inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Was Jim Morrison a credible poet?

Written By: Trimac20 on 02/08/06 at 2:07 am

I'm no literary expert, and frankly I don't see why half the celebrated poets in literature deserve that reputation. But, that's me. I haven't really read all of Morrisons' poetry; mainly just song lyrics, and a few poems like Celebration of a Lizard, and personally can't really decide. Just wondering what the opinion of people are aren't experts in literature is...

Subject: Re: Was Jim Morrison a credible poet?

Written By: NozmoKing on 02/08/06 at 8:37 pm

NO!

NozmoKing

Written By: Watcher29 on 02/10/06 at 8:13 am

Jim Morrison was a hack as a poet, but he did set his poems to some good music. Gotta give the man some props.

Written By: GREEN67 on 02/12/06 at 4:44 am

8) I really got into The Doors..but I bought Jims book of poetry..and frankly I think it was the Acid and other drugs that inspired his writing...he could sing..but he wasnt a poet

Written By: holicman on 02/17/06 at 5:55 am

I enjoyed what Jim Morrison was all about, i think his life in the end was one big poem.

I agree that his best poetry was put to music.

Probably Riders on the storm was his best Lyrically that went commercial.

Written By: Trimac20 on 02/18/06 at 5:21 am

Ray Manzarek was all too quick to speak in gloating terms of Jim's earlier work. Being high aside, he thought the lyrics to "Moonlight Drive" were the best he'd ever heard for a rock and roll song.  ::)

My personal view? I really don't think I'm qualified to say, that's why I asked...

Check for new replies or respond here...