inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Connie Francis...where's her place in the Rock N' Roll and is she Hall worthy?

Written By: hot_wax on 02/01/06 at 10:00 pm

Connie Francis, her voice was mesmerizing, she sang with a crying overtone in her voice that made you fall in love with her...well, maybe just me on that part. Connie had it all in the early 60's, one after another #1 hit songs, world wide popularity, a sweet humble public personality, always a virgin in her movies...where would you place her in the rise of Rock N' Roll and is she Rock and Roll Hall of Fame worthy?...

Subject: Re: Connie Francis...where's her place in the Rock N' Roll and is she Hall worthy?

Written By: the OlLine Rebel on 02/07/06 at 2:55 pm

Yes.  I love Connie Francis.  1 of the few people in the ever-increasing "rock" world who could sing - and sing entrancing songs.  Maybe that doesn't qualify as rock?  But then, I don't think anything now qualifies as "rock" since it's so different from the real rock&roll of the '50s.  Anyway, if "rock" simply is code for "popular" (which I believe it is because it's obvious from forums like this and "pop" history that no1 wants to be called "pop" anymore) then Francis should be in the HOF.

Subject: Re: Connie Francis...where's her place in the Rock N' Roll and is she Hall worthy?

Written By: schmartypantz on 02/07/06 at 9:47 pm

They should put her "where the boys are". :)

Written By: hot_wax on 02/07/06 at 11:05 pm

Yes.  I love Connie Francis.  1 of the few people in the ever-increasing "rock" world who could sing - and sing entrancing songs.  Maybe that doesn't qualify as rock?  But then, I don't think anything now qualifies as "rock" since it's so different from the real rock&roll of the '50s.  Anyway, if "rock" simply is code for "popular" (which I believe it is because it's obvious from forums like this and "pop" history that no1 wants to be called "pop" anymore) then Francis should be in the HOF.

Hi OlLine Rebel, yes, back in the late 50's Rock and Roll was still growing and refining itself into a lot of categories to help expand it's appeal and getting Black influenced music accepted into main stream White America.

Connie Francis was a tremendous female force in the late 50's getting Rock and Roll music accepted world wide. She young, pretty and her voice had a special unique tone to it, like she was singing and crying throughout her songs...it hooked me good! and I guess it did it to millions of others around the world too! she was the darling of the female singers of that time.

With the guidance from her domineering father, she sang Rock and Roll songs that were "soft and safe", songs that main stream America accepted and allowed their kids to listen to them, a lot like the Rock and Roll songs that Ricky Nelson, Bobby Darin sang at that time, songs that earned them place in the Hall, but it's not just their songs got them in, they're in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame for their contributions to the Rock and Roll movement also.

This is why I think Connie Francis is Rock and Roll Hall of Fame worthy, not only that she was a great singer and force in the world in getting rock and roll accepted in main stream White America, but she was a roll model for many of the up and coming young female singers who wanted do what she did and probably many who did make it in the music business would mention her somewhere with their success.

Personally, all is true of what I think of Connie Francis and her Hall worthyness but after I visited the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame I noticed that "with all of the females that were involved with success of Rock and Roll music over the years, they are not fairly represented as inductees for their contributions to it". In comparison to who has been inducted already, there's many females who deserve their due and should be inducted. Lets start with Connie Francis!  

Written By: hot_wax on 02/07/06 at 11:13 pm

They should put her "where the boys are". :)

How you doin'! schmartz, I know your kidding in what you said, but it's true, put her where the boys mostly are dominate...in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Subject: Re: Connie Francis...where's her place in the Rock N' Roll and is she Hall worth

Written By: danootaandme on 02/08/06 at 6:58 am

I would say she is. 

Who's Sorry Now
Stupid Cupid
Lipstick on Your Collar
Everybodies Somebodies Fool
Where The Boys Are
V-A-C-A-T-I-O-N

Written By: hot_wax on 02/08/06 at 5:49 pm

I would say she is. 

Who's Sorry Now
Stupid Cupid
Lipstick on Your Collar
Everybodies Somebodies Fool
Where The Boys Are
V-A-C-A-T-I-O-N

DanootaAnd Me, I guess that's a "no" by you? I respect your opinion, but if you want to discuss why you think she's not, look at who's been inducted already and weigh the their importance to the begingings and look at other who were inducted well after Rock was main stream music in our culture in the 60's 70's and the 80's.There's inductees with far less contribution to the beginings of Rock and Roll, actually, maybe those "Johnny Come Lately's" wouldn't even be the music business if pioneers like Connie didn't get the mass majority to accept Rock and Roll as a true form of music and not just a fad for the kids.

HW

Subject: Re: Connie Francis...where's her place in the Rock N' Roll and is she Hall worth

Written By: danootaandme on 02/08/06 at 7:19 pm

DanootaAnd Me, I guess thay's a "no" by you? I respect your opinion, but if you want to discuss why you think she's not, look at who's been inducted already and weigh the their importance to the begingings and look at other who were inducted well after Rock was main stream music in our culture in the 60's 70's and the 80's.There's inductees with far less contribution to the beginings of Rock and Roll, actually, maybe those "Johnny Come Lately's" wouldn't even be the music business if pioneers like Connie didn't get the mass majority to accept Rock and Roll as a true form of music and not just a fad for the kids.

HW

I said I think she is worthy.  I'm confused why you think different. 

Written By: hot_wax on 02/08/06 at 7:56 pm

I said I think she is worthy.  I'm confused why you think different. 

I'm Sorry about that, at first glance it looks like you were negative on her and used her song titles to discribe her and her chances being inducted, and then I re-read your reply and now I see it your way.

She had a very hard life and deserves her recognition for what she did for Rock and Roll today. I intend to write to the Hall and promote her credentials for her to be inducted into the Hall, and see where their position is on her in the mix of others that are in already with less influence to the beginings of Rock and Roll then she has had on it.

to be continued.

Written By: schmartypantz on 02/08/06 at 8:41 pm

well, if yer writing the Hall of Fame, let me know if it does any good.
I'm still waiting for the Moody Blues to get in. :)

Written By: hot_wax on 02/08/06 at 9:30 pm

well, if yer writing the Hall of Fame, let me know if it does any good.
I'm still waiting for the Moody Blues to get in. :)

Your right they're not in too, as a side bar I'll mention them also...after all "Every Good Boy Deserve Favor"...right?

Written By: danootaandme on 02/09/06 at 5:20 am

Your right they're not in too, as a side bar I'll mention them also...after all "All Good Boys Deserve Favor"...right?

Wait until Tuesday Afternoon.    ;)

Written By: danootaandme on 02/09/06 at 5:24 am

I'm Sorry about that, at first glance it looks like you were negative on her and used her song titles to discribe her and her chances being inducted, and then I re-read your reply and now I see it your way.

She had a very hard life and deserves her recognition for what she did for Rock and Roll today. I intend to write to the Hall and promote her credentials for her to be inducted into the Hall, and see where their position is on her in the mix of others that are in already with less influence to the beginings of Rock and Roll then she has had on it.

to be continued.

From what I understand, she has never gotten over the rape she suffered years back.  That and her overbearing father have made her
mentally fragile.  Whenever I see young superstars I get real wary of their lives, and the people driving them.

Written By: hot_wax on 02/09/06 at 5:56 pm

Yes that's a good idea!, but I'll have to wait until the "The Afternoon"  during my "Lunch Break".

Written By: hot_wax on 02/09/06 at 9:59 pm

From what I understand, she has never gotten over the rape she suffered years back.  That and her overbearing father have made her
mentally fragile.  Whenever I see young superstars I get real wary of their lives, and the people driving them.

Yes all that and her brother being killed by the mob too sent her over the top and down into a deep depression. She was from an old fashion Italian home and their old traditions. She was caught between the Old and Modern Worlds and it tore her mind apart trying to please everyone but herself.

Connie wasn't aloud to date even when she reached Stardom status and listened to her father's every command, I think it was Frankie Avalon she liked and was forbidden to see him by her father, and was the "Frankie" in her song she was singing about, she obeyed him on his demand and that's how she lived all of her Star Life behind the scenes. She deserves more than being inducted into the Hall...maybe more like the "Congressional Metal of Honor" for sacrificing her life to please so many others.

Written By: belladonna on 02/12/06 at 5:40 am

Connie wasn't aloud to date even when she reached Stardom status and listened to her father's every command, I think it was Frankie Avalon she liked and was forbidden to see him by her father, and was the "Frankie" in her song she was singing about,

I never knew that she was involved with Frankie Avalon but I know she was in love with Bobby Darin and read somewhere that her father didn't approve.

Written By: hot_wax on 02/12/06 at 9:49 pm

That's it! c'mon it's your turn keep it going!... Schmartypants, you too!

Written By: hot_wax on 03/02/06 at 10:02 pm

This is strange, as if she was calling out to me, I was down in my cellar before and and I was in my junk room and I was drawn to an old box buried amongst a ton of my collection of treasures or garbage as my wifes puts it, and I had to open this old shoe box and BAM! old 45 records that I picked up in a gargage sale years ago and forgot about, all in their jackets and like new, but whats strange is that I was drawn to this buried box and the first 45 record on top of the pile, in it's jacket, like new, was an original Connie Francis's recording of "Who Sorry Now", I'm speechless, I just have to get in touch with her now after all these years...

HW   

Written By: John Donatelli on 10/26/06 at 8:12 am

Connie Francis, her voice was mesmerizing, she sang with a crying overtone in her voice that made you fall in love with her...well, maybe just me on that part. Connie had it all in the early 60's, one after another #1 hit songs, world wide popularity, a sweet humble public personality, always a virgin in her movies...where would you place her in the rise of Rock N' Roll and is she Rock and Roll Hall of Fame worthy?...

If you'd like to know if Connie Francis is Hall of Fame worthy, just visit my web page at http://www.freewebs.com/conniefrancis/rrhof.htm

Written By: hot_wax on 10/26/06 at 7:08 pm

If you'd like to know if Connie Francis is Hall of Fame worthy, just visit my web page at http://www.freewebs.com/conniefrancis/rrhof.htm

John, you did a real great job on your site for our girl Connie, it seems you had a crush on her all these years too like me and it almost hurts to see that the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame isn't giving her the respect she deserves, after all, Connie Francis's contribution getting rock and roll music accepted as a true new sound in music to the world wide masses is a building block to why the Rock and Roll Hall of fame was created...to honor those who help made rock and roll what it is today. 

I wrote the Hall via mail with no responce also, I only hope that others like you and me get someone at the Hall with clout and a conscious to read our pleas and get Connie Francis onto their ballot cards and unanimously vote her into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame where she belongs amongst her peers.

Good job JD, your site is on my favorite list and a disciple for Connie's cause.

Hot Wax

Written By: hot_wax on 01/13/07 at 12:15 am

Connie Francis didn't make it to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame again this year 2007. The five Artists who made it in this year is the band called...Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five...REM...The Ronettes...Pattie Smith...and Van Halen.

They where voted in by the 600 Founder Members of the Hall. they will be officailly inducted March 12th at the Waldrof-Astoria in NYC.

I'm not saying that all of these Artists are not worthy of Hall of Fame status but REM, Van Halen and that Grandmaster group, who I never heard of before, should be concidered for what they contributed to the expansion of Rock and Roll or after 50 years in the business. They now any so and so are concidered for the Hall after 25 years from their first recording, that's all! and that sucks! their are hundreds of Artists way before these guys where born who sould be there before them...like Connie Francis and I going to go back again to them and fight for her induction to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, she's well over due for her place in there.

I'm pissed! I'll keep you posted.       

Written By: danootaandme on 01/13/07 at 8:41 am

Connie Francis didn't make it to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame again this year 2007. The five Artists who made it in this year is the band called...Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five...REM...The Ronettes...Pattie Smith...and Van Halen.

They where voted in by the 600 Founder Members of the Hall. the will by officailly inducted March 12th at the Waldrof-Astoria in NYC.

I'm not saying that all of these Artists are not worthy of Hall of Fame status but REM, Van Halen and that Grandmaster group, who I never heard of before, should be concidered for what they contributed to the expansion of Rock and Roll or after 50 years in the business. They now any so and so are concidered for the Hall after 25 years from their first recording, that's all! and that sucks! their are hundreds of Artists way before these guys where born who sould be there before them...like Connie Francis and I going to go back again to them and fight for her induction to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, she's well over due for her place in there.

I'm pissed! I'll keep you posted.       

I'd give a hip-check to Smith for Connie anyday!

Written By: hot_wax on 01/14/07 at 7:59 pm

I'd give a hip-check to Smith for Connie anyday!

There must be some kind of "Payola" given to these 600 members to vote some of these Artists who were run of the mill singers or local bands, who are the Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five? really who are they? where did they come from? I never heard of them. What did they do to expand the Rock and Roll movement??? I'm going to do some research and see who they are and what they did for Rock and Roll and if they're ligit'.

I'm still pissed!

Written By: hot_wax on 01/14/07 at 8:26 pm

There must be some kind of "Payola" given to these 600 members to vote some of these Artists who were run of the mill singers or local bands, who are the Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five? really who are they? where did they come from? I never heard of them. What did they do to expand the Rock and Roll movement??? I'm going to do some research and see who they are and what they did for Rock and Roll and if they're ligit'.

I'm still pissed!

I found Grandmaster Flash official site, Well, in all honesty, he, a disc jockey, was innovative with a new the sound by scratching records and it was an avenue for a unique classification in Rock and Roll hense the Hip Hop generation was born...that's cool, and had grounds for Hall worthy concideration...Congratulations Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five.

Check for new replies or respond here...