inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Your Favoriet Oldies Radio Station

Written By: Dan78 on 02/06/06 at 6:59 pm

What is your favorite oldies radio station?

Even though I don't live in the area anymore and greatly miss, mine is:

99.7 FM (K.F.R.C) San Francisco!

Subject: Re: Your Favoriet Oldies Radio Station

Written By: star500 on 02/07/06 at 8:02 am

Here in Canada, we have station that I love called Oldies 1310. I'm from Ottawa. They play everything, from the '50's to the '70s. On Sundays they have what they called "Sentimental Journey" when they play music from the '30s and '40s. I've tuned in and heard everything from Bill Haley and the Comets to the Beatles to the Rolling Stones and lots more! And the best part is, they don't interrupt very much with advertisments. They have a DJ called Brother Bob. I always thought that was funny, hehehe. ;D

Written By: ADH13 on 02/09/06 at 5:20 pm

What is your favorite oldies radio station?

Even though I don't live in the area anymore and greatly miss, mine is:

99.7 FM (K.F.R.C) San Francisco!

I don't know how long you've been gone from the area... but KFRC has changed alot, it's not nearly as good as it used to be.  They play alot of 70's rock (Bad Company, etc), disco and 80's stuff now.  They hardly ever play doo-wop or motown anymore :(

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/09/06 at 5:34 pm

I have a couple:

100.1 FM here in Atlanta and 104.3 WJMK out of Chicago (where I grew up).

Written By: Dan78 on 02/10/06 at 11:01 pm

I don't know how long you've been gone from the area... but KFRC has changed alot, it's not nearly as good as it used to be.  They play alot of 70's rock (Bad Company, etc), disco and 80's stuff now.  They hardly ever play doo-wop or motown anymore :(

I left the area back in 1998, so it has been a long time gone by. I Remember Dick Bartley that used to do an oldies show back in the day about every Sunday night, and he would play original recordings of many oldies, in authentic stereo sound. They would feature an artist that would tell stories on how they got started or why they created their song. Not commonly found on today's stations. It was really interesting and I would lay there listening for many hours to the weekend night shows. I'm sorry to hear that the station has gone down hill.  :( But I have golden memories of the "old" KFRC as being a "60's station!" Miss it. Miss it. Miss it.  :\'( :\'( :\'(

Written By: belladonna on 02/12/06 at 4:58 am

I have a couple:

100.1 FM here in Atlanta and 104.3 WJMK out of Chicago (where I grew up).

WJMK isn't an oldies station anymore, not what I consider an oldies station.  They went to a Jack FM format as of last summer.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 02/12/06 at 5:08 am

Not that I listen to radio much, if ever. But we have:

Coast: Timeless Music 1593AM <--- Probably the best of the bunch. Has very few ads too. Plays mostly popular music from the 40s to the 70s.
Solid Gold FM <--- A bit more upbeat than Coast, plays popular and classic rock music from the 60s and 70s mostly.

There is a classic rock station and a classic hits station, but I wouldn't consider them "oldies".

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/13/06 at 1:30 am

WJMK isn't an oldies station anymore, not what I consider an oldies station.  They went to a Jack FM format as of last summer.

You're kidding!  I used to listen to that station all the time. 

That's such an effing shame.  >:(

Written By: whistledog on 02/13/06 at 10:33 am

Here in Canada, we have station that I love called Oldies 1310. I'm from Ottawa. They play everything, from the '50's to the '70s. On Sundays they have what they called "Sentimental Journey" when they play music from the '30s and '40s. I've tuned in and heard everything from Bill Haley and the Comets to the Beatles to the Rolling Stones and lots more! And the best part is, they don't interrupt very much with advertisments. They have a DJ called Brother Bob. I always thought that was funny, hehehe. ;D

I see ads all the time on CJOH-TV for Oldies 1310 :)

The oldies station we have here is GTO 960.  In the 80's, it was called 960 C-FOX, and it was a modern day station that played popular songs.  In the 90's, it switched to oldies and is doing quite well

Written By: holicman on 02/17/06 at 6:06 am

Over here in Australia there are 3 stations.

there is "magic 694" AM station.

The other more commercial station is Gold FM 104.3.

Triple MMM sometimes do play Rock Classics, and you never know what they will play next, so they are good to listen to.

Written By: belladonna on 02/19/06 at 5:39 am

You're kidding!  I used to listen to that station all the time. 

That's such an effing shame.   >:(

Yep, sux in a big way!  You can still listen to it online, that's where they shuffled Fred Winston and Dick Biondi off to.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/21/06 at 2:03 am

In the UK, Radio2 plays a good amount of Oldies along with some better modern stuff.

Written By: gameboy2000 on 02/22/06 at 6:09 pm

We have cool 92.1 here. Also, 88.7, a high school station plays 50's and 60's music in their "Hall of Fame" show from 12:00-3-00 P.M. during the week and from midnight to 6:00 a.m. on the weekends.

Check for new replies or respond here...