inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: For those who say they dislike 60's music...why?

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/31/06 at 11:13 pm

I am just wondering why some people here don't like the music of the 1960's...I like a lot of it, but I like it because I grew up in the 60's and that was the music my older sister played, and I have a lot of good memories that come back when I listen to music from the era....also I had a radio and sometimes I'd keep it on all night(softly so the grownups didn't know)just to catch the 'cool stuff'...

What era in music do you enjoy or have fond memories of?

Subject: Re: For those who say they dislike 60's music...why?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/01/06 at 4:12 pm

It's fine, but not exactly my cup of tea.  The Beatles and Beach Boys are pretty good.

Written By: Banks on 02/01/06 at 5:58 pm

Personally I prefer 1970's and early 80's (to 1984) music...BUT, I also LOVE the music of the late 1960's. I especially like Woodstock and the music from around that time (1967 to 1970). I also love the Motown songs from the 1960's, and, strangely enough, Elvis Presely's songs from the 60's as well.

How anyone could dislike the music of the 60's is a wonder to me. Its all good pretty much. Though, like I said, I prefer the 70's.

AN

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 02/01/06 at 6:05 pm

It's not that I don't like it, much of it just isn't my thing. It's probably more of a generation thing, seeing as I grew up during the 90s/00s I wasn't exposed to it too much.

Like the poster above said, why would anyone just rule out a whole era of music?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/01/06 at 6:13 pm

My era of preference is the 70's...but I also like music from every other era as well.

Written By: ADH13 on 02/01/06 at 6:59 pm

The 60's is a pretty broad definition of a music style... I mean, you've got everything from Peter Paul & Mary to The Four Tops to The Beatles to Jimi Hendrix... it seems kind of hard to just dislike "60's music" without being more specific.

I like most of the 60's music, but the Woodstock type stuff isn't really my thing.. Janis Joplin's voice annoys me and so does Bob Dylan's... Joan Baez is ok but doesn't really catch my attention.

I love the Motown stuff, the doo-wop style early 60's stuff and the later R&R such as "Midnight Confessions" by Grass Roots, "These Eyes" by Guess Who, etc...  and of course I like the Beatles. :)

Written By: woops on 02/02/06 at 4:01 am

I like some songs/artists, though mostly into their "greatest hits" that I constantly listened to and grew to like from The Beatles, Rolling Stones, The Doors, Supremes, Tempations, etc.

Then again, I never really got into bands like The Beach Boys

I mostly like music from the 1970's (rock) , '80's (new wave, pop, rock, rap), '90's (early '90's pop, alternative, early/mid '90's hip hop) and today (a few top 40 hits and several artists that may not be popular anymore).

Though If I were to choose music from this era from the '60's, I'd go with the '60's  8)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/02/06 at 11:32 am

I like music period. I'm fond of music from the 1960s-mid 1990s. After that date range, it's just pure crap.

I was born in 1976 to parents who actively listened to the music of the 60s and I loved it.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 02/02/06 at 8:37 pm

I like a lot of stuff from the mid to late 1960's, 70's(though not many disco-type songs), 80's(mostly hard rock, old Metallica, Megadeth, Twisted Sister, Iron Maiden, and of course Ozzy Osbourne! and oh yeah, stuff like "Enjoy The Silence" by Depeche Mode and Information Society's "What's On Your Mind"),90's stuff like Live, Lenny Kravitz,  Stone Temple Pilots, Silverchair, Pearl Jam, and Alice in Chains....and today's stuff like P.O.D., 3 Doors Down and Switchfoot.....

Written By: Carl on 02/03/06 at 1:05 pm

Well, anyone who has seen my posts knows that I LOVE 60s music, be it doo-wop early in the decade, folk, pyschidelic, Motown, etc, it just moves me. My favorite music era is 60s, 790s and 80s, those are the top three decades in music for me, but you could throw in some 90s too.  ;) And I do love 50s as well. Basically, each time period had a lot to offer.

Written By: the OlLine Rebel on 02/07/06 at 2:52 pm

Hi, I haven't posted in a year (or even been here), but hard for me to not butt in on a question like this.

Actually, as some1 else stated, "'60s" is too broad.  However, considering that, I'd say I'm sort of 50/50 on any given '60s music.  I like many of the most legendary stars of the period, but alot of the style - the goonie hippie style, e.g. - I can't much stand.  Or I can 1 day, then want to turn it off the next.

I like the early Beatles when they were really rock.  I don't like the goonie style that's supposed to be so cool - really just because it's "rebellious".  Of course, I don't like anything hippie, but the late Beatles just turns me off w/their nasally acid-trip "aaaaaAAAAaaa"-ing which to me is actually quite geeky sounding.  That latter stuff is why I'll say I like Stones better overall than Beatles.  Stones didn't have all the geeky weird stuff that hippie Beatles did.

And the horrible instruments they decided to play, like those Indian strings and so on.  Weird.  And often too geeky.  Of the white boys, anyway.

So if you just say "we're playing '60s music", I'm likely to avoid it.  But then, I love most Motown - both early and late - and alot of the most popular white groups.  Stones, Beach Boys, 4 Seasons, etc.

And I like the early '60s better.  Probably because it's more like '50s.  Basically, I like just about every era better than the '60s - except the '90s to now.  Not sure what to think there yet.

Written By: Trimac20 on 02/08/06 at 2:02 am

I agree with Odyssey, the 60s was possibly the most creative period in popular music with such a wide variety of songs. I probably prefer 60s music to 70s or 80s, but theres also a lot of 'alternative' stuff in the 90s and 00s which you don't get by listening to older mainstream acts. This, of course, is due to experimentation. While I appreciate older music from the 60s and 70s and can relate to the nostalgia (though I was born in 1986), I'm not one to look at the past instead of the future.

Its probably the 'square' image of such acts as Gerry and the Pacemaker, Englebert Humperdinck, Barry Manilow.etc which put off the younger generation. But its surprising how many secretly listen to such old songs. The Beatles have perhaps emerged a little better than say, even the Bee Gees. While acts such as Jimi Hendrix, the Doors (more late 60s) are still seen as 'cool.' Call me an anti-establishment snob, but 'coolness' is part of the establishment, and any band that tries to be hip just for the sake of it doesn't deserve to get anywhere.

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/08/06 at 2:16 am

^ Very good points, IMO. I think there were three basic eras of 60's music. Massive changes too, probably more than any other decade, which is a good reason why much of that stuff is "timelessly" cool.

1960-63 - Pretty much a continuation of the 50's (doo wop, ballads, R&B, and much less emphasis on rock). However, there were a scant few songs from this time which would hint at the "60s" 60s, such as The Kingsmen's "Louie Louie" and Peter Paul & Mary's "Blowing in the Wind".

1964-67 - Transitional. Rock was back, and the British Invasion was in full force, but more pop oriented.

1968-69 (with traces up to 1975) - More hard rock/trippy/edgy music. This is the era of the Doors, Led Zeppelin, heavier Rolling Stones and new frontiers elsewhere.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/08/06 at 10:52 am

^ Very good points, IMO. I think there were three basic eras of 60's music. Massive changes too, probably more than any other decade, which is a good reason why much of that stuff is "timelessly" cool.

1960-63 - Pretty much a continuation of the 50's (doo wop, ballads, R&B, and much less emphasis on rock). However, there were a scant few songs from this time which would hint at the "60s" 60s, such as The Kingsmen's "Louie Louie" and Peter Paul & Mary's "Blowing in the Wind".

1964-67 - Transitional. Rock was back, and the British Invasion was in full force, but more pop oriented.

1968-69 (with traces up to 1975) - More hard rock/trippy/edgy music. This is the era of the Doors, Led Zeppelin, heavier Rolling Stones and new frontiers elsewhere.

The '60s changed people's minds more than any other decade.  Seriously, the mindset of 2006 isn't all that different from the mindset of 1976, but 1976's mindset is a world apart from that of 1956.  During the '60s, we went from "Happy Days" to the beginnings of a globalized world.

As for tech, I'd either say the 1900-'10s, 1940s, or 1990s.  When you think about it, 1946-1994 is all loosely one technological era (TVs, the earliest computers, pre-Internet, etc).  Technology started taking off in the 1860s, but didn't really fully come into effect until the 1920s.

Written By: Dude111 on 12/26/17 at 4:14 am

I am just wondering why some people here don't like the music of the 1960's...I like a lot of it.....

I was born in 1969 but I gotta tell people,THE 60s WAS THE BEST MUSIC DECADE EVER!!

It was more diverse than ANYTHING.... The 50s is where it started and the 60s were top notch!! (Started getting worse in the 70s)

I found more gold on records from the 60s alone than I can tell you!!!!!! (Stuff I hadnt ever heard before)

THE 6Os is gold.......... NOTHING COMPARES!!

Written By: Howard on 12/26/17 at 6:45 am

I was born in 1969 but I gotta tell people,THE 60s WAS THE BEST MUSIC DECADE EVER!!

It was more diverse than ANYTHING.... The 50s is where it started and the 60s were top notch!! (Started getting worse in the 70s)

I found more gold on records from the 60s alone than I can tell you!!!!!! (Stuff I hadnt ever heard before)

So that would make you 48? ???

Written By: Dude111 on 12/26/17 at 7:19 am

47 right now..... How old are you buddy?

Written By: Howard on 12/26/17 at 7:42 am

47 right now..... How old are you buddy?

will be 44 in March and I don't even look my age.

Written By: Lizardmatum on 12/26/17 at 12:51 pm

I agree. It's great stuff, and that's coming from a guy who was born 25 years after the decade was over .

Written By: AmericanGirl on 12/26/17 at 10:45 pm

In the U.S., the early 60's was a relatively dull period.  But once the Beatles hit the U.S. things changed; not only were they on the mountaintop, they seemingly influenced everyone else's sound, too.

BTW I LOVE 60's music.  My musical "sweet spot" spans from 1964 through 1986 (even though I like plenty of music outside this range).

Written By: annimal on 12/26/17 at 10:56 pm

I was born in the 80's so I love a lot of 80's stuff but earlier as well.  I think 90's started sucking and did become horrible.

Cant answer why people who don't like 60's  don't like it.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/27/17 at 12:36 am

The only thing I don't like about the 1960's were the movies. TV and music were great, though.

Check for new replies or respond here...