inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Misheard song lyrics

Written By: Carl on 01/26/06 at 11:48 am

How mamy times has this happened to you? LOL!! We think a song goes a certain way, we sing to it, using what the words we think we hear, then when you finally get the record and look at the lyrics on the sleeve, you find out 'oh, THAT'S how it goes. I have a few examples:

Dire Straits- 'Money for nothing' song- I always thought the lyrics were 'money for nothing and your checks for free' then I learn it's chicks for free'

This next one I got the song TITLE wrong! It was from a 60s group called the Jarmels, th esong was A little bit of soap I thought it was SOUL not SOAP.

It's so easy to get this stuff wrong!  :D

Subject: Re: Misheard song lyrics

Written By: ADH13 on 01/26/06 at 11:54 am

How mamy times has this happened to you? LOL!! We think a song goes a certain way, we sing to it, using what the words we think we hear, then when you finally get the record and look at the lyrics on the sleeve, you find out 'oh, THAT'S how it goes. I have a few examples:

Dire Straits- 'Money for nothing' song- I always thought the lyrics were 'money for nothing and your checks for free' then I learn it's chicks for free'

This next one I got the song TITLE wrong! It was from a 60s group called the Jarmels, th esong was A little bit of soap I thought it was SOUL not SOAP.

It's so easy to get this stuff wrong!  :D

I remember alot of people getting Men At Work's "Down Under" wrong... I know that's 80's but you listed an 80's song too... so I figured I would stick that in here.

You better run, you better take cover  <--correct

You better run, you better take the bus
You better run, you better think some more
You better run, you better take the dog

are just a few ways I can remember people singing it.

Written By: star500 on 01/27/06 at 7:52 am

I just thought of a few misheard lyrics I've heard, some of them are after the 1970's though:

"What a feeling....being's believing, I can have it it all now I'm dancing for my life...take your pants down...and make it happen..." (Flashdance (What a Feeling) by Irene Cara, the real lyrics are "take your passion...and make it happen..." ;D)

"Last night I dreamt of some bagels...." (La Isla Bonita by Madonna, the real lyrics are "Last night I dreamt of San Pedro..."

"Hold him in his armchair you can feel his disease..." (Come Together by the Beatles, the real lyrics are "Hold him in his arms, yeah you can feel his disease...")

"There's a bathroom on the right..." (Bad Moon Rising by Creedance Clearwater Revival, the real lyrics are "There's a bad moon on the rise..."

Those are just some, I'm sure if I really thought about it, I could come up with more :)

Written By: karen on 01/27/06 at 8:03 am

there's a ton of them here

Written By: KKay on 01/27/06 at 8:13 am

I just recently heard "Love the one you're with" and I recall I thought Stephen Stills sang, "and the eagle flies with the dove...and if you're Aunt Bea's with the one you love, honey, love the one you're with"

It's not about Mayberry!

Written By: w on 01/31/06 at 8:07 pm

The first couple times I heard THE EVIL WOMAN, I thought they were saying,Stevie's a woman. I couldn't figure out what they were talking about!  W

Check for new replies or respond here...