I'm sure that if you delve into this, and you don't have to go too deep, you will find that the Beatles
far outstrip the Beach Boys.
Yeah, but are you saying the Beach Boys did not have their brilliant moments...such as Pet Sounds?

Written By: jackas on 02/05/06 at 2:24 am

I think the Beach Boys 100% completely suck!!!  A bunch of grown men singing "Fun Fun Fun" and "Surfing USA" in soprano. ::)  They are sooooo gay........but probably not in a homosexual way. 

I wouldn't worry about what anyone else thinks because we all like music that is a little embarrassing.  I like Kenny Loggins......that's kind of embarrassing. ;D

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/05/06 at 3:16 am

Yeah, but are you saying the Beach Boys did not have their brilliant moments...such as Pet Sounds?

Again, Pet Sounds = Manna of God  ;D

Written By: Tia on 02/06/06 at 1:30 pm

I think the Beach Boys 100% completely suck!!!  A bunch of grown men singing "Fun Fun Fun" and "Surfing USA" in soprano. ::)  They are sooooo gay........but probably not in a homosexual way. 

I wouldn't worry about what anyone else thinks because we all like music that is a little embarrassing.  I like Kenny Loggins......that's kind of embarrassing. ;D

i like abba.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 02/07/06 at 1:08 am

Again, Pet Sounds = Manna of God  ;D
Hey look, I love that album. That's why I always find myself defending the Beach Boys. I don't like all their music...and I would say the same thing about the Beatles and Sgt. Pepper...

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/07/06 at 1:45 am

Hey look, I love that album. That's why I always find myself defending the Beach Boys. I don't like all their music...and I would say the same thing about the Beatles and Sgt. Pepper...

Nah, it's in good taste.

I actually like the Beach Boys, just not as much as most people.

Written By: spaceace on 02/21/06 at 9:16 am

Every freeken year on the 4th of July the Beach Boys end up playing a concert in Washington D.C. (I heard it free, but donations are appreciated) And every freeken year they have a guest drummer, who doesn't know how to play the drums.  >:( Sorry, had to vent! :)

Written By: Tia on 02/21/06 at 9:19 am

that's doubly bogus because how good at drums do you have to be to play with the beach boys? it's not exactly Rush.

Written By: spaceace on 02/21/06 at 9:22 am

They had John Stamos do it one year.  It's like a really, really, lame attempt at publicity.  Sorry, rather see the Monkees! :)

Written By: gmann on 02/22/06 at 12:52 pm

I gotta come to the defense of the Beach Boys. While I wouldn't consider myself a fanatic, I *do* appreciate Brian Wilson's finer moments, be they "Pet Sounds" or more overlooked works like "Sunflower". In fact, I would go out on a limb and say that the BB's music circa 1967 thru about 1974 was just as interesting as their better-known stuff from the mid-60s. The problem they had post-"Pet Sounds" was the hipper-than-thou crowd that hated anything that didn't sound like Cream or Traffic...not that there's anythign wrong with Messrs. Clapton/Winwood, but you know what I mean.

Gay? The BB's music may come across as naive or even annoying to some, but I love vocal harmonies and finely crafted songwriting. If that make *me* gay, then count me in.  ;) Beach Boys = not gay. 

Written By: cables on 02/25/06 at 12:28 pm

I don't understand why you feel that way Marty - I like The Beach Boys and I don't care who knows it! Although I have to say that I consider Pet Sounds very over-rated - I'm glad I borrowed it instead of buying it - one listen was definitely enough!

Were they gay? Well as they were related I think it statistically unlikely that they were all gay. And if any/all of therm were - who cares?

Written By: Alex on 04/11/08 at 5:29 pm

I always thought of the Beach Boys as basically an upper middle class version of a bad boy thing.  Surfers, hot rods, and fun fun fun.  :P    The only song they did that I really like is "Darlin'"  and it was years before I knew it was them, I thought it was a Four Seasons song.

Actually, the Wilson brothers grew up in a blue-collar, LOWER middle class family in Hawthorne, CA-not exactly the Hamptons or Beverly Hills. Their father was a machine shop operator, and was also an alcoholic who routinely abused his kids. And people wonder why Brian ended up like he did. Mike Love was pumping gas for a living, at 20 years old, already with a wife and kid, when he was asked to join the Beach Boys. They became millionaires after they hit it big, and eventually bought places in Bel Air, Beverly Hills, Hollywood, etc. But they did not grow up in that environment.

Dennis was the only real "bad boy" in the group. The surfing, hot rods, etc., was inspired by him.

Check out SMiLE for some mind-blowing music. The albums Smiley Smile, Wild Honey, Friends, 20/20, Sunflower, Surf's Up, Carl and the Passions, Holland, and Love You are pretty good. The Beach Boys were an excellent live band in the early 70s under the musical leadership of Carl Wilson and counterculture-friendly career direction from manager Jack Reiley. With the addition of South African musicians Blondie Chaplin and Ricky Fataar, the Beach Boys started to really rock. Dennis Wilson's songwriting was easily the equal of his brother Brian's, and really helped out their late 60s/early 70s albums. The Beach Boys had transformed into a really excellent, artistically progressive group, but then all of a sudden, after a compilation of their early surf/car/beach hits called Endless Summer came out in 1974, the popularity of their early hits skyrocketed and no one was really caring about their really good recent stuff. They decided to stop being "progressive" (no, they never played prog rock) and turned into a cheesy oldies band almost overnight. Dennis would still be writing good music after this, but instead of giving his songs to the group, he put out a top-notch solo album called Pacific Ocean Blue, and was 85% finished with a second solo album when he died.
Great news: Pacific Ocean Blue is being reissued this May, with the 2nd solo album, Bambu, previously only available on bootlegs, as a 2nd bonus disc. Hell yes!!!

Written By: MrCleveland on 04/11/08 at 5:41 pm

Hell no, Brian Wilson is a genius.

After the Brian Wilson years, then yes, they were gay!

Written By: Alex on 04/11/08 at 5:48 pm

Hell no, Brian Wilson is a genius.

After the Brian Wilson years, then yes, they were gay!

Carl and Dennis were still pretty good. Unless you're talking about in the 80s, then yes you might be right if you mean lame and not homosexual. 1980 onward brought some of the worst music ever from the Boys. I will never forgive Mike Love (aka the Lovester, aka My Glove) for making that piece of sh-- Summer in Paradise.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 04/11/08 at 6:57 pm

on the beach performing while surrounded by chicks shaking their butt's in bikini's and adoring and worshipping you = not gay. they are living legends. not quite Beatles status, but they're up there pretty high.

Lady Di owns Sounds Of Summer - The Very Best Of The Beach Boys on vinyl  8) which is very cool, 30 songs or so, and every one of them good.  tons of hits.  I'm partial to a couple songs "Don't Worry Baby",  "Wouldn't It be Nice" "Good Vibrations" "Surfin' U.S.A." and "God Only Knows" 

Written By: whistledog on 04/11/08 at 7:57 pm

My favourite Beach Boys song is still 'Lady Lynda' from 1979

Written By: Alex on 04/12/08 at 1:20 am

on the beach performing while surrounded by chicks shaking their butt's in bikini's and adoring and worshipping you = not gay. they are living legends. not quite Beatles status, but they're up there pretty high.

Lady Di owns Sounds Of Summer - The Very Best Of The Beach Boys on vinyl  8) which is very cool, 30 songs or so, and every one of them good.  tons of hits.  I'm partial to a couple songs "Don't Worry Baby",  "Wouldn't It be Nice" "Good Vibrations" "Surfin' U.S.A." and "God Only Knows" 

They've also got a lot of good songs that never ended up on Sounds of Summer. The Trader, Forever, Cool Cool Water, Girls on the Beach, Surf's Up, Wonderful, Wind Chimes, Long Promised Road, just to name a few.

Written By: cables on 04/12/08 at 9:15 am

What an appropriate time for this topic to be updated - I'm going to see them in Manchester tonight. I'll give you a report on how good it is tomorrow.

Written By: cables on 04/20/08 at 2:34 pm

OK, by "tomorrow" I actually meant a week tomorrow!

They were superb. Speaking as an ex-drummer, the drummer they had with them could certainly play!

They were on for over two hours with a 20 minute break. There was barely enough gap for applause between songs. Occasionally they would talk to the audience, but mostly it was finish one song then start another.

Were they gay? Perhaps this comment from Mike Love will answer that question: "We're going to dedicate this next song to the lovely ladies in the audience. This is The Beach Boys, not The Village People".

Marty: a guilty pleasure? I wore my new Beach Boys tee shirt with pride at the gym last weekend!

I had a Homer Simpson moment at the merchandise stall: Did I say that or think it? Pet Sounds is supposed to be The Beach Boys' Sgt Pepper. I borrowed it from someone at work some years ago and was very glad I'd borrowed it and not bought it. I really didn't like it and don't understand what the fuss is about. It was my son's birthday the day before the concert. He's in the school band and they play several Beach Boys songs, so while I was buying my tee shirt my wife was showing him the CDs in case he wanted to spend some of his birthday money on one that had songs he knew on it. As I was handing over my money I heard my wife saying "Have you seen this one? Pet Sounds". I turned to my son and said "You don't want to buy Pet Sounds - it's crap". I immediately realized the the merchandise stall at a Beach Boys concert may not be the best place to stand when describing Pet Sounds as crap!

If they come back next year, I'll be there again.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 04/20/08 at 11:53 pm

They've also got a lot of good songs that never ended up on Sounds of Summer. The Trader, Forever, Cool Cool Water, Girls on the Beach, Surf's Up, Wonderful, Wind Chimes, Long Promised Road, just to name a few.
I only have Pet Sounds on CD and The Sounds of Summer on vinyl, and am drawing a blank on those songs you mentioned, but I'd be interested in getting a complete Beach Boys anthology on CD. The song "Feel Flows" was used in the movie Almost Famous and it's a good song, really good & I've got no idea what album it released on back in 1973, I think.  ???

OK, by "tomorrow" I actually meant a week tomorrow!

They were superb. Speaking as an ex-drummer, the drummer they had with them could certainly play!

They were on for over two hours with a 20 minute break. There was barely enough gap for applause between songs. Occasionally they would talk to the audience, but mostly it was finish one song then start another.

Were they gay? Perhaps this comment from Mike Love will answer that question: "We're going to dedicate this next song to the lovely ladies in the audience. This is The Beach Boys, not The Village People".

Marty: a guilty pleasure? I wore my new Beach Boys tee shirt with pride at the gym last weekend!

I had a Homer Simpson moment at the merchandise stall: Did I say that or think it? Pet Sounds is supposed to be The Beach Boys' Sgt Pepper. I borrowed it from someone at work some years ago and was very glad I'd borrowed it and not bought it. I really didn't like it and don't understand what the fuss is about. It was my son's birthday the day before the concert. He's in the school band and they play several Beach Boys songs, so while I was buying my tee shirt my wife was showing him the CDs in case he wanted to spend some of his birthday money on one that had songs he knew on it. As I was handing over my money I heard my wife saying "Have you seen this one? Pet Sounds". I turned to my son and said "You don't want to buy Pet Sounds - it's crap". I immediately realized the the merchandise stall at a Beach Boys concert may not be the best place to stand when describing Pet Sounds as crap!

If they come back next year, I'll be there again.
great review cables. Sounds like the concert was worth the money, & you're right that the tee shirt/souvenir stand was not a good place for you to critique Pet Sounds"  ;D  still a funny story though. my wife loves the Beach Boys and if they come around, I may spring for a couple of tix, after seeing how good a time you guys had.
& of course they're not gay, I think the thread title must be a joke just to get conversation going.  ::)

Written By: danootaandme on 04/23/08 at 4:21 pm

on the beach performing while surrounded by chicks shaking their butt's in bikini's and adoring and worshipping you = not gay. 

Well, not always...I still haven't gotten over Rock Hudson 

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 04/23/08 at 6:31 pm

Well, not always...I still haven't gotten over Rock Hudson 
true, one never knows. I really liked Rock too, especially in The Martian Chronicles, Man's Favorite Sport and Pretty Maids All In A Row, and McMillan and Wife. I didn't know Freddie Mercury was gay until I saw him in drag on a video.  each to his/her own.

Written By: VegettoVa90 on 05/14/08 at 8:14 am

I don't like them, I don't care what anybody thinks, they're music is obnoxious and gave a bad name to American music until the psychedelic movement changed that.

The Beach Boys were lame-asses

Written By: whistledog on 05/14/08 at 8:15 pm

I don't like them, I don't care what anybody thinks, they're music is obnoxious and gave a bad name to American music until the psychedelic movement changed that.

Seeing that you were born in 1990, this answer comes as no surprise ::)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/14/08 at 11:22 pm

how were they lame and obnoxious? IMO, their music is relaxing and reminds me of summer.

Written By: cables on 05/17/08 at 7:39 am

they're music is obnoxious

I don't understand that comment. I like lots of music and I also dislike lots of music. I wouldn't describe music as "obnoxious" just because I didn't like it. I need a better reason than that.

The only music I would describe as obnoxious is music that encourages drug use or gun crime. Why do you think the Beach Boys' music is obnoxious?

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/27/08 at 1:51 am

Well, yes and no.

There were two different factions in the Beach Boys, namely Mike Love vs. Brian Wilson. Brian Wilson was one of the great composers in rock history, even Paul McCartney would attest to that. Unfortunately he fried his brain from too much LSD and he wasn't really the same after that. He strived for a more experimental sound, but Mike Love (the lead singer, and one of the biggest douchebags in rock history) heavily discouraged Brian from changing their sound and succeeded in turning the Beach Boys into the first nostalgia/oldies acts before the Sixties were over.

I challenge you to find a more hauntingly beautiful pop song than "Don't Worry Baby."

Written By: greenjello74 on 08/22/08 at 7:50 pm

I always liked "Surfs up" from 71 Disney Girls and Don't go near the water.(what I consider post surfer Beach Boys)

But Brian Wilson was the genius behind them. I love In my room. I think it gves us a peek inside what was going on inside his head. And I can relate to the lyrics.

Written By: Shacks Train on 09/09/08 at 1:25 am

Paul Williams took a shot at them in Phantom of the paradice......
The Juicy Fruits

Written By: IanG on 09/17/08 at 5:32 pm

I didn't know Freddie Mercury was gay until I saw him in drag on a video.  each to his/her own.

If you mean the 'I Want To Break Free' video, did you also notice that the rest of the band were also in drag?
Whatever could that mean?  :)

Written By: greenjello74 on 10/06/08 at 8:34 pm

If you mean the 'I Want To Break Free' video, did you also notice that the rest of the band were also in drag?
Whatever could that mean?  :)

I thought Freddie was bi.. I don't care I saw them in 1977 and they rocked. Thin Lizzy opened for them. That was a great show.
The video for Bohemian Rhapsody was shot during that tour. Everytime I se it it reminds me of that concert.

Written By: Claybricks on 10/06/08 at 9:18 pm

Beach Boys - Sail On Sailor {1973}

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_iXNI2A418

Dan

Written By: greenjello74 on 10/07/08 at 1:33 am

Beach Boys - Sail On Sailor {1973}

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_iXNI2A418

Dan

Really good Beach boys song I had forgotten about.

Check for new replies or respond here...